Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Bendrr 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Yes your old pal Bendrr has gone and done it this time! I've committed myself to hosting Christmas Day at my place and that includes cooking a Christmas dinner for at least 11 people.

I already planned on my "adopted" family coming over which would be no big deal, just snacks and a few beers. But this year I spent Thanksgiving with my older brother and his family. We were talking about plans for Xmas and I offered for them to come over and let me do the cooking. (of course my sister in law jumped at the chance, i mean what mom wouldn't take the opportunity to stay out of the kitchen on Christmas?)

I've never officially hosted a holiday and this is my first chance. Now I can indeed cook, as my friends and family will tell you. But I've never cooked on such a large scale before. I'm not going to cook a turkey or a ham. Too traditional, too conventional. Two things this family is not. None of them know what I'm going to cook, but I do know they're expecting me to outdo myself in the kitchen so I can't let them down. So I was thinking of cooking a big Italian meal since I just love Italian. I've been surfing recipe sites online for ideas and everything I read sounds good. But I've got to narrow it down a little. I need to put together a spread that everyone will enjoy, come back for seconds and thirds, and still leave some leftovers that I can take to work and share with the guys at the shop.

So I'm hoping that we've got some Italians here or at least some knowlegable afficianados who can provide some guidance as to a good menu. Help me out here y'all. This is my first time hosting a Christmas dinner and I want to make it one for the history books.

Mike, who after hitting the [post] button is back to surfing and printing out recipes.

p.s. keep in mind that I don't have a microwave. I detest them and will not tolerate my cooking being soiled by one of those infernal contraptions from hell. The only compromise I've ever made in my cooking is using electric instead of gas and that is as far as I will ever go.

• Been there
    Been there

Microwave is electric.................Isn't it????????

I'm kinda parchal to Lazagna, a nice salad, a big loaf of nice french garlic bread. yum

• larc
    larc

How about a separate dish of lasagna, manicotti, brochi (sp?), along with an Italian antipasto, marinated mushrooms, and garlic bread.

• josephus
    josephus

hi

as a 28 year old single guy i find it hard to cook for lots of geusts, however if i can give any help it would be that you should KEEP IT SIMPLE.

dont go crazy with every little thing make one or two big EASY dishes ans stick too that. lasagna ore chilli or both.

buy desert make it exspensive with ice cream everybody likes that.

good luck enjoy and dont get worked up on the day

josephus

the most memorble part of your dinner will be the company, not the food

• waiting
    waiting

I like my microwave. I like my crockpot too.

Lasagna, salad & Tiramasu (sp?) sound heavenly. Along with good wine, who could ask for more?

Oh! That flat bread with veggies on top dipped in flavored Olive Oil! Faccosia Bread (sp?) - it's great, REALLY great!

Obviously, I'm not Italian 'cause I can't spell any of this stuff!

Irish waiting wish you Good Luck.

• animal
    animal

We do Lasagne every xmas eve.... she is making 4 trays of it this year, we are having the neighbors over.

Animal

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Bendrr:

To most of my Italian friends, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a big lasagne dinner. They skip the turkey and ham thing.

Since I'll be working night shifts on Christmas eve and Christmas day, I'll be spending the vast majority of those two days sleeping - except for opening gifts on Christmas morning after I come home from work, and for about a couple of hours before I have to go to work. A nice lasagne works for me - I can make the sauce the day before, then put everything together easily and pop it in the oven when I wake up. Garlic bread, a nice salad and a simple dessert goes along well too.

We're also going to do a big hors d'oeuvres tray with cold cuts, cheese, crackers and veggies with a couple of different dips on Christmas eve. My kids love this kind of dinner, they much prefer it over a big turkey dinner, and it's a lot less stressful for me to put together. No leftovers either.

Love, Scully

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Here is a link.

http://www.angiesrealm.com/christmas/recipes/xmas-dinners.html (Looks good to me) And there are more cooking mags out there for ideas than wts. (Well, maybe not)

One thing that we do at my house is a gift exchange that is a lot of fun.

The rules can vary but this year my rules are the gift has to be "Hot" "Spicey"
    and "soft." Other times it has been open but under $10.00. Once it was anything goes accept popcorn and free movie rentals.

I plan to have a secret prize for the best gift given and a boobie prize for the worst. The gift exchange has become the highlight of Xmas for us. Everyone is involved and having fun for about 1/2 the night with it.

Final tip. Don't stress. Use booze if nessesary. Don't stress.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I think I struck a nerve with my microwave comments.

I'm gonna keep this thread near the top for a while.

Lasagne is good and may be one of the dishes I make. I was thinking maybe some seafood. Shrimp champagne maybe. Bread definitely, with some sauce and goat cheese. Plenty of pasta.

Josephus, thanks for the advice to keep it simple but unfortunately in this case simple isn't good enough.

Mike.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

BTTT.

I have another guest coming over for Christmas dinner so now it's going to be even better than I expected. I'll tell about that in another thread.

Keep the food talk going! I need the help and appreciate all the info.

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit