The Reasons Why You Were A Jehovah's Witness

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Many here have been raised as Witnesses. Others were introduced to the "truth" through various forms of witnessing. What was the common denominator for remaining a Witness for the time that we have? It could be because of fear. It could be because of actually believing or wanting to believe that this was the truth. While we've been Witnesses, one thing has always been attractive to us, whether we are conscious of it or not, and that is the "perks" of being a JW. As a Witness, you are considered above everyone else. It's worldly people versus us. In the congregation, you are made to feel special right from the beginning. Everyone is encouraged to fawn all over you and introduce themselves. If you do start responding, you may be qualified to enter the Theocratic Ministry School. If you do well, you will be encouraged to recieve the blessings that come from being a Kingdom publisher. Then YOU can ACTUALLY save lives! Then you, after you get baptized, can become really something. You could be a regular or even, special pioneer. Or you could go to Bethel, the House of God, and you could be called a Bethelite! If you happen to be a male, well then, EVERY door can be opened to you. You could be a Ministerial Servant or even make it to Presiding Overseer Or Circuit or District Overseer. Many Witnesses are uneducated yet are made to feel that they are the smartest people on earth.The truth is while you were a Witness, you felt mighty special.

• flower
    flower

I was a witness because I was born one. From infancy I was taught the bs and it was all I knew to be true. Whether or not it was the truth was never even an issue or a question...it just 'was'. I felt all wrong in there..but as far as I was concerned it was all my fault..there was something wrong with me not the world as I knew it. I stayed and I prayed.

None of the bs....having everlasting life or saving lives or being someone special ever appealed to me because those things were never reality to me..I would never be good enough to acheive them. I stayed and I searched for them.

They found me and got me out.

I took the red pill and it all became clear..

• blondie
    blondie

When a person grows up in an abusive family, where the 2 people that are supposed to love them are the ones that hurt them, I found it hard to recognize the abuse in the KH. I kept thinking that it was just a few bad apples or one corrupt congregation. It took me awhile, but now I see how pervasive the abuse is and beyond correcting. Just as I distance myself from my still abusive parents, I finally wised up that I have to do the same with my "spiritual" family.

Blondie

• Matty
    Matty

I was a Witness because I genuinely believed it, what other reason could there be? Completely surrounded by family and friends that are Witnesses who I respect and trust as intelligent people I was just sucked into it totally. The given fact that it was 'the truth' was never questioned by me. Do I or did I ever enjoy being a witness? Rarely. I always felt very weighed down and subjugated. But I was looking forward to my reward in the 'New System'. It's a shame that it was only this year that I finally saw the real light after a lifetime of guilt and fear.

• Earnest
    Earnest

The perk of being special is true of all eschatological religions. It was true of the early Christians as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls community. It is an "us" and "them" and the "us" are God's chosen ones. How can you not feel special. In fact, the "love-bombing" amongst the JWs is a mere shadow of what went on in early Christianity where they had their love feasts, communal meals and greeted each other with a holy kiss.

I remain(ed) because the beliefs about God and Christ are, imo, close to what the early Christians believed. And certainly the idea that we are being used by God to save lives has an appeal unmatched by anything else. One cannot help wishing it were true.

Earnest

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I had no choices, my parents became JWs when I was 12 yrs old and so it was what I had to become. I remember my father telling us when we got older we could make our own choices, but if we choose not to be JWs we are out the door. My parents did a great job of brain washing as did the organization. My parents wanted me to quit school when I was 16 to pioneer and to have the goal of serving where the need was greater. So that is what I did. At first I was all for it especially the quitting school part but the rest I really didn't want to do. When I was 19 I moved to montreal and my parents made me take my 16 yr sister with me. So I couldn't leave, I was suppose to take care of her and I think my parents were suspect that I may leave the org. if I went alone. Sneaky parents eh?

Orangefatcat

• talley
    talley

I was 'found' in the door to door work and the lovely person who contacted me and I hit it off personality wise. She was funny and down to earth.

On the intellectual side, I had been reading (studying) the Bible for at least 15 years and seeing how the doctrins the Bible teaches would not correlate with my Lutheran upbringing. On my own I did not believe in the trinity, heaven, hell, emortal soul, so when Jeaneane came to the door the first time, she was surprised that I kew who the Father was by name, etc. I devowerd the Let God Be True book in less than a week. The JW main doctrines seemed to be right on the mark. As time went on I did the slow fade because as an org. it appeared to me they were going way beyond the Bible, getting into judging that belonged to Jehovah and Christ alone, and after experiencing several congregations (hubby of the time thought frequent moves would separate me from the org.), noticed that there was a definate lack of the Fruitage of the Spirit. Started fading in '73, after the divorce, and after 10 yrs. of being very active. I do not believe they are Jehovah's org. because of their 'fruitage' over the years.

The best thing that ever happend to me was meeting and marrying my 'worldly' husband, Bud, who is a living example of Rom.12:13-16.

"Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom" by Ray Franz, which I learned about through this board, after finally getting a computer, verified my logic and gut feelings.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY STOLSIS (sp) TO ALL !!!

Edited by - talley on 1 December 2002 11:9:29

Edited by - talley on 1 December 2002 11:12:15

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you, again, Minimus... and please know that my "reason" was a bit different:

They promised me that I would find the "sons" of God, my brothers by an anointing with holy spirit, so, I went, thinking that I would find "family." Rather, I found opposition almost from the first, because I confessed my union with Christ. Hooo-Boy! A 22-year old black chick "anointed"?!!! You can imagine the "fallout" from that one... over a period of about 16 years! As a result, I NEVER felt the things you described as the "perks" of being a JW:

1. You are considered above everyone else.

No, truly, I always thought it was we who were supposed to be "servants" of all others (I mean, didn't we SAY that, in essence?), and particularly among ourselves... so I was quite confused at the holier than thou attitude of many. I mean, it always blew me away when folks stood at "householder's" doors and talked bad about them ("goats"!) But, I thought it was my "vocation" to show them how we were supposed to be. Thus, I was probably THE most "obedient" person one can imagine... to the point of being sickening, almost. And was taken advantage for it, over and over again: "Get Sister Johnson, she'll do it! Yeah! Hey, Sister Johnson!"

And, Lordy, talk about folks weeping and gnashing their teeth - I had very few "friends" over my 16-year stint. VERY few. They were afraid to engage me in conversation, because I would "question" what Christ said, versus what the WT said. And you know you can't go doing that.

2. It's worldly people versus us.

I never thought that, because that's not what they TAUGHT. I tried to do what they said, not what they did.

3. In the congregation, you are made to feel special right from the beginning. Everyone is encouraged to fawn all over you and introduce themselves.

True, they do fawn, etc. But... don't let them know that your "calling" is not the "the earthly one". All that fawning changes... in a HEARTBEAT!

4. If you do start responding, you may be qualified to enter the Theocratic Ministry School.

Believe it or not, I had to ask... about 4-5 times... before they would let me. They were afraid of what I might say (I had difficulty saying the "canned" stuff... but tried to "teach" the true lesson. Ah, well!)

5. If you do well, you will be encouraged to recieve the blessings that come from being a Kingdom publisher. Then YOU can ACTUALLY save lives!

Nope, they didn't want me doing that right away, either. Apparently, it took them some time to be convinced that I believed their doctrines, because when I did my baptism questions, I didn't want to use the book, but the Bible. Oh no, can't have THAT! They almost forced me to read the answers from the OM book. Where I had to, I did. Where I didn't, I didn't. So, they made me wait... about 6 months after I asked to be baptized and did the questions, before they would do it.

6. Then you, after you get baptized, can become really something.

Yep, someone to stay away from. I got baptized... alone. Only my children and a worldly friend observed. It was at a District Convention... and at the Hall the next meeting, they... ummmm... "forgot" to announce it, until someone reminded someone... and they did so at the end.

7. You could be a regular or even, special pioneer.

Nope. Had a family - two kids - and a full-time job. Of course, that was their "sign" right there, that I was a fake: no one of the "anointed" would have such a life, as they ALL pioneered, didn't they? Gray hair... and pioneer. (I auxillaried from time to time, though. Woo-hee!!)

8. Or you could go to Bethel, the House of God, and you could be called a Bethelite!

Now, I did go there... in 1997... but not for the reason you mention here...

9. If you happen to be a male, well then, EVERY door can be opened to you. You could be a Ministerial Servant or even make it to Presiding Overseer Or Circuit or District Overseer.

Well, I'm not a male, so you know how that turned out, and even if I were, I could never see the big to-do about it. In fact, I discouraged my ex from becoming one (they tried SO hard to "recruit" him, but I feared for him sitting in judgment of others when he had his own very real "issues" to deal with. And sure, the elders knew... but didn't care: he was VERY good looking! Wore a suit like nobody's business! Would have made quite a pretty picture up on that platform, he would've...)

10. Many Witnesses are uneducated yet are made to feel that they are the smartest people on earth.

Now, THAT... is the truth! And that was something that also amazed me... as I always remembered the proverb/saying "better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Many Witnesses apparently have never heard of that one.

11. The truth is while you were a Witness, you felt mighty special.

Truly, I didn't. I HATED it ('cause they pretty much hated me). But I did not know where else to go. It wasn't until I realized that there was no "where"... but a "whom" to "go away to"... that I left. (Well, actually, I was eventually asked to leave... but I was on my way out, anyway...) And it was then that I began to regain feeling my true difference. Not special, just different. Why didn't I know it before or during my stint with them? I did. Truly, I did. For some reason, I chose not to "listen"... 'cause I thought I needed to worship my Father with others like me. To some extent, I do... but not in the way religion touts it. I have learned that truly all I NEED... is spirit... and Truth. (John 14:6)

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• rebel
    rebel

I was contacted on the door-to-door work too. I couldn't believe it when the sister answered all my questions - especially where my daughter was. She was killed when she was five and I have longed to be with her ever since. That was the main appeal - the living forever and seeing her again. I don't know what I have now - will I ever see her? Is there going to be a resurrection to life on earth?(I don't want to float around in heaven) There are so many questions that the JWs seemed to answer. Without that, I don't have the answers any more. I am glad to be slowly escaping the horrible feeling I used to get when I went to the KH, but I miss the hope.

xxR

• freedom96
    freedom96

I never enjoyed being a witness. I grew up as one, and went for awhile after I got married, but then faded away. I divorced, and have not been back.

I didn't believe some of the things they taught, didn't like the way some were treated, and was thoroughly embarressed to be identified as one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit