Newbie with question

by outbackaussie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Been browsing around...and I have to say it is alittle difficult to tell if this is a pro or anti JW site. Any takers on filling me in on what the attitudes are around here? It seems there are quite afew inactive and DF or DA people but then there seems to be alot of chat about meetings etc.

For the record, I was raised JW from age 5, baptised at 15 and DF at 17 and reinstated at 18. I would call myself inactive...most of my family are still active but talk and associate with me. I suppose my religious beliefs extend towards agnostism/atheism these days. I am always happy to discuss my feelings on these topics though ;)

So what is the general "rules on engagement" around here?

Tiffany

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Hello Tiffany, and welcome!

The feelings around here vary. Most are ex-JW, but some are still in and active. Some people have turned agnostic, atheist [like myself] and some have joined other religions.

The rules of engagement are basically that we respect each other feelings and beliefs.

This place is great when you have questions or doubts, or just want to talk about your experiences.

Again, Welcome!

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

Outbackaussie, welcome to the board!!!

As far as rules of engagement, there are none here, you may talk about anything you want here. Most people on this board are not JW's any longer but I think that some JW's read what is posted here. I am a never been, that is never been in any religion, but my wife is an ex-JW. This board helps many of the members with support issues after leaving the JW religion.

So if you are in or out, you are welcome here.

• BB
    BB

Well, I happen to be your average 53 year-old, run-of-the-mill, ex-Bethelite, ex-ministerial servant, disfellowshipped ex-Jehovahs Witness knucklehead. I suspect youll find all types here.

BB

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Well, this is going to be one cosy little place to hang out then! :)

I hadn't really thought much about the JW since forever ago, not sure why I checked it out tonight even. Someone will have to give me the latest on when the system is going to end...I don't ask my family and they don't tell me anything either. (isn't that a "blessed' situation to be in? LOL )

Tiffany

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

TIffany,

I'm a newbie here, too. Welcome. It's a lot from both sides of the fence, and plenty of straddlers, too. Ex-JWs/DA's/DF's outnumber JWs for several reasons:

1. because JWs are not encouraged by the WTS to participate in such forums or the Internet in general.

2. Also these forums provide some small part of what JWs lose when the organization turns them out.

3. Ex-JWs are often very clear and open about what their problems were with the JWs. Most JWs are still not ready for that kind of honesty, so they don't stick around very long.

Serious questions are taken seriously, but as you probably already know, if you come on here with a specific one-sided idea to promote or preach then there always be enough folks who disagree to keep things interesting. Seems to me that everyone is welcome as long as they play nice. Looks like your also welcome (up to a point) even if you don't want to play nice -- just be prepared for some heat.

Gamaliel

• dsgal
    dsgal

outbackaussie,

Didn't it already end in 1975?

• LB
    LB

Tiffany welcome to the board. You will find that many users here have been disconnected from their family. So you're ahead of the game there.

After being inactive for a couple of years I recently DAed myself and it was like a ton of bricks off my chest. It just felt good.

Oh and rules of engagement are... sex before marriage is approved and usually encouraged. Enjoy yourself.

• herk
    herk

Outbackaussie,

Where've you been? The WT said the end would come before the end of the 20th century. How'd you miss it?

Herk

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    sex before marriage is approved and usually encouraged

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit