A small victory

by acsot 12 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot

Okay, my mom is elderly (80 yrs. old) and not able to get to all the meetings like she used to (which is definitely a plus for me! BTW shes living with me now, since last spring, cause shes not able to keep up with things anymore).

Anyway, she was the faithful sister who never missed a meeting type, plowing through sleet and snow in service and to the meetings. Old age has perhaps given her a different perspective on life in the truth. So Im wondering what, if anything, I should bring up about the WTS or doctrines or whatever. She has angina and I dont want to be responsible for her taking her last breath on this planet by saying too much too soon. However, she has let slip a couple of things about some elders in a previous congregation which indicated that she was becoming annoyed and perhaps bitter at the way things are run in the "truth". Stuff like if theyre going to be the princes in the new system I dont want to be there. Amen to that I think to myself.

Anyhow, a couple of nights ago were watching the news a documentary about Canadas health care system and a report thats to be released which will recommend changes to ensure we maintain our universal health care. They show an elderly woman who cant get home care. I mention poor Sister Generous.

As background info, this Sister Generous is my mothers very good friend, who owned property, had investments and was always extremely hospitable and basically gave away all her money to the Watchtower Society, under the belief that he or she who sows generously will reap generously. So now that she needs almost full-time care she ends up sharing a tiny room with another elderly woman in a long-term care facility, with only an old television to keep her company. Hardly any visitors except for two sisters who have taken it upon themselves to help her when they can (BTW, these two sisters are themselves ill diabetic, alcoholic husbands, other health problems. Perhaps thats why they sympathize with the elderly, I dont think it has anything to do with the Watchtower teachings about taking care of others oh yeah, I forgot, there are no Watchtower teachings about taking care of others.)

Okay, back to my mom. I say: its really a shame to see how Sister Generous has ended up, when she had so much money. She probably could have kept her independence, lived in a small apartment and paid for extra nursing help if she had kept her money for her old age.

My mother responds: thats for sure. I feel so bad for her.

I say: and when I think about how much the Society is worth (I had shown her the statement about the Societys being worth around $954 million). Theyre worth about $1 billion, have all that property and its all tax free.

My mother: I know, its awful, Sister Generous should have kept her money.

Me: Of course, we were all thinking the end was just around the corner and no one needed to save for their old age. Now, the Society has it all and Sister Generous, who really needs it, has nothing. Its not like theyre going to give the money back to her. At least other religions set up hospitals and care facilities, even food banks for the poor. Youd think with all the buildings the Society has they could at least use some of it to help the older Witnesses. I mean, the older Bethelites are taken care of. Why not those who have paid the money to the Society in the first place?

My mother says, Yeah, thats right. And to think of the money I gave them. Well, it wasnt much since I only had my pension, but still! One things for sure, theyre not getting one more penny from me! That's really awful!

Me (inwardly grinning from ear to ear ). One small victory at a time!

• onacruse
    onacruse

ascot, "small" victories such as yours are sometimes really the most telling, because it's that first small break in the dam that MUST happen before the cracks spread and the whole edifice of self-denial falls.

I suspect that as more and more "stalwart" JWs age in this "old system" (probably much to their surprise and dismay), such conversations as yours will be more common.

At least we can hope so, eh?

Craig

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Ascot,

Good for you that you haven't let "religious" differences keep you being in your mothers life. As for her awakening to the real "truth", better late than never. For most aging JW's, reality is a b...h!

• yucca
    yucca

a friend i used to have who is still a jw husband was sick a long time before dying. her husband was 20 yrs. older than her. the only help she got was if she paid jws to look after her husband to give her a break. they never came to just visit him. one time he said tell those jws i am not dead yet. i was single sister who had to work. my daughter 12 yrs. old at that time asked me to ask sisters in summertime when school was out to take her out in service. so i did and the answer i got back was they were not baby sitters. that really hurt my feelings. i think very cold one of the things started me thinking. i am so glad your mother is starting to see them for who they really are. that poor lady that gave her money to them thats so horrible. what a scam. i really believe those men at the top are to going to pay dearly when they meet their maker. they are deceivers of worst kind. i will pray for these women. bless you for taking care of your mother. god bless

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

You don't have to say ANYTHING more about it....she already knows. Little old women are very wise and God works in mysterious ways.

• JH
    JH
    (there are no Watchtower teachings about taking care of others.)

Yes, isn't that pitiful. They want your money and your time. In return you get nothing. It's just like the program(me), "The weakest link"

YOU GO AWAY WITH NOTHING, GOODBYE !

• acsot
    acsot

Yucca: thanks for your thoughts. Yes, it's horrible how cold and unfeeling "God's true religion" makes people. I also know from experience about having to pay Witnesses before they'll do anything "neighbourly". I'll take the "worldly" people anytime. At least they're not so pretentious and self-righteous.

• Francois
    Francois

Don't worry so much about exciting your mother because of her angina. My grandmother had angina and lived to 98. She'd still be here if not for a pulmonary embolism that got her - not angina at all.

And congrats on your small victory. It would be interesting to write to the society and tell them all about how this sister who gave them all her wealth now needs her money returned to her and see what they do.

• acsot
    acsot

Franois: this sister was actually spoken to about that very thing - I believe that some of her money was really only "on loan", but being the type of person she is, she was horrified at the thought - I think she feels that she's practically taking it from Jehovah himself - you can't take back a contribution. She'd never go for it, unfortunately; she has no fleshly family and two elders are her executors and mandatories in the eventuality of her being unable to make decisions on her own.

Thanks for the info re your grandmother - it seems that older people are made of tougher stuff than us pushing middle-agers!

• out4good3
    out4good3
    she has no fleshly family and two elders are her executors and mandatories in the eventuality of her being unable to make decisions on her own.

She has money on "loan" to the very people executing her will and acting as mandatories. That has to be the most blatant conflict of interest I've ever seen.

They're going to soak this lady all the way to her grave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit