Ho Ho Ho!!

by happy2b 12 Replies latest jw friends

• happy2b
    happy2b

Hi! Are we all ready for Christmas?!! So, who here buys 'real' trees and who has the fake? This will be our 4th Christmas. Before our first, I ask a ton of people which I should buy, Feeling kinda stupid not knowing. But, I kept getting the same answers, "I love the smell of a real tree, but they are a pain and make a mess, so we always have a fake tree". So...................a 9 ft. FAKE tree stands very majestic in my living room every year now.

I've never gotten to go to a Christmas tree farm and pick out a tree, but I'm thinking about it this year. Any suggestions? which do you prefer?

Hugs and Happy Holidays!!

Happy2b OUT!! (Sharon)

• Francois
    Francois

I'd drather have a live tree. I like blue spruce. And if you take care that the tree stump is put into enough water and you keep it topped up, it won't shed either. I always got a spray bottle and kept the needles sprayed too. Nice. And it smells better than aluminum.

• dmouse
    dmouse

We still don't have Christmas, because we live in a 'divided household'; but during our Autumn break this year we went into a really nice gift shop. In the middle of a small room at the back of the shop was a Christmas tree decked out with all the lights, it had baskets around it full of the most fantastic baubles and tree decorations. Christmas jingles were playing and the ambient light
    level was low, with a fake log fire flickering seductively at the back. My son and I spent ages in there while the rest of my family explored more of the shop. It was so cosy, we both agreed that it was something we really missed, the decorations and anticipation...the whole feeling of Christmas, especially the tree thing, even though we've never really experienced it before.

Even though I'm out now I still don't like the gift buying tradition - it seems so forced and it's such a pain.

Like many JWs in our area we have something called 'family day' when we buy presents for the kids. We have ours on the first Saturday in December.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I love the new fake trees with the fiber optic lights, but the live tree won hands-down for my family's first Christmas. We are going to cut a tree off from a relative's property. I'm not sure what kind we'll end up with-probably spruce. I wonder what tamarack would look like, if it would hold up under the weight of decorations. We are also going to make cedar wreaths(has anyone ever had a cedar Christmas tree before?)

The only thing I hate about live trees is that they only last about two weeks when you have wood heat, so we can't put one up until mid-December.

• caligirl
    caligirl

We had a real one for our first tree last year, and will be going with that again this year. We had a 7 foot Fraser Fir, and it was gorgeous. Sure, we had to vacuum every day to clean up the needles, and remember to water it, but it looked so beautiful and smelled so good!

• shera
    shera

I have fake trees...I love the smell of real trees,but hate the mess of real ones.Besides I forget to water them and they start to loose their needles before christmas is here

• TR
    TR

I love real trees. I like to go looking for a tree while it's snowing. Brings back childhood memories in the pre-'hovah days. This will be my 7th Xmas since I sh*t-canned 'hovahville. Thank goodness I grew up with Xmas. So many great memories. I love how those feeling come back every holiday season. I struggled with those feelings and memories while a 'hovah. For ten years, it was the saddest time of the year.

NOT NO MORE!

TR- Xmassy kind of dude

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I'm with those who like the real trees but don't like the mess and the yearly expense of buying one, so I will stick to my fake one. Any rate, it's really the lights and decorations that I enjoy, even more so than the tree.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I like "real" trees to, but we heat our home w/wood during the winter months which makes everything VERY dry. I broke down a few years ago and bought a fake one, which really looks nice. My only regret is not getting the one w/the lights already connected to it.......*sigh*

One of my most favorite times is sitting with just the Christmas lights on the tree, quiet music playing and it is peacefully snowing outside. Add a cup of cocoa and I am in heaven. Just something magical about the season.......

• LB
    LB

We also heat with wood (only heat source) and trees dry out fast. Last year was our first tree in many years. We did a blue spruce and it was ok, but a couple of days after Christmas it did start shedding. This year we'll cut our own again but we're going much bigger. Big lasts longer right? Our ceiling is 16 feet high so that's as big as I can go I guess, without remodeling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit