Going in service on holidays

by dsgal 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

I have no idea what it would be like on the holiday. I wouldn't have considered going out on a holiday. I was told that people were nicer on that day, but, I didn't believe them either.

• Marcos
    Marcos

I always hated going out on Memorial Day. Seems like an incredible invasion of family sanctity to bother them when they are grieving for their lost loved ones at the cemetary. Never saw one person comforted by the "visit".

Edited by - Marcos on 17 November 2002 20:44:3

• jack2
    jack2

I always felt self-conscious and embarrassed doing holiday witnessing, especially on the more family-oriented ones like xmas. I think the householders deserve a break form that stuff on holidays. I think many witnesses really don't enjoy it; in fact, attendance for meetings for field service on such days is usually pretty poor in my area. On top of that, many fo our favorite coffe-break sites are closed.

• TR
    TR

I never went out on holidays. Even 'hovahs need to have respect for what others believe. Needless to say, I wasn't very popular with the pioneers and other hard core braindead friggin 'hovah zombified religious fanatical history challenged

FREAKS.

TR

• Francois
    Francois

Do you ever wonder how many JWs have their home phone numbers on the state "no call" list for telemarketers? Yet these are the same people who disturb your Saturday morning and your Sunday Nooners, damn them.

• dsgal
    dsgal

Thanks for all you replies guys.It always makes me feel better to know I am not alone in my feelings.

TR,you are so right on.

• jurs
    jurs

I only went once on a holiday and that was memorial day to the cemetary. It was awkward. I felt intrusive. I never even considered going on Christmas. Too many people would be home and I would for sure have to talk ! It also seemed rude.

jurs

• Mary
    Mary

I went out ONCE on Christmas day years ago........a very zealous pioneer convinced me to come out with the rest of them so I did. We must have gotten all the right houses cause everyone who opened their doors were already bombed and we got invited in to a bunch of parties.

So although my experience wasn't that bad, I would never do it again. People want to get together with their families and friends and want to enjoy the holiday, not have religion shoved down their throats.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Yeah I used to dread going out on holidays also. As others mentioned, most people were quite relaxed on the holidays. For example during Christmas, many people would say Merry Christmas and other holiday greetings. But I still felt embarrassed to be bothering people on the holidays and was afraid we'd interrupt someone's meal or holiday tradition or family get together. Fortunately, we were always told to have brief presentations for those days. I'm very glad I'm not doing that any more.

• blondie
    blondie

I only went out once on Christmas Day and realized that I was doing more damage in PR than good. After all, when you show up at their house which is decorated and festive and they see a JW at their door, what is most likely to be the topic they bring up, celebrating Christmas. Here are some tactics guaranteed to get you thrown off the porch.

*** km 12/92 1 Keep Speaking About the Things You Have Seen and Heard ***

If your refraining from sharing in religious traditions connected with Christmas becomes an issue, you might say: "I do not share in Christmas festivities because such celebrations do not honor Jesus as our only means of salvation and the only one who will bring an end to war and racial problems.[Quote or read Acts 4:12.] Jesus is no longer a baby but a reigning King. This book, The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, discusses all of Jesus teachings and miracles and shows how he will bring an end to human suffering."

*** km 12/90 8 Presenting the Good News-On Holidays ***
    Since the Christmas holidays are religious in nature, we may find many people who are more inclined to talk about God at this time than at any other time of the year. We can take advantage of this fact in our introduction. For example, we might say: "Millions of persons throughout the earth are celebrating Christmas and New Years Day. Do you think that these festivities are bringing people closer to God?" Whether the householder feels that the observances are good or bad, after acknowledging his comments, we could say: "Many people wish that they had a better relationship with God, perhaps feeling that God is somewhat distant from them. Happily, God himself invites us to search for him." Then proceed with the Topic for Conversation.

Taking another approach, we could say: "During this Christmas season, we often hear people express the hope that there will be peace on earth and goodwill toward men. Do you think God will bring peace to the earth in our time?" Thereafter we can go on to show that Jesus Christ is the foretold "Prince of Peace." (Isa. 9:6, 7) As the appointed Ruler in Gods government, Christ will soon take action to bring lasting peace to the earth.Dan. 2:44; Rev. 21:3-5.

*** km 12/88 1 United in Doing Jehovah's Will ***

3 We will be offering My Book of Bible Stories or You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth for a contribution of $3.00 each or the small-size edition of the Live Forever book for $1.50. Both publications provide many avenues of approach with the Kingdom good news. Part 6 of the Bible Stories book, beginning with story 84, covers the period from the birth of Jesus to his death. Here we have a wealth of information on various topics dealing with Jesus birth. There are the stories entitled "An Angel Visits Mary," "Jesus Born in a Stable," and "Men Guided by a Star." As you can readily appreciate, in these three stories alone, you have many points that can be used in talking with those you meet in the field during the Christmas holidays. This would be particularly true where there are children in the family.

Going out on New Year's Day definitely did more damage. Can you imagine waking up people with a hangover to tell them about God?

I never heard of many elders taking the lead and going out those days. One brother just showed up to conduct the meeting for field service and went home afterwards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit