[Day 6 - 4/8]The Royal Commissions investigation of child sexual abuse within Jehovah’s Witnesses. + VIDEO

by C0ntr013r 38 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Splash
    Splash

Day 6 Part 3. 54:15

Justice McClellan: "Your adherents are required to bring their allegations to the church, aren't they?"

Rodney Spinks: "...I don't see published anywhere and I know to be the case that we don't demand or scripturally enforce a victim of rape, a victim of child abuse, it's actually a misapplication. There's been a few scriptures misapplied but that's a clear misapplication of Leviticus 5:1... We don't require a victim to come forward if they choose not to."

*** w12 2/15 p. 22 par. 15 Preserve the Positive Spirit of the Congregation ***
    "Even so, when serious sin has been committed, those Scripturally obligated to handle the matter—the elders in the congregation—should be informed. (Read Leviticus 5:1.)
    So if we know that a brother or a sister has fallen into such wrongdoing, we should encourage that one to approach the elders and seek their help. (Jas. 5:13-15) If he or she does not do so within a reasonable period of time, though, we should report the wrongdoing."

Rodney Spinks would like what he says to be true, but this recent WT proves he is misleading the Royal Commission as to what is actually true.
  • AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Splash

"""So if we know that a brother or a sister has fallen into such wrongdoing, we should encourage that one to approach the elders and seek their help. (Jas. 5:13-15) If he or she does not do so within a reasonable period of time, though, we should report the wrongdoing." """

I understand the "we" to mean you and I - the R & F reporting it to the elders [not the police] if the perpetrator or guilty one does not approach them on their own. It could be knowledge of adultery / smoking etc etc [Any Serious sin as per WT definitions]

• Splash
    Splash

Reading what is written, "we" means any one of us and the context does not describe any exceptions.

If "we" are abused and therefore come to know that the abuser has committed a wrongdoing, "we" are obliged to report it.

Look at the earlier sentence: "when serious sin has been committed, those Scripturally obligated to handle the matter—the elders in the congregation—should be informed".

Again, there is no distinction as to whether the serious sin was committed against us personally or against a third party. If we know something we have to tell the elders.

Justice McClellan understands this point and Rodney Spinks tries to muddy the waters with deception.

• cha ching
    cha ching

"When there is 'serious sin'....." OK, it's serious..... Child abuse is serious.... How serious?

Serious enough to "inform the elders."....... Think about it.... ELDERS are elevated above the law.

Does law enforcement have training on how to deal with child abuse? to ensure safety for the victim? have access to scientific evidence that might establish a crime? have programs to help 'reform' pedophiles (Doctors, drugs, psychiatrists, etc) ? Take notes that won't be destroyed? (It also retains a data base if any further accusations are brought up against an individual should they move. The WT's hired lawyer used this data base to obtain figures and info)

YES.

Do elders have the training? NO.....

But who are the publishers instructed to inform? ELDERS..... Elders FIRST......

The point that even IF law enforcement were informed FIRST, it would not inhibit elders in following through in their 'investigating' for the 'spiritual welfare of the flock' is not addressed or acknowledged.

It would actually make their job easier, right? The law does not stop the "judicial process" of the congregation... it aids it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    So there is a short #1 coming and also a #5?
  • Heaven
    Heaven

C0ntr013r, just wanted to say, awesome job on the videos. Thank you!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    For those of you waiting on #1 with bated breath, here's a little snippet from the transcript to whet your appetite:

47 Q. Thank you. In your statement, Mr Pencheff, at

1 paragraph 4.1, you say that, to the best of your

2 recollection, you have only dealt with a couple of cases of

3 child sexual abuse within the church in your time, "as they

4 are a very rare event amongst Jehovah's Witnesses". Now,

5 you will have heard that it has been presented in these

6 proceedings that there were 1,006 alleged perpetrators of

7 child sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witness Church in

8 65 years ‐ did you hear that?

9 A. Yes, I did see that.

11 Q. And in respect of a substantial number of those

12 alleged perpetrators, there may be several allegations; do

13 you accept that?

14 A. Sorry, can you repeat that, sorry?

16 Q. In respect of substantial numbers, or at least some of

17 those alleged perpetrators, there may be several

18 allegations, in other words, more than one case.

19 A. So more than one person accusing the perpetrator; is

20 that what you are saying?

22 Q. Yes.

23 A. I guess so. I wouldn't know.

25 Q. But even on the figure of 1,006, that amounts to

26 15 perpetrators per year, on average, which is more than

27 one a month. On that basis, would you still say that it's

28 an extremely rare event amongst Jehovah's Witnesses?

29 A. Considering the number of congregations and the number

30 of cases, yes.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Exactly what do JW elders do to ensure a child is kept safe within their congregation? Spinks is stating they do everything they can including removing the child from the situation. Huh? This is not my understanding at all.

Can you guys comment on this?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Thank you Contro13r. Looking forward to part 1 & 5.
  • notoneoftheboys
    notoneoftheboys
    Brilliant work and patient effort thank you deeply for recording these videos, you might be interested to know I have current elder friends in Canada and the uk who love to know whats going on but cannot do so openly. I have directed them to this site. The GB has no idea that so many elders question privately only and with trusted friends their policies Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit