AIDS HIV

by ballistic 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Some subjects seem to re-appear almost on a daily basis. Noticeable by it's absense has been the subject of AIDS. I think possibly this doesn't get discussed here becuase it is one of the few hot topics which goes in favour of the witnesses. They claim that their stand on promiscuity, homosexuality, drug taking and blood transfusions makes them practically 'immune' to the disease. If this is the case, I can understand it not being a prevelant topic here.

I personally don't mind being completely honest about where the witnesses get it right. There is good in all organisations, and sometimes somthing good can come from suprising places. However does the end justify the means in this case? That is a question. As you may know, the blood issue has affected my family and I am strongly opposed to it. But this is one of the reasons they quote as why they have a low AIDS membership.

By the way, if you are wondering how I got onto this subject, I was reading up on it while researching population statistics for a post yesterday and was horrified to find that 1 person in 4 in some countires now have HIV / AIDS. I was completely shocked.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hey Ballistic,

you might try discussing this with the HUNDREDS of haemophiliac JW's who got AIDS from infected clotting components when the great Governing Body of Dickheads lifted the ban on clotting factor for these brothers and sisters.

The J.Hoovers get NOTHING right! NOTHING! The same as Hitler got NOTHING right! Building an autobahn or two does not redeem Hitler and his murderous policies. Those autobahns are not worth the blood of the 50 million people or more killed in WW2.

Pope

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Pope,

That was an interesting program on the Autobahn. To bad it was Hitler's idea.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Aids scares the hell out of me Ballistic.

The people who know they have it and go out and deliberately infect others.

The thought that it could mutate into a form that is able to be transmitted by mosquitos or by simple nonsexual physical contact. Or worse, that it could become an airborne virus.

And what is the next deadly virus out there waiting to suprise us?

<shiver>

Mike.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Good point Pope, I have read that sentiment somewhere. But I hope you didn't think I was saying some good makes the Watchtower all OK? Far from it!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Ballistic,

I used to cringe whenever I heard the jws self-righteous morality kept HIV out of their ranks. What ever happened to compassion for other people!

It is usually the innocent ones that are most harmed, i.e. partner who doesnt fool around becomes HIV +, medical personnel who are exposed at work or babies born to HIV+ mothers, just to name a few.

So even though you may view the jws have it right, I dont think it is a simple right or wrong issue. I just think that their pious opinion again proves how self-righteousness they are, like the Pharisees.

Just my 2 cents,

j2bf of the by the grace of God, there go I class

ps, also, there is a big difference between being HIV+ and having AIDS. A lot of people are living more than 10 years being HIV+, in fact we don't know how long a person can have the virus and not have full blown AIDS.

Yes it is shocking to hear how prevelent the HIV virus is in some countries.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes Joy I appreciate your slant on it which is 100% correct. Mike, I was brought to a stand still absolutely shocked by the figures. The peak in many countries is also in the 20 - 25 age group which means that if you walked into a bar, I would guess your chances of meeting someone with HIV is like 1 in 2 rather than 1 in 4. (IMO)

Us in the UK do a lot of business / travel with South Africa and I was suprised that SA is such an incredibly highly affected country.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Ballistic,

No, I certainly didn't misunderstand you. My wife often mentions about my JW Mum, who is 85 or so and still very fit and active, that somehow the JW belief has kept her this way. She reads all the crap literature still, and hopes she will make it alive into the New System. So my wife says at least for my Mum there is some benefit to her religion. Maybe so.......

But her fitness and good health may have happened anyway, or at least it came at a high price to our family who are all "damaged" in one way or another, those still in and those out. And my poor father who never was a JW suffered all those years with the fanatic wife.

So myself, I don't believe Mum's good health in old age outways all the harm her fanaticism has caused. But certainly there is room for discussion on that subject! Its a complex issue.

Pope

• Mary
    Mary

Speaking of AIDS, here is a link that talks about the first documented case of someone who healed themselves of AIDS. Excellent reading to anyone suffering from this disease. My own experience with doctors has not been good. They're never positive and the only dwell on the negative. Not one doctor I saw when I first found out I had cancer, suggested that I change my eating habits, meditate, or anything else.

AIDS is a horrible disease, but one does not need to die from it. The problem is, you have to help YOURSELF. With enough courage, support and determination, this disease need not be fatal.

http://www.aidsinfobbs.org/articles/quilty/q02/759

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I am still freaked out by Aids and HIV....my kids are growing up surrounded by it. Its a worry.

Pope

My wife often mentions about my JW Mum, who is 85 or so and still very fit and active, that somehow the JW belief has kept her this way.

I agree with this 110%...my grandmother who is reasonably fit and healthy for 83 or is it 84, I forget....her lifestyle of 'keeping things simple' has added to her longevity. She lives a very simple life, with no pressure from non-jw entities...her whole life is meetings and sometimes field service. She has always lived her life 'waiting' and she has never stored treasures on earth - never had a mortgage, never borrowed money for anything, never stressed over family problems, always 'waiting on Jehovah'...blah blah. Always waiting on Jehooovah!!!

~Beck~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit