Newbie with question

by outbackaussie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Wow, I have really been missing out!! The world ended again and here I am clueless! LOL

Was it good for you? I suppose there has been a revised estimate. Or perhaps the GB has gotten out of forecasting the future of the planet.

Oh and can anyone give me a headsup on this COC stuff??

• BB
    BB

Many people will advance the thought that COC is a self-help book designed to add clarity on important issues for those thinking of leaving the organization. In some ways, I suppose it could also become a useful tool for those trying to find meaning in their life if they suddenly find themselves da'd of df'd.

Personally, I think its a terrific book for any ex or soon-to-be ex-JW to hang their hat on. If nothing else, it will eliminate the need for a lot of useless and time-consuming personal research and will perhaps allow the reader to simply say; "Me too!" to observations they hadn't thought of previously.

One possible sour note though - some here feel that the current printing of COC should have included at least an acknowledgement of the rampant child abuse problem within many Jehovahs Witnesses congregations. Others here feel the book is fine as it is, without any such reference.

Should you stick around long enough, you might find a debate or two on this subject.

BB

Edited by - BB on 23 November 2002 10:28:4

• jurs
    jurs

Hi and welcome!

I left the org a year and a half ago. I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me. I think you'll relate to alot of what many post. Happy to have you here.

jurs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Tiffany --

Welcome to the forum. As you're finding out, you can just jump right in! The water is fine!

I had been a JW all my life up until about 2 years ago. When I found myself on the outside (long story) this site provided a little companionship that I longed for. The people were really cool and understanding, and of course most know exactly what it feels like to be a JW.

So hopefully you'll find some topics on the forum and just jump in... And maybe we'll see you in chat sometime! Just watch out for people like LB in there, they could be "bad association".

• herk
    herk

Tiffany,

The WT redefined the word "generation." Some JWs are still not aware of that, but it did give the Society an excuse for prolonging the period from 1914 to Armageddon, cushioning the impact of the cry "the end is just around the corner."

I don't think the Society has updated their public talk outlines, so some speakers still talk as if the generation from 1914 is a literal period. So I've heard.

The WT still preaches that the end is awfully close, so if ya don't wanna die at Armageddon ya better hurry up and get back into God's one and only true organization! Everybody hurry now.

Herk

• Eric
    Eric

Tiffany,

Yep, Armageddon came and went at the end of the 20th century. After all it was the Creator's Promise, just like all those Awake magazines said, sure 'nuff! Now, here we are in paradise...

Of course, paradise has been a bit of a disappointment at times. I don't want to grouse, but I fully expected my kids to be playing with lions and all that. But that sort of thing wasn't promised to ALL of us, you know. Hey, go read your Isaiah if you don't believe me!

That suck-up-goody-two-shoes-elder's kid down the way, now HE'S got wolves and leopards and a maned young lion and HE goes traipsing around with the bloody lot of them in tow like he's leader over them all or some such crap. MY kids? They got a stinkin' cobra in a hole.

Sure it was pretty impressive first time they put their hand over the cobra hole and nothin', and I mean absolutely nothin' happened. But really, how many times is a weaned young child going to get a charge out of covering up the light aperature of a venomous snake? It gets old pretty quick, I can tell you.

I should've figured the real paradise would be like this, a reflection of the old spiritual paradise we had back in our congregations before the big-A. Can't say I wasn't warned about that. Maybe I should have reached out more.

But, thankful for small blessings, right?

Eric

• Dia
    Dia

COC = 'Crisis of Conscience', a revelatory book by Ray Franz, an ex-governing body member who was at the heart of the WTS for many years.

You can probably guess what it's about from the title.

Look it up on Amazon.com (and/or at freeminds.org?)

Edited by - Dia on 23 November 2002 12:42:37

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

hello and welcome Outbackaussie

my husband and I DA'd here this summer, our sons were never in either as well as no other family members. glad to of seen "the light"

while you order COC also get the other book In Search of Christian Freedom. more of the proceeds go to Ray if ordered from www.commentarypress.com

LB I have to disagree on the pre martial sex thing, WE have a 15 year old that would love the go ahead on that one. LOL

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board, Tiffiany.

Sit back and enjoy the fun and games that goes on around here.

Hope to hearing more from you soon.

Hugs,

j2bf

ps and welcome any other newbies to this board!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Tiffany, and welcome aboard to yet another from dowunder.

As you can see, the natives are friendly! Well, usually! It's a bit like the Kingdom Hall, some are nice, some are OK, and I'm a pain in the neck!

Now make yourself at home. Enjoy.

But what's this about "outback"? Outback where?

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 24 November 2002 5:42:1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit