Was I a coward?

by DanTheMan 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Dan the Man, You wrote:

he has visited some ex-jw websites, and in his mind none of them offer any "scriptural proof" that the WT is incorrect. "Who else is doing the work that we do?" he asked?

(((Dan))) Of course no one is doing the work the dubs do! Why would anyone take on such a useless task just to add numbers to their member list? It still doesn?t prove they have the truth. It only proves that their members are brainwashed followers of leaders who lay these high control commands on them.

Now I should tell you that he is a person that I regard as being more intelligent than I am.

Intelligence is relative. I figure as long as he is a dub, that is a strike against his intelligence and his awareness as a human being. Anyone who has the nerve to go to a strangers door and proceed to make a judgment on their spirituality, to the effect that theirs is somehow defective, cannot be all that bright. In effect they are saying, ?I?m okay, you are not okay.? How primitive is that?

For you to feel somehow inferior ? perhaps your own self-esteem has taken a beating and you are still in recovery mode? I say take it easy on yourself. Be with people who build you up. This forum is a great place!

This situation has been working on me ever since. It is so frustrating for me because in spite of all I have learned, I have no desire to debate JW issues with persons such as him, and to a certain degree I fear "smart" JW's. I feel like I should be more willing to "take on" such persons.

I say stop beating on yourself. And stop ?should-ing? on yourself for some imagined ?failure?. You don?t have to do anything you feel does not support you on your "exit the dubs path" -- whatever you are choosing. Just be true to yourself in this. You have no obligations to these people. Also, you (and we all) know that debating with a closed-minded person is just a waste of breath and energy -- so why bother? Choose to do something that builds you up rather than tears you down.

Dan, you are no coward in my books. I think it takes courage to take a stand against an entire borg ? and leave! I'm proud of you!!!

Love,

ESTEE

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks Estee for the kind words!

Actually, as it turns out, the person that I was speaking of when I started this thread back in '02 was none other than AlmostAtheist, a regular poster on this board now, and a very "ex" ex-JW.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Sorry about some of the things I said in this thread Dave, it was borne of frustration

No sweat, my friend. If anything, you were kind. I'm just lucky you didn't post my reply!

Dave

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Actually Dan, AA has quite a bit of respect for you. The day we were sitting around talking about options on how to "get out", the first thing that came out of Dave's mouth was "I wonder how we can contact Dan".

You posting anything just showed you had concerns. I say all the time that I just can't believe my parents are so stupid in believing all this crap. But then in 3 years they may be pulling up this thread...so I'll refrain.

I'm glad that you two got a chance to "catch" up on old times.

BTW- For those who don't know, AA is my sweet husband.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

So happy when things turn out for the best.

Congratulations Dave!

Jeannie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's great to hear about this connection (rather than us all being a bunch of disjointed individuals).
    Congrats to all involved!

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    none other than AlmostAtheist

(((Dan))) and (((AlmostAthiest))) and (((FreedomFrog)))

WooHoo!!! After reading the rest of this thread, I am so-o-o-o-o excited! I thought to my self, "Ah, AA is probably lurking if he was a member"... 'cuz after all, this forum is very supportive and anyone would have a hard time leaving. Welcome to FreedomFrog, as well! I'm thrilled to see this reunion on this thread!

Gives me an idea!

Love,

ESTEE

• Golf
    Golf

Gary put it best!

Guest77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit