Soooo, when I tell you I feel it's a cult

by cognac 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven
    I told my Dad I wanted nothing to do with an organization that tells it's members to shun their family and friends if they don't join up. I also told him that because there are pedophiles in the religion, I'm not interested in aligning with that crap.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well said " Heaven" but did you honestly expect him to believe that?

a) YES ! YES ! YES !

b) Oh all right then, NO.

That is the sad thing " Heaven" we believe we have important " FACTS" and you decided bravely to reveal those " FACTS"

But it's like telling your dad his a darling, a big wooly bear, " give me a hug"

You are right he is wrong.....then you win, and he gives you a big hug and says " bless you"

This is the problem with leaving,and discovering T.T.A.T.T our excitement will think people will see things our way and give us a big hug....in my experience it doesn't happen that way...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    ..."That-does-not-compute"...
  • cognac
    cognac
    Lol @Vidiot
  • Heaven
    Heaven

TheRebel ... as an adult, my parents could never engage much in discussion with me as they couldn't refute what I had to say. It would always end with the stunned silence and deer-in-the-headlights look from them. I assume this comes, at least in part, from the Borg's coaching not to continue engaging in discussion for fear it would stumble my parents. It was sad to watch my parents devolve. Their logic became broken, their critical thinking skills diminished. It bothered me a lot that they let their wishes override evidence. Wanting something to be true does not mean that it is.

As for pedophiles, Dad knew they were in the Borg. There is one in his previous congregation. Of course now, my Mom is dead, Dad doesn't even know what day it is, ties his shoelaces into numerous knots, and pours his soup into his shoes at lunch. Dementia is a bitch.

At least I don't have to listen to 'Heaven, the time is so short now. You need to become a Witness or risk dying at Armageddon and your eternal life.' Close to 50 years of listening to 'Armageddon is imminent' gets old real fast, equating this failed prophecy time and again to 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' fable. This rant becomes ineffectual over time and, as I pointed out to my Dad, the JW's lose credibility. In 2009 I finally told my Dad outright that I wasn't going to be a Witness. He was pushing me to join. The excuse du jour that Armageddon was closer than the inside of my eyelids was the terrible economy. I think he was very sad when I told him outright I wouldn't join. But man, 46 years and I hadn't joined up I think says something.

I have always been there to support my folks, though, and show them love as much as was and is possible.

As one of the Alzheimer's Society's support workers told me "Love transcends the dementia barrier."

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Heaven,

Thanks for the comments. To a lesser degree I share a similar exsperience.

I can only imagine my complete surprise if a family member or witness listened to my balanced and reasonable arguments as to why they are worshipping a man made organisation.

still I think it's wonderful you are there for your family in the sticky moments they need you. Sometimes I think that is all we can do.

• BrokenBonz
    BrokenBonz

"Getting to the point where it would be better to have the ties officially cut. I can't deal with this crap anymore."

Are you ready for it?

• truthseeker100
  • cognac
    cognac
    Are you ready for it?

Honestly, don't think I could ever fully be ready. But, the pain is sometimes more then I can handle....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

cognac - "Soooo, when I tell you I feel it's a cult... why would you proceed to invite me to their meetings?"

Because they hope, deep down, to prove to you (and therefore, themselves) that it's not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit