Just wrote my DA letter....

by dubstepped 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder
    You don't have to play their game, but if you do - play it well as Marvin suggests.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I'll be honest. I think that screwing with them or trying to prove points isn't productive. I've written very loving letters that do have some points in them (more direct to the elders and more subtle to family) and that's my methodology. I have no desire to stoop to the levels they do when they talk about other religions. Love was my wake up call and love will be the way I go out. That's not to say that I'm writing wussified pandering letters accepting the shame that they want me to hold for my decision. I will probably share my letter later. I've read samples online and they're very combative. You catch more flies with honey, not that I'm trying to manipulate like the organization does. I'm just being authentic and the anti-organization. They're cold and rigid and sterile. One of my many mottos is "rise above" and that's my goal.
  • Israel Ricky Gonzales
    Israel Ricky Gonzales

I'm sure it will be announced at the congregation that has your publisher cards.

The book, Captives of a Concept, put it succinctly: 10,000 words wont make a difference if they aren't ready to face the truth about the organization, but a few choice words will make all the difference with someone who is ready.

I was disfellowshipped because I found out too much TTATT, but either way, it's the same thing: DF or DA = complete shunning. The bright side is that you can be your true self without having to look over your shoulder for other JW's.

I couldn't put on two faces. Once I knew it was all a sham, I was done. Why waste time and energy?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Sounds like you know what you need to do. So all the best with it.

I would like to DA for the reasons you have mentioned, but have held off as I feel I don't acknowledge their authority therefore do not need to resign. I may feel differently one day in which case I would inform them that I 'm withdrawing my membership based on my conscience as I do not want to be associated with an organization that does not report abuse.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Since you are in the position to be able to burn your bridges, why not go out with a bang? Write a letter stating why you now believe the Watchtower is a cult and send it to everyone in the congregation.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Because that's a lot of stamps and letters to address for an ineffectual campaign against people I have no beef with. No reason to feed the bitter, mentally diseased apostate stereotype. I'll let them wonder. Also, none of them were really close to us anyway, so its impact would be diminished. I'd rather try to build a bridge that others might cross someday than burn them all down.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So, what's the process? We send our letter to a few elders to make sure it is received. How long until they announce? Will they announce at the Halls we grew up in where our families attend?

My suggestion:

• A short and direct letter stating that you are disfellowshipping them for [insert a reason/reasons here].
    • Get all the names and addresses of the dubs you don't like and send them a copy.
    • Any dubs you do care about, try to speak to them personally.
  • Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    Don't send them anything. They have no authority over you and will simply consider you to be a despicable apostate. Don't give them that pleasure.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Simply quote:

John 8:32 "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Cut and run! Congrats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit