Why I don't Have Children

by teenyuck 28 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I just read LuckyLucy's thread and wanted to tell my story.

I also want to ask a question: Why are women who have children viewed more favorably than women who don't? Especially if the choice is to not have children. I am curious by the negativitiy I have experienced by voicing this.

I do not have children. I am getting close to the age where in-vitro becomes common. My husband and I have been discussing do we/don't we, should we/can we for years.

I was raised a dub, my husband was raised a Catholic. As any good JW girl knows, the secret to acceptance and happiness, as a dub, is to get a man....any man. The sooner the better. I was raised with this thinking until my mother's divorce when I was 13. Too late to get those thoughts out of my sister's head or mine.

My sister got pregnant when I was 15. Had the kid when I was 16. I wanted a baby--BAD!! All the attention, all the acceptance, all the love that my relatives showed just made me more determined to get one for my own.

Luckily for me, no one wanted me. My mother was/is somewhat of a parriah in the cong, so the boys stayed away. (sis got preg by a worldly cousin of a JW friend)

Fast forward to college. I had to go to college. This was decided by my mother during the spring of my senior year in HS. (I have the feeling she realized I was not pioneer material and no brother wanted me) I was educationally unprepared, however, I gave it my best shot for 4 years. During my Jr. year, away at the university, I met my first real boyfriend. He was wonderful. (I lost my virginity, at home, with a guy I went to the community college with during my sophomore year. My mom was at the Friday night meeting and I had him over; she never knew. He was a bum, just looking to deflower someone). Anyway, my boyfriend at school was great. He really seemed to love me. He was from the Chicago area and I visited his family when we were on break. However, he was Mexican. I was 1 year older and left school while he was a senior.

My first summer out of college I started working and meeting men. I worked at a company where there were mostly men...they all seemed to like me. I had gained some confidence being away from home, however, not too much. I was flattered by all the attention and decided that waiting for Lupe (my boyfriend from school) was silly...I would date and see what else was out there. Plus, my mother was telling me a Mexican was not a good idea. She is very racist. I am not. I was stupid for hurting someone who loved me because I wanted to see what else was out there.

I hurt Lupe deeply. I was selfish. I didn't think of how I was hurting him, just of myself.

I started dating a guy who worked in the shop (it was Pella Windows; we distributed and assembled the final product at our facility); he was tall, blond and very cocky. We had fun, however, he did not want to get married; suddenly I did. He dumped me.

I then went out on New Years Eve, Dec. 31, 1984, and met another tall, blond man. We started dating and 2.5 months later were married. In the meantime, I had gotten promoted, was working projects and getting raises. He wanted me to stop working, stay home and be a wife and mother. He told me he wanted 4-5 kids and I was good material. I said no. He then started verbally abusing me. I was stupid, fat and ugly. He told me that all the time. Then he threw me up against a wall when I told him I would not quit my job. I walked out that night. (I found out during the discovery phase of my divorce that he had been married 2 previous times and beat both women)

My boss at that time was a guy at work who I always could talk to. I told him what happened; he told me to get marriage counseling. I ended up at a shelter for abused women. I did get counseling. That was helpful. However, I did get divorced. I met, married and divorced my husband all within 14 months. (J Lo. is taking way to long )

My boss asked me out the day my divorce was final. We dated for 2 years and were married about 15 years ago.

When we married, we decided to wait on children. We were young (mid 20's) and had time. About 3 months after our wedding, I was diagnosed with epilepsy. I have grand mal seizures. I am on lots of meds to ensure I do not have more seizures. Luckily, they have been nocturnal seizures, so I have been able to keep my car and my independence.

About 2 years after our wedding my husband accepted a job offer in Ohio. We moved and lived in Ohio for 1 1/2 years. Then he took another job which required us moving to California. We again talked kids and decided we would wait. Money and careers were critical and what the heck, we were young. We had time.

3 1/2 years later we moved to Cincinnati with his job. We were there 1 1/2 years and he took another job promotion; on the condition we move to Wichita, Kansas. We were there 3 1/2 years. My husband accepted another job and we moved back to Ohio-where we are now-for the last three years.

I am no longer in my mid-20's. I am on medication that causes birth defects. We kinda decided about 4 years ago that maybe having children was not in our future. When I look back, I never had a "mommy" instinct. I never had an overwhelming desire to have a child. (being 16 and wanting a child for attention does not count) I realize now that not having kids was the best solution for us. My husband can devote the necessary time and energy to his career. He does not seem upset at not having kids.

We both grew up in extremely dysfunctional households. We have both admitted that we don't know how to raise a child properly. Using instinct does not seem fair to the child. OTOH, reading every book in the world on child rearing won't make you a good parent, if you don't have something in you. I don't think I have I have that 'something'. I believe my husband does, however, he would have to give up work hours, possible promotions, golf, dinners out, movies out and alot of other intangible things. We only think about them when we talk to friends with kids and realize how easy our life is.

My MIL wants grandkids. She knows my medical history and the complications and does not care. My mother could care less. She does not want more grandkids. She has my nephew and that is 1 too many. She is not interested in being a grandma.

I now tell people, that have the nerve to ask why we don't have children, that it is a medical issue. It really was not a medical issue until I hit 40. Now, between the meds I am on and the risk of Down's, it near impossible for me to imagine risking having a baby. That I do not think I want anyway.

If we decide in a few years that we can afford to raise a child, give up lots of stuff we like to do, etc., we will look into adoption. However, I need to be sure we are both committed to being there for the baby. I cannot say that now.

I have been called selfish, lazy and a child hater. I am selfish. I am not lazy, nor am I a child hater. I just don't feel that I would be a good mother.

When I hear woman saying that they just cannot wait to have children/love being pregnant/it is the most rewarding thing/the kid is the light of their life....etc., I get annoyed. Yes, they give up alot to be a mother. However, how much thought and planning have those people put into being a parent. Not too much. When I see a poor, uneducated woman/mother on TV for some terrible news story, I wonder why they keep having kids. Too many people have children and don't spend time with them, read to them, etc.

I have thought about this for years. Not being a mother is my choice and I am no less a woman for not having a child. People need to respect the people who know that procreation is not for everyone.

edited for typos....ooppsss

Edited by - teenyuck on 15 November 2002 11:29:23

Edited by - teenyuck on 15 November 2002 11:32:35

Edited by - teenyuck on 15 November 2002 11:35:44

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I need to add:

I do not worry about the world being a bad place. It has always been. I am not worried about what a child would grow up with.

The doom and gloom of dubism never even entered my mind until I saw it on the other thread.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I don't have children, but it's not that I didn't want children. It would be very difficult for me to have children because of medical problems. I am now nearly 40 and it crosses my mind all the time. Last year I underwent minor fertility treatments to help me along and all that fertility clinic was take my money. Some people benefit from fertility treatments, however I did not. For one thing, you have to have a pretty good income to even afford this kind of stuff. Many people don't know that one round of IVF costs 8,000 to 10,000 (which most insurance won't cover) dollars EACH time. Two rounds of IVF and you can adopt a child. Plus they only gave me a 30 percent chance of pregnancy. Take my 10,000 dollars and only offer a 30 percent chance. My GOD! I saw people at that fertility clinic whipping out the old credit cards to pay for these treatments. I saw many desperate women wanting a baby so bad that they were willing to go in massive debt. One woman I met there had spent 30,000 dollars and still had not gotten pregnant. Have you ever tried so hard to do something and it never came to pass? I think some things are meant to be. My childhood friend who never wanted kids is now getting ready to have her first child. She wouldn't even tell me about her pregnancy for fear I would "hate" her. I have made peace with this. If I have kids, great, if I don't, I will live the life God wants me to live.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Teenyuck,

I have thought about this for years. Not being a mother is my choice and I am no less a woman for not having a child. People need to respect the people who know that procreation is not for everyone.

I totally agree with you and I'm sorry to hear that you've been judged so negatively for what is entirely a personal choice. I have children but I've never looked askance at someone who chooses not to. If I had it to do over, who knows if I would make the same decision? But, of course, now that I have them I wouldn't give them up for anything. I also admire you for weighing the advantages and disadvantages and making a reasoned decision on the matter. Thanks for sharing some of your story.

Take care,

Dana

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Tres, I am sorry it did not work for you. I believe the doctors who have promoted the idea that anyone, at any age, can get pregnant, are wrong and unethical.

When you have to pay that much to have a child, I am firmly of the belief that you should adopt. Put that money to use helping a child someone did not want.

If I did not have medical issues and wanted children. I would try it the natural way. If that did not work, I would adopt and put the rest of the funds into a college fund for the child.

The age issue bothers me also. I am 40. Having a child in college, when I near retirement, is not positive. I don't want people asking if the child is my grandkid. I saw a lady on some news show this past week who was 55 and had a child using a donated egg. I don't agree with that. That is too old.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I do not think that there is anything wrong at all with not having children. I do not think you are selfish for not wanting a child. There is no law anywhere that there is something wrong with you if you do not have children. I am sorry that some people have obviously made you feel that there is something wrong with not having children. Having children is not like deciding to buy a new couch. There is no turning back from a commitment to have a child, and not everyone wants to make that commitment. It does not make you a child hater, or selfish. I say that it makes you wise to be able to recognize that you are not ready for that commitment. Fortunately, we live in a time where we can make that choice. So ignore all the biddys who tell you that you are lacking because you do not have children. We are all individuals and are free to make our own choices - what matters is how you feel about your life, not what someone else thinks you and your husband need to make your life complete.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Teenyuck,

I commend your point of view and I can't stand when people insist on knowing why someone doesn't have or doesn't want children or think they have a duty to 'God and country' or to their parents or in-laws to procreate. Anyone who chooses to remain childless for any reason should be commended for it. If you don't think you would be a good mother then you are doing your children a service by NOT having them. [Strange logic, but I hope you get my drift.]

I have two kids whom I love dearly, but motherhood is a constant, unending battle. Yes it's rewarding, my children make me laugh and they make me very proud, they also make me want to tear my hair out sometimes. My DH and I have given up a lot financially and freedom wise and while I would not trade my chidlren for anything I have the utmost respect for people who are childless by choice.

Silverleaf

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

teenyuck.......that you for such and open and honest post.

Parenting isn't for everyone. And I agree, I think it is terrible that some people look down on those that chose not to have children.

For me it was a choice to have children.....and yes, motherhood has been THE greatest blessing in my life.......but that was for ME.

A woman's merrit should have no bearing on how many children that they bring into this world.....

• TisInYourWishbone
    TisInYourWishbone

You may have fooled yourself but trying to compromise others into being fooled by a sob story makes you a lesser woman.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi teenyuck:

You are totally right. Not everyone wants, or can become, a mother or father. If my kids decide not to make me a Grandma, I would accept that decision. It's just that I have such fond memories of my own kids, I wish the same memories for my children. It is very hard, almost impossible, to feel how others feel on this subject when you haven't lived it. Like anything in life. What it comes down to really is respecting other people.

On the subject of your medication, my daughter has rolandic epilepsy. The doctors say she will outgrow it in puberty. I hope so. Currently, she is on tegretol. Is that what medication you are taking? If so, I worked for a woman whose daughter was on tegretol for grand mal seizures. She got pregnant and had a healthy baby girl. So, I guess the tegretol, when monitored, does not stop you from having a healthy child. So, if my daughter still has to take it later in life, if she wants to have kids, she can.

Take care.

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit