The Reasons Why You Were A Jehovah's Witness

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I was a JW because I was 2 years old when my parents were baptised. I never felt accepted, loved, or good enough the entire time I was a JW (25 years). I was loaded down with guilt for the smallest little mistakes. Terribly lonely, and abused.

• JH
    JH

I joined the witnesses because I had a friend of mine in that religion, and he was showing me that we were living the time of the end, so I read the bible and went to the meetings, and had a bible study with that brother, and finally I got baptized. But the real reason I went through the whole ordeal was for the ETERNAL LIFE promise. People have such a hard time leaving that religion because they are afraid of losing that eternal life. I hated every moment of it, but the salary was too good to refuse... ETERNAL LIFE

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

10. Many Witnesses are uneducated yet are made to feel that they are the smartest people on earth.

Now, THAT... is the truth! And that was something that also amazed me... as I always remembered the proverb/saying "better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Many Witnesses apparently have never heard of that one.

So true!

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Basically raised in it. First stepped into a KH when I was 5 years old because my mother had started studying and was attending meetings. Lived the terror of trying to meet up to others expectations. Reason for baptism was to "Get the 'mark' so that you can have the prospect of everlasting life." Now 30 years have passed and I just can't live a lie anymore!

My life as a JW was in a constant morbid fear of God. Each day I was a paranoid soul. Now my quest in life is to learn how to "Love" God [Mark 12:30] entirely. (But without the WT Society dictating to me how.)

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother "NOT Exerting Vigorously")

• minimus
    minimus

I really enjoyed these comments. Poor Guest! I don't know how you stayed on! When most of us were in the thick of things, I believe that we felt superior to everyone else. Now we all know better.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

to rebel against the world.

now i'm rebelling against the world and the WTS.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    What was the common denominator for remaining a Witness for the time that we have?

sincere desire to please jehovah

faith in being in the one true religion

fear of armageddon

fear of the world

fear of being cast out

(in that order)

p.s. you always spark excellent streams of thought, minimus

~incense

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit