all I can smell is SMOKE!!

by Prisca 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Downunderandout
    Downunderandout

Prisca

Take care hon, there is always room at my place in Melbourne if you want to escape the smoke for a bit. Be careful and let us know if you need anything.

DUO

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Down under.

What hasnt she told you??? Shes plannin on movin in there with you next month anyway because she wants to escape Sydney town and move where the culture is. Melb.

lol

• Eric
    Eric

Prisca,

When I was working in the forestry industry in British Columbia, Canada, I had to take a training course and hold a certificate in basic forest fire-fighting.

One of the things they stressed was that no matter how dim and red the sun may appear to be through all the smoke, DO NOT look directly at the sun. Even in these conditions, with the smoke choking out much of the visible light, there are still other frequencies of radiation harmful to your eyes beaming straight through.

So be careful as you peer through that camera lens.

Here's hoping that smoke damage is the worst that comes to you.

Eric

• kelpie
    kelpie

I just got off the phone to my sister. She lives in Castle Hill. She told me that our friends in Borwra had to be evacuated last night.

They havent lost their house at this stage but it got pretty close.

My parents live in Cessnock state forrest but the fires are not near them... It is closer to all the wineries in Pokolbin.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hey Prisca...I've been watching the late news and early morning news to get regular updates...its looking really scarey. Hang in there kiddo.

Btw Downunder...I told Prisca we'd give her a call on Saturday from the venue of the meetup so we can all say g'day from the city voted most popular place in the world to live - Melbourne!

~Beck~ of the 'rubbing it in' class

ps...hey Pris, are you guys allowed to flush number ones?? Just wonderin'

• Mackin
    Mackin

Thinking of you Prisca,

I hope you're OK. I know you don't live near the fires but it must be horrible breathing the smokey air. Over here it's raining still. Wierd how the weather can be so different on opposite sides of the Tasman.

Mackin.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

There were some promising looking clouds coming over a little earlier:

But they just kept going over! The sky is blue now...

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hey Stephanus

I think I saw those clouds over the south of Sydney. As you said, they just passed by with not a drop of rain.

It is still very windy, but thanks to a cool change that came through last night, it's alot cooler. However, the fires are blazing away in areas north of Sydney. The main areas affected are to the north of Sydney, not anywhere near the metro part, but the far northern suburbs which are located within or adjacent to National Parks.

The smoke situation has eased where I live, but no matter which way you look, there is a ring of smoke over the horizon.

Edited to add a huge THANK YOU to everyone expressing concern. I am not in harm's way, but it is still a stressful situation to see so much smoke surrounding our beautiful city, knowing that people's homes are being destroyed by the fires.

Edited by - Prisca on 6 December 2002 3:8:53

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit