What to do with those who abuse kids??

by JT 29 Replies latest social relationships

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Kill them all, and let god sort 'em out!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"LIke it or not (and most don't) while society decides that they should live and be eventually released, the only way to stop more kids being abused is by reducing re-offending"

Bingo. I agree...

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Short of just shooting the bastards, put them on a self sustaining island in the middle of know where, only women with women, men with men, so they can't have offspring, on different islands. Castrait them, and leave them to fend for themselves.

• Valis
    Valis

If it were my choice they would be jailed forever, castrated, or shot or all three., but this is not realistic. As well, it must be noted that sexual offenders may not always be pedophiles. As an example, I have a friend who got too friendly with this young woman and didn't ask to see some ID before getting down to business...She lied and said she was 19.. I could have slapped him. Now he's a registered sex offender and basically ruined his life. She was 16 and he was almost 30. He never actually had sex w/her....just a bit of inappropriate touching etc...DUMB DUMB DUMB! He has several years left on probation now and has had to start all over. Just wanted to throw that in to remind that not all sexual offenders are necessarily peophiles.. Just dumbasses who make mistakes. *LOL*...

I also found this article, which is a little technical, but I figured it might not hurt to add to this thread.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Dia
    Dia

That's a really good article.

Do you have a link for it so it can be copied?

thanks

• Valis
  • Dia
    Dia

What happens in the real world?

They're sentenced for varying lengths of time, depending on the crime. Perhaps get some 'in house' treatment? Depends on where they are.

They automatically go on a registered sex offenders list.

Their name, photo, address and crime are posted for all the world to see - even online. And can be gotten for free by anyone, from the local police department.

Astute parents and/or teachers check these things out so they know their 'neighbors'.

In the end, it all comes down to parents or guardians to look out for their kids.

I agree about what SHOULD happen.

But at the moment, this is what we have to work with.

• Dia
    Dia

thanks

• Realist
    Realist

kill them??? these people are mentally ill for christ sake! they should undergo treatment and perhaps should get castrated but certainly not killed!

• Scully
    Scully

Simon writes:

On the radio was a system they have in Canada where people agree to form a social circle around an ex-offender and meet with them everyday.

I can see how this might work initially, in terms of giving the offender a distraction and a venue where he/she can observe "normal" behaviour and integrate it into his/her own life. However, this is just a first step, and a therapeutic one, at that. The participants would have to be totally able to deal with listening to the individual talk through their cravings - kind of the way a sponsor would at AA. How many people are capable of doing that and remaining non-judgemental when the person's "drug of choice" is to molest children? Eventually though, they have to take responsibility for their relationships and meet new people and increase their social circle. What happens if (when?) a social relationship deteriorates? Do disappointments of this nature - as sometimes happens with alcoholism and drug abuse - drive the individual back into their own "comfortable" patterns so that they re-offend?

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of long-term results come from a program of this sort, both for the offender and the ones who participate in the rehabilitation project. I wonder how participating in a program of this nature affects the ones who agree to form a social circle around an offender. I don't think I could do it myself.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit