Have you joined another religion?

by freedom96 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Salud
    Salud

I do have to agree with 'the Judge' on one thing, all religion is a snare and a racket. Religion has been used to control people. There is a greater awareness of this happening all around us now. Listen to many of today's thinking people and they are discovering that religions have caused more pain and bloodshed than any other single human cause.

Your wars going on today between India and Pakistan, Israel and Palestine, Catholics and Protestants in Ireland are not for water rights, geography, or oil, but rather for hatred that they have for one another. And this has been taught to them through their religion from the day they were born. They are all deep rooted religious wars.

Take for example the Bible, If you were to count all the people that were killed by the hand of God or at least ordered killed by him amounts to over 1 million people!! The Bible and other so called holy books teach that concept of punitive exclusiveness, meaning that we are the only right ones and if you don't agree with us you will suffer punitive damages.

If you want to look for the earliest form of Christianity, hence true christianity, you will not find it in the Christian religions of today, but rather with the teachings of the Gnostics. Their teachings were more deeply rooted in the Mysteries and the Pagan myths back then than the surface teachings you find in today's religions.

The fact that one does not belong to a religion does not make that one less spiritual, nor the fact that one belongs to one make him/her that more spiritual either.

• Lindy
    Lindy

Nope, I haven't. I researched tons while I was leaving and lots afterwards. I believe that there is a creator of sorts, but no more than that as of now. I figure if there is someone there and they want me to know, they had better make it REALLY clear after the JWdom thing. So far, nothing...and I ain't sittin waiting either....

As Always,

Lindy

• mouthy
    mouthy

Tom! To answer your question. The Pastors ( or laymen or womens group leaders )call me. Ask if I will speak at their Church.Ask how much I charge-I tell them I would like my gas paid for-as I am on a pension. I get mostly $30 a session...( Judas!! you say? NO) But the Christian Reformed pays very well-They make a "love offering" where they collect --after I have given my testimony. The most I received was $475.00 I did have to travel 2 hours for that one.

I am very well know - as I have been on T.V locally as you all know- Sally show, Shirley show, Roughcuts ,CBC, etc: What I do is contact the churches & explain they need to educate their flock -because there are wolves in sheeps clothing knocking on their doors.

Christian really want to know what to say.....One woman ( after i had spoke) came up to me & said

"Thank you so much- we wondered why my son has started telling us he was going to have a lion in the New Earth????I know he goes to the 3rd grade with his best friend a JW..""...Now you know the "rest of the story"!!!!!!!!Guess that kid is getting in his "time EH"?

• Mulan
    Mulan

Big Tex said this:

I believed it all completely. And when I found out they were not who or what they said they were, I was devastated. I don't want to ever give that amount of power over me to another group of people. It will only be used to hurt me.

I will say this to that: DITTO!! and DITTO AGAIN!!!

Someone commented about network marketing meetings. I must agree. That is my business, but I don't do meetings. They are too freaking similar to Service Meetings. I do all of my business online and on the phone. It's hard to get people to go to meetings anyway. Cocooning is in!! (staying home..........for those who don't understand)

I go to an occasional corporate NWM meeting, to get updates on products and other things, but I don't do meetings myself. No one comes. Wasn't always like that. I could fill my livng room everytime 8 or 9 years ago.

• gumby
    gumby

NeonMadman,

Don't tell them you have a drink once in a while, or like to go dancing, or listen to music other than Christian music. I asked a baptist pastor if I could hold a position if I did these things and he said no. Manmade rules again......no thanks!

• Simon
    Simon

"Religion is the opium of the people"

I understand this now. It is a painkiller for people who can't face the reality of their existence.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Well, folks, "mouthy" isn't telling you the whole story.

When I came out of JWs 8 years ago, I attended a few churches but was bothered by some of their teachings that I didn't agree with. Soon other ex-JWs found out about me and suggested that I attend some sessions with them that were held not far away. So, I did. And that's where I met "mouthy." She was like a mother hen with all us chicks -- rooster chicks and hen chicks -- discussing the Bible and praying together in such a happy way that it brought tears to my eyes. "Mouthy," often at her own expense and planning, arranged for all of us to have frequent meetings together where we could socialize, munch on little goodies and meatier dishes, and get our questions answered among ourselves. She and I and many of the others are still great friends. It's good she also supplied coffee, since we often stayed late into the night.

She knows I wasn't completely comfortable at first because there were some in the group who believed in the Trinity and others who didn't. In the back of my mind I thought some of them just had to be hypocrites to be calmly discussing the Bible together in the same room. In most discussions I had observed for many years, it was always like a mean-spirited wrestling match when trinitarians and non-trinitarians got together. We had a few lively sessions on the topic, but generally the atmosphere was ideal for people who were hurting and wanting to mend from the wounds the WT Society had given us.

If you're looking for a good church, I would say that the best you can possibly find anywhere is a group of ex-JWs who really love the Bible and who are willing to discuss it peacefully, being acceptable of the fact that we're all different, we're all growing at different speeds, and Christian love and kindness are much more important than accuracy of doctrine in any genuine fellowship.

I attend different churches in town, but I haven't settled on membership in any of them. I'm not against membership, however. I know some other persons who were long-time JWs but who have settled with their families into a community church (or Baptist, Wesleyan, Christian Reformed, etc.), and these people get great enjoyment from singing in the choir, helping the church with its printing needs, helping with the food kitchen, working with the Gideons or the Salvation Army, visiting the sick, etc. Some even share in giving sermons from time to time. Church is a great place to make new and lasting friendships for yourself and your family. It's also a great place for finding ways to show your genuine love for your neighbours in the community as well as for God.

Because of certain beliefs I hold in private, I stay away from churches where there is bound to be a conflict between them and my conscience. But I often find that some church people are eager to know what I believe and why. Church pastors have invited me to share my beliefs and to lead question and answer sessions, even when my teaching was very different from the church's statement of beliefs. Whenever I return to such churches, I'm almost always greeted by someone who draws me into a quiet corner where he or she can ask me some Bible questions that cry for an answer.

Another great place to hear extraordinary sermons is at a seminary or college where free lectures are given on religious topics. I've attended some really great ones on Christian history, creation and evolution, why many scientists believe in God, as well as some about Bible characters.

I also take a turn with pastors from several communities in holding church services at hospitals and nursing homes. We do this on Sunday afternoons around 2:30. And if you want to make hospitalized and elderly people really happy and grateful, just visit them and ask if they would like you to read something to them from the Bible. Whenever I do that, I go home knowing that my blessing that day was indescribable. They also appreciate other inspiring literature and items from the local newspaper. No need to tire them out. Just a brief visit is usually all it takes.

I also think it's good to contribute financially to churches that run hospitals and nursing homes and other community services for the benefit of the general public. That is something we never had opportunity to do as JWs, and we really missed out on a blessing because of it.

Thanks, "mouthy," for being among those who steered me in the right way when I was floundering a bit and not knowing what to do about my spiritual needs. I want you all to know that I do none of the above perfectly. I really doubt God expects that of you and me. But it deserves at least a try whenever we can. I do believe with all my heart that the happiest persons in the world are ex-JWs I know who love God and one another and also their neighbours in the community at large.

Frank

• PurpleV
    PurpleV
    I sincerely cannot see myself ever JOINING another religion. The thought of handing control over to any person or group again literally sickens me.

As it should. One should never hand over control of oneself to ANYONE or ANYTHING else. Easier said than done for all of us who did it once, though, right? [grin]

However, joining a church doesn't mean handing over control.

I CHOOSE to "belong" to the Episcopal church, where their "doctrine" consists of 1/3 Bible, 1/3 tradition, and 1/3 YOUR OWN CONSCIENCE AND BELIEF.

You don't HAVE TO do or believe anything you don't want.

I however, like worshipping GOD during the services (as opposed to bowing down to an organization,) I love the music, the good works (homeless shelter and pantry, community outreach, etc.) and finally learning what some of those complicated Bible passages really could mean.

Met a lot of great people who became lifelong friends, too.

Umm, I also get unconditional love there.

Hugs, V

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

PurpleV,

Well spoken. You're a gal after my own heart.

Hugs to you too.

Frank

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well Frank what a lovely tribute you paid me. It made it worth getting up this A.M. I did stick my chest out( as I say it wont go through the window).

Isnt it strange -I had so many upsetting calls yesterday-That to receive your very kind thanks for "getting to know me"today....I feel God knew I needed a "cheer up" .....

Reminded me of the Cuircut Servants encouraging "keep it up Grace" ( wink,wink,) I guess you can take the gal out of the WT but it is hard to take the WT out of the gal......

But since I am an OLD Woman ---ITS OUT!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit