Falsifiability

by donkey 47 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

If you can accept 'infinity'...........it is not to much of a leap to accept that the Creator must also be infinite.

In fact the concept of infinity, is the best argument for the exsistence of an infinte God.

Danny

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Danny Bear,

why can't the Universe be infinite?

One infinity is enough for anybody..having 2 infinities could drive you crazy!!

Pope

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Pope,

Actually for my simple mind, considering infinity without consideration of an infinite Creator, is harder for my mind absorb. Maybe it is all the mythical, theological, influences my mind has taken in over the 54+ yrs it has been active, but that is where it stands, as of today anyway.

Danny

• donkey
    donkey

well well well

It appears to be too difficult. Or perhaps many of the obtuse answers appear that way because of WHERE we find ourselves. Perhaps I had JW's too firmly in mind when I expected partcipation in this thread.

So let us look at a reasonably intelligent JW and apply the theory of falsibility to that person. In order to answer the question properly they would have to ask themselves some other questions such as:

What are my core beliefs?

They would then start out at the obvious ones such as God's name is Jehovah. God's son is Jesus. We are his Witnesses. We belong to his organization. We have to preach as part of the sign of the last days. The last days started in 1914....We know this because God's kingdom fell in 607.

Get the point?

So if they sincerely examine their beliefs under falsifiablity theory they will have to say:

If 607 is NOT the date that God's kingdom fell then 1914 is not the start of the last days and if 1914 is not the start of the last days then the organization of JWs is not who they say they are because their modern day prophecies concerning 1917, 1919 and 1935 will be based on an incorrect starting event. And thus they have a chain that depends on falsifiability.

Now back to those of us who are xJWs and who still believe in God and/or Jesus. Perhaps an approach would be to ask yourself "do I still believe in any doctines?" That would be a good start. A doctrine is a stake in the ground, a claim. A claim can be put to the test of falsifiability.

There is no need to feel as though your beliefs now are too loose. I respect you for having whatever beliefs you have. All I intend to do is refine my own thoughts, thinking and beliefs by particpating on a board such as this one. I am not afraid to challenge my own thinking or that of anyone else, that is how we grow.

I am afterall a humble ass.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Danny

well thats a very salient point you made then - I agree with you 100% that it IS easier to believe in the Almighty than believing that the universe was just always here. It seems MORE logical that there is a Creator. Its like one way we are all alone and the other way, there is a "father" or someone who cares watching over us. I just wish/hope that its true......not just wishful thinking...

Cheers!

Pope

• donkey
    donkey

Infinity is a really funny subject Danny.

If you are bored then solve this problem: Are there more integers or are there more even numbered integers?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

A very large mathematical convention was held in Las Vegas.

The conventioneers filled two hotels, each with an infinite number of rooms. The hotels were across the street from each other and were owned by brothers.

One evening, while everyone was out at a bar-b-que, one of the hotels burned to the ground. The brothers got together and worked out a plan.

In the remaining hotel, they moved all guests to twice their room number -- room 101 moved to 202, room 1234 moved to room 2468, etc.

Then all the odd number rooms were empty, and there were an infinite number of odd rooms.

So the guests from the other hotel moved into them.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

donkey,

About the only time I give consideration to the subject of infinity, is when Iam viewing the nite sky. Where I live, the Milky Way actually appears milky in the sky. In other words I can walk out my door and see with the naked eye thousands of stars/planets.

I never could do that when I lived in the big city. So almost every evening I ponder a little about infinity. Mathamatics have little to do with my ruminations. I think the best I ever did in school was a C......or for those who did not enjoy the lettered grade scale......I barely passed!

No matter how bored I could get......study of integers would be last on my list of passtime.

Danny

• donkey
    donkey

One evening, while everyone was out at a bar-b-que, one of the hotels burned to the ground
    how is that possible if the hotel had an infinite number of rooms?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Donkey,

It was a very large fire...

Pope

PS Quite a lot of people at the BBQ as well....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit