Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Bendrr 20 Replies latest jw friends

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

"I think I struck a nerve with my microwave comments."

You don't have to "cook" in the micro! But it is Sooooo handy to warm up the leftovers!!

Edited by - NewLight2 on 1 December 2002 19:47:43

• larc
    larc

Bendr, one thing nice thing about many Italian dishes is that they taste better the next day. I know lasagne takes a lot of prep time. You could make and bake it the day before and warm it up just before dinner. Oops, never mind, cancel, cancel, my wife said that is not a good idea. Quick question: what is shrimp champagne? Another question: do you make your sauce from scratch or do you buy premade sauce? For the ones in a jar, I like Classico with black olives and mushrooms. Thought re: shrimp, one way I like shrimp is in an alfredo sauce over pasta.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Larc, here's shrimp champagne:

Ingredients
    8 ounces angel hair pasta
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 1/2 cups champagne
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons minced shallots
    2 plum tomatoes, diced
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Directions
    1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    2Meanwhile, heat oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Cook and stir mushrooms in oil until tender. Remove mushrooms from pan, and set aside.
    3Combine shrimp, champagne, and salt in the frying pan, and cook over high heat. When liquid just begins to boil, remove shrimp from pan. Add shallots and tomatoes to champagne; boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup cream; boil until slightly thick, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and mushrooms to sauce, and heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Toss hot, cooked pasta with remaining 1/4 cup cream and parsley. To serve, spoon shrimp with sauce over pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Here's a favorite seafood recipe of mine, with an Italian bent to it:

1 box of New Zealand green lip mussels (I can get them at Cap'n Dave's Seafood here in Plano for $7.99 and they're already cleaned and blanched and on the half shell)

1 package (whatever size - 1 lb. is good) frozen cooked shrimp with the tails on

1 lb. of sea scallops (the big ones)

1 stick butter

2 cups white wine

1 jar Emeril's Roasted Ga-a-h-h-hlic Pasta Sauce

Dashes of black pepper and red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like it

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the wine and simmer for 4 minutes. Add all the seafood, put the lid on the pan and let it thaw out/simmer for a while (probably about 15 minutes or so, enough time to pour yourself a glass of wine and mellow out). When everything is starting to look sort of cooked/thawed out, add the entire jar of Emeril's sauce, as well as any additions you care to make. Bring everything to a simmer and serve with linguine and a really good bread. And more wine.

Nina

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Lasagna? For Christmas? that's disgusting ..you people are totally mad! lol. Excuse me pea'n on yer christmas cake but what ever happenned to the traditional burning of the roast and brussel sprouts? Even way down here, where it's 110 in the shade we follow the pagan rites and burn stuff for xmas .. you at least gotta have the hot plum pudding and chunky custard!

Here Bendrr, please accept for consideration my new recipe for traditional xmas bliss: (not a micro-watts-it in sight)

1) Light a really big fire and let it settle into a heap of red hot coals that'd make pompei proud.

2) Take 1 big leg of a freshly killed animal (cow, sheep, kangaroo, zebra or fundamentalist christian, depending on where you live)

3) Toss the leg into the biggest dutch oven (cast iron pan) you can beg steal or borrow and "bury it deep in lava" (an old song but a goody)

4) After an hour, open the oven and toss in a bucket of potatoes a few carrots and any other vegtables you can find (something for the ladies;)

5) Replace the lid and cover with hot coals.

Now you have a bit of time spare you can try nude fire-walzing, browning your mash-mellows or just sit back in the shade with a beer, coffee, tea, champagne, milkshake or whatever (and not necessarily in that order) and wait for the smell of heaven to awake your ofactory glands - when a sweet tender aroma drifts by - be quick - jump up and remove your masterpeice of culnary delight now or it'll burn as quick and sure as an ex-jw attracts fundamentalist blowflies and biblemaggots!

Happy Christmas Everyone!

hyper-critical unclebruce .. it's a dark moon tonight so I'll be feasting on fresh prawns and crayfish* till 2003

*shrimps and lobster? Aussies Note: Xmas is a time to be tollerant of children and little people, besides, "throwing another shrimp on the barbie" is illegal in all states but Tasmania!

Edited by - unclebruce on 1 December 2002 21:13:27

• snakecharmer
    snakecharmer

easy recipe.... calls for

2 or 3 ice cold kegs of beer , and the phone number for the nearest pizza delivery service. now thats italian...

• Pete2
    Pete2

I forgot, how many are comin' over?

I've got a meatloaf recipe that feeds 800.

Let me know if ya' need it ...

Pete2

• Mum
    Mum

For dessert, how about zabaglione (or, as we Anglos say, custard) with either raspberry or chocolate sauce, or a choice of either. This can easily be made the day before. Kids love Jello molds, too, and they're easy. Anyone with ideas about how to "Italianize" Jello?

With utmost admiration,

Mum

• Dia
    Dia

Trust me, you can get lost in this place but you will so ENJOY it!

www.epicurious.com

Recipes from the many cooking magazines listed - and others.

To really enjoy it, click on the 'advanced search'.

You can choose the ethnicity (in this case, Italian). The occasion (Christmas) and whatever else. (Or none of it).

Then choose an ingredient, such as brussel sprouts, or a course, such as side dish or dessert.

You can even choose how you would like it to be prepared (boil, broil, bake, saute, etc.)

And BEST OF ALL are the comments with most recipes from people who have made it. They rate it. They tell how they liked it, what they changed or added or would change next time and etc., etc., etc.

And once in awhile, there's even a picture!

There are THOUSANDS of recipes here. Don't forget to come up for air.

You've got guests coming over for Christmas, remember?

Enjoy!

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Spinach or Sasauge Manacoti. Rice balls are really good too (family recipe, always a hit), Eggplant or Chicken Parm. I am sure I can think of more later. I will post my family sauce recipe later it is so good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit