"Are you ready to Die?"

by breeze 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

This is hard for me to explain, and probably even harder for you to understand what I mean, but I've become so used to seeing close family members die, that I've become blase about death. I saw someone die right in front of me, and it inspired in me a greater appreciation for life, but at the same time, it helped me accept that death is just an inevitable part of life.

I'm not afraid of death, but I'm not about to take my own life either. It just doesn't worry me at this stage.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Quite ready to die. Wouldn't mind if it happened, not afraid. I'm not saying that I want to die, just that I wouldn't mind if it happened. Altho I do hope I don't die before my mum does, cause she'd be devastated, cause I'm all she has.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I'm not afraid of death, just the process of dying.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's interesting that JWs these days are no longer pooh-poohing life insurance, retirement plans nor even advance arrangements for burial, etc. at least not to the extent they did 20 or more years ago.

I even recall ``field service demonstrations" at Circuit Assemblies themed around witnessing to insurance salesmen, the message being, ``we don't need your product because we ain't gonna grow old, much less die!''

The greatest irony in all of this is that JWs fail in what most of mankind considers to be the most basic mission of religion/sprituality: to enable human beings to face the inevitability of suffering and death with equanimity, even courage.

Who the hell were we to think we were better than the patriachs or the rest of humanity for that matter? An awareness of our mortality can be a constructive force in shaping our lives; not taking our life or that of our loved ones for granted and can help us mitigate if not totally eliminate arguments or disagreements with loved ones over petty matters; rancor, hatred, fretting over possessions, etc. and a host of negative, destructive attitudes.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I have so much left to live for and to see and do. I said a few years ago I wasn't going to die til I went to Australia, but that I wasn't going til I was 105.

• Solace
    Solace

Prisca,

I know what you mean. I watched and held my aunt as she died in the nursing home. She was suffering so much during her last week of life. Im ashamed to admit it but every breath she took was such a struggle that I honestly prayed it would be her last.

I view death much differently now. I am not nearly as afraid of death as I am of suffering.

• blondie
    blondie

Purple V, I agree with what you said but it made me think of this:

'Tis Not That Dying Hurts Us So
    by: Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886)

'Tis not that Dying hurts us so --
    'Tis Living -- hurts us more --
    But Dying -- is a different way --
    A Kind behind the Door --

The Southern Custom -- of the Bird --
    That ere the Frosts are due --
    Accepts a better Latitude --
    We -- are the Birds -- that stay.

The Shrivers round Farmers' doors --
    For whose reluctant Crumb --
    We stipulate -- till pitying Snows
    Persuade our Feathers Home.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I would say I am pretty much ready to die.

Nothing I have accomplished really matters to me. My goals seem unattainable.

I feel extremely detached from the people in my life.

So, I would say yes, I am ready to go.

• Solace
    Solace

Joel,

Check your e-mail, k?

• larc
    larc

Hey Joel, when my goals are unattainable, I set easier ones. I feel detached from people too, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I am happy. Now, Joel I am not being sarcastic. I sincerely mean what I just wrote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit