still in doubt

by gotcha 20 Replies latest jw friends

• gotcha
    gotcha

it's my 1st time to post here..i'm basically an open-minded person
    so it has always bothered me to think that there is only one true religion.i've always told this to my mom but she thinks otherwise. i love my mom so much that i would do anything to make her happy but she knows that i have doubts. it's fine with her that i have doubts as long as i go to the meetings and all. unlike you guys here, i've never been one of those efficient jws..i could be categorized as "spritually immature".i hold beliefs which are against there doctrines and for me a well informed and formed conscience is more powerful than laws imposed by people in religious orgs. the things is that i'm in a dilemma..so i just want someone to talk to. you can icq/email or chat with me. thanks hehe =)

• Carmel
    Carmel

Still,

By the Borg's definition, we're all spiritually weak by just coming to a site like this. I bet you've got that line figured out though, right? Welcome and feel free to unload. The release of anxiety from being manipulated by a high-control group like the WBTS Sales Managers is wonderful.

cheers,

carmel

• mensa163
    mensa163

gotcha.... you got me!!
    your name caught my attention so dropped in . I am a newbie here as well (3days) I used to bounce around a bit in my beliefs at one time but now pretty solid and always willing to learn more. I am going to give you a couple of comments and then a guarantee. Let me know your opinion of my slant on religious stuff.

What I believe, what you believe, what your friends and family believe, are not the things you should study to find the truth. The only safe place to go is the bible and is the only trustworthy source for you.There are many good translation of the bible out there, dont be afraid to look and compare them.Most are accurate.Whenever I had a question I would look up the answer and carry on until the next concern came up. I did not know my way around the bible and could not find anything at first so I picked up an NIV Student Bible to get me started. It lists all the different topics in the index and is easy to find stuff.

Now for the guarantee. Eveytime you go to look something up in the bible tell God you want to know the truth and ask him to help you find it. Then watch what happens.Some pretty neat things can happen at times. The best part is that it is between you and God and the bible and none of us to throw you off track.

I think it is safe to guarantee that God will bring us to the truth when we ask him. Sure works for me.

In the meantime I look forward to your postings on this site.

• larc
    larc

mensa,

I am curious. You just wrote that the Bible was the only trustworthy source. Are you referring to the New Testament or all of the Bible. Frankly, I have some problems with the Old Testemant. For example, I don't see how the Noah's Ark and the flood account could be true, based on the mathematics of the situation. Do you have any thoughts on this subject?

• mensa163
    mensa163

Larc
    Darn you anyway! You always come up with a way to make me have to stop and think for a while.The learning continues. I would say yes, I tend to believe in both OT & New Testament as accurate source.But now that you ask, I must admit I have some problems here and there with OT stuff. As far as Noahs ark we have all heard of all the people who claim to have seen it on Mount AArat but "cant find it again" or "the photos disappeared". Maybe it is there,who knows. If it is and God wants us to see it he will melt the ice it is buried under and put it on national TV.
    The one thing I did find interesting a while ago was the following: I may not get it exactly right, but it went something like this.........An actuary studies life spans, birth and death trends etc. It is fairly reliable information and many planners and life insurance companys use it regularly. An actuarial study was done on the presumption that Noahs Ark landed with 8 people aboard about 4000 years ago. Based on that , the population of the earth today then should be between 4-6 billion which is pretty accurate.
    Personally, I believe the ark story is true but have no real proof. It is mentioned in the New Testament as well so that helps me to confirm.

• gotcha
    gotcha

hello thanks for the reply ...hmm i tend to believe in the Bible but the problem is that before you could interpret you must first know the language and the culture behind it..knowing the language is hard enough what more the culture behind it..like saying "cool" now would not mean temperature because of our culture rt? but im still finding ways to get to know the truth..i've spent time in live chat and im planning to get the greek interlinear(?) bible..for further studies and research..and i've also chatted with vsecret and she may also welcome some advices with regard "hope" and death/afterlife

• larc
    larc

mensa,

This is the second time you have misread my question. The first time was when I asked you where the airplane was invented, not where it was flown. This time I asked you about the mathematics and logistics of the Ark, not what was seen lately on Mount Ararat. Would you please address the question.

• larc
    larc

mensa,

Let me clarify this. Go back to Genesis and calculate the size of the Ark, take into consideration the length of time they were in there, and the number of animals they would have to have assembled along with the necessary food and water and tell me what you think.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Gotcha,
    This is a good place to chat and share your feelings. Please know that you are not alone!!! Many of us have had doubts in varying degrees. So read, read, read.
    TW

• gotcha
    gotcha

larc,
    so what do u believe in rt now? do u still believe in the bible or not anymore?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit