Falsifiability

by donkey 47 Replies latest jw friends

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Was the question what would it take to stop believing in God?

Edited by - notperfectyet on 24 November 2002 15:21:32

• donkey
    donkey

yes

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

WOW! You've got quite a vocabulary for a donkey!

As to whether or not there is an all powerful spiritual entity that has personally intervened, or will intervene, in man's affairs and history, I'm not convinced there is or isn't. I do, however, believe there is an intelligence and a conscious energy manifest in the physical universe. I believe this entity has purpose and motive, but I am not so presumptuous as to think I could even begin fully comprehend the extent of that purpose and motive. What would cause me to relinquish that belief? I would simply have to see a far better and more plausible explanation for the obvious design in the universe than anything I've ever read, including the writings of Steven Hawking.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

For me?

Well, it would take the sun to stop rising, the sun to set, the moon to stop shining.

No more babies, kittens, puppies, or love.

No more good days, no more happiness, no more hope and dreams.

No more kindness, no more humanity, no one who really cares anymore.

I don't see that happening, with all the disasters, horrendous things humans do to each other, as long as their are people who care and love,

God is there.

"stone me now"

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Donkey,

Your question is as loaded as "Please answer "yes" or "no" Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Neither answer affords a defensible position before an adversary.

IW

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Donkey beats his wife???

• rem
    rem
    Well, it would take the sun to stop rising, the sun to set, the moon to stop shining.
    No more babies, kittens, puppies, or love.
    No more good days, no more happiness, no more hope and dreams.
    No more kindness, no more humanity, no one who really cares anymore.

Classic case of circular reasoning. The poster is positing an unproven god as the cause of the things above, then believes that if the things above did not exist it would somehow falsify this god.

Only certain definitions of 'God' are falsifiable. 'Omniscient', 'Omnipotent', and 'Omnibenevolent' gods can be falsified.

rem

• hurt
    hurt

Donkey beats his wife??? May be. May be not. May be donkey has no wife. A donkey's mate must go by some name... "Please answer "yes" or "no" Have you stopped beating your wife?" Catch - 22. You're toast either way. It's very simple.

Donkey, many smart believers in God will not go the way of evidential reasoning, or toe the path of logic. It is a belief. Only those who claim it to be logical may subject themselves to those laws of logical reasoning that will eventually quash their claim.

• BB
    BB

Why dont we start with proof of who you really are? I believe there is every possibility that Atlantisdragon, Kenpodragon, and donkey are all one and the same person.

Care to offer any solid evidence that would counter this theory?

BB

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

BB,

Why dont we start with proof of who you really are? I believe there is every possibility that Atlantisdragon, Kenpodragon, and donkey are all one and the same person.

Care to offer any solid evidence that would counter this theory?

BB

Why would it matter who Donkey is? He or she posts here and they are free to post their position or to ask questions. I do not like witch hunts.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit