Going in service on holidays

by dsgal 25 Replies latest jw friends

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I just remember one Halloween, my mother forced me to go, one lady was so kind to me and gave me some candy. I'll never forget her. We were passing trick-or-treaters in costume and there was I in my sensible shoes and knee length skirt carting a bag containing... magazines! Isn't this, like, child abuse? Although in hindsight, I guess my attire WAS a costume of sorts, now wasn't it?

Q: What are you going to go as on Halloween?

A: A JW!

NOT!

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

I hated going out in service PERIOD!!! But the holidays were the worse. I hated it as a child and even more as an adult.In fact this Thanksgiving will be the first holiday that I will miss going out in service. I still attend the Hall (only on Sun.) so I know I'm
    going to catch hell about not going out. I've already told my wife that I'm not going out and I would appreciate it if she
    would not take our daughter out on Thanksgiving either. We will see.

Diamond

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

When I was active, we were encouraged to go out all the time, didn't matter if it was holiday or not. I used to balk at that, and this mean pioneer sister would chastise me or anyone else who didn't line up with her pioneer thinking. I couldn't imagine bothering people on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Holidays were the special field service days. You didn't have to work, so the next best thing was to go out in service.

I thought it was very rude to go bother the people at the door, especially on Christmas and Thanksgiving.

• alfie
    alfie

I usually worked on Christmas Day (optional) as I felt I could spread the message better when people would ask why I was working that day. I did try door to door one year, instead of working, and found almost everyone was very upset that we would bother them on that special day. One fellow told me I needed to get a life. Of course I responded with, "that's exactly what I'm hoping for sir." Man, I look back and think what a moron I must have sounded like.

alfie

• core
    core

Only if it was a CO visit to force us out.....many did however with complete disregard for the householders, and the farce of Service Meetings were people came up with ways not to say "And You Too" if some one wished you "A Happy Christmas" - as if they were casting evil spells on you...what a mealy-mouthed waste of time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit