White Christmas, QUESTION?

by zev 11 Replies latest jw friends

• zev
    zev

In my part of the world, it *usually* snows in the winter time. (but not always!) (I love the snow, and the winter)

also, because of that fact that it usually snows, DUBS were inclined to hope for NO SNOW at Christmas time.

They felt that it was a good thing and would ruin Christmas for those celebrating it if it DIDN'T snow.

(at least thats how i interped the remarks i heard.)

How did you feel about a white Christmas when you were a DUB? (if you lived in those areas that have snow)

Did you secretly hope it would rain, or be sunny? or did it just not matter either way to you?

thanks!

zev...who is,

Approaching the one year mark! WOO HOO!

• LB
    LB

We hoped for snow out here. For a couple of years a large group of witnesses would head up to the inner tube hill on Christmas day. Then it all started falling apart and another fun event was canceled.

• happy2b
    happy2b

Well, I"m in Alabama, so we rarely see snow. That was never an issue for field service down here.

But, I always hope for some snow. I'd love to have a nice big ol' SNOW!!!!!!! It's so beautiful and sooooooo quiet!! I love it!!

Hugs,

Happy2b

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I was never a Dub so can't relate to this wish, but it's a misplaced one if they hold it. My best Christmas ever was spent in the Desert of Saudi Arabia (or Iraq depending on whose border you accepted). I had no tree, no presents, no family, but did have a deep spiritual sense of the meaning of the Holiday.

Sure, the traditions that come with the idealized version of Christmas are great fun, but they (for me) only add to the flavor and enhance it, the core issue is what's important.

• Mary
    Mary

I must admit, I always did, and still do, pray for nice weather......not cus' I want to ruin anyone's Christmas, but because I HATE winter with a passion...........I think Canada and the USA should be split vertically instead of horizontally, so we could frigging move somewhere WARM with sandy beaches and palm trees and soothing oceans LOL!!! I'm sure Americans would go for that!!!!.............well, you'll have to excuse me while I throw salt on my front porch so I don't break my neck on the ice out there!!!

• Scully
    Scully

For a few years, Christmas day was the most boring day of the year, bar none. We weren't allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio because of the Christmas programming that was on them. We couldn't go play with kids in the neighbourhood because they were too busy with their Christmas stuff and my parents didn't want us to feel like we were missing out. So what did we do instead?? We went in service, and got yelled at by householders who were irate that we were disturbing them on a holiday, especially one they knew that we didn't observe. Then after two hours of that we got together at another dubs house for coffee and shared stories about how persecuted we all felt that morning.

Then someone came up with a brilliant idea that it would be a great day to go skiing at Mont Tremblant or Mont St-Sauveur. We had the chalet all to ourselves for the most part and the ones who didn't feel like going skiing could sit around the fireplace and play some board games. We made snow people and had snowball fights. We had specific instructions to ignore the Christmas decorations though. "Do not touch the unclean thing" and all that. LOL. All that stopped when the CO suggested that it was "looking back to Egypt" to try to have fun on Christmas Day - essentially replacing the festivities that worldly people had on Christmas with something that was a mere substitute. In other words, we were better off going door to door and getting yelled at like before.

Love, Scully

• blondie
    blondie

Nope, in 50 years as a JW and 10 different congregations in 3 countries, never heard any JW wish for no snow for that reason.

There are too many snowmobilers, skiers, sledders among JWs I've known that would cry if there were no snow. I can remember going tobogganing on a snowy Xmas day. We went ice skating one year and brought hot chocolate to the warming house along with a little lunch. I can remember JW kids wishing for a blizzard so school would be closed.

Blondie(who is no Picabo Street)

• shera
    shera

I do recall,hearing JW's say..oh yeh they got their snow to make their christmas day...things like that.It was awwwweee..shoot,they got snow.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

hi zev,

we never thought about the weather in terms of ruining it for the worldlies. we went up to the mountains every chance we got and played in the snow. there was one place in particular that was actually a dry lake bed and which was excellent for inner-tubing. then we would drive higher into the san francisco peaks and ride the ski lifts to the top and play some more. of course i was always curious as to what lay behind the next turn, so i went off the beaten path and sledded down and down and got my momentum going and hit a huge bump in the road and veered off into another direction and faster and faster i went. finally i stopped. i got up, brushed off the snow and knelt down to look at some little blades of grass growing through the snow. i thought wow that's pretty weird and as i tried to grasp them i realized they were actually the tops of pine trees far below me, and that i was at the edge of a cliff. that's when i realized how close i had come to oblivion. fortunately i found my way back after hiking for a while and calling out. i'm glad it was a bright sunny day. naturally my experience turned into an object lesson on what happens when you stray. sheesh.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

yes I guess I could say I use to think that way. We get snow In Nebraska but there have been a few times where it was brown or the snow that was on the ground was dirty looking. This year it doesn't matter it will be christmas INSIDE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit