How Would You Help An Alcoholic Friend?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

mimimus,

Try this site: http://www.empoweredrecovery.com

It is primarily aimed at the non-alcoholic, but will provide some useful info.

FP

• minimus
    minimus

thank you Freepeace and EVERYONE else for your excellent advice.I heard that the elders met with her last night and are publicly reproving tonight.The reason? Because one elder said he saw no newspaper coverage which she then corrected and said that the local town newspaper reported it in the arrest column.They told her to make all her meetings and pray more and go out more in service,

• Europe
    Europe

Aa and from her friends..all the support she can get!!

• Shakita
    Shakita

Oh God, minimus, are they really reproving this poor woman? That makes me so mad! And a public reproof? God, why couldn't it be a private one. Oh yea, those small minded elders want to peel away any self esteem she might have left!!!!

Your friend needs help with her problem. And, what does she get from the religion that is supposed to reflect the fruits of God, REPROOF. She needs HELP. Not a punishment. That's like punishing your teenager and grounding her because she has a drug/drinking problem. You have to seek out professional help and care for that person. NOT PUNISH HER!

I hope that this public humiliation doesn't send your friend to drink even more!

So sorry, minimus, I know that this must be hard on you too. Take care.

Mrs. Shakita

• breeze
    breeze

Yep, Public Reprove will fix her for good....

After all if they sent her to AA, they might mention God?

I have had an alcohol problem for years. I have tried to blame it on the Org. They certainly have to admit their share of guilt? I think I am just a weak piece of crap.....anyway...

I have had many health problems from the abuse. First I had stomach problems for ten years. I tried to think that the alcohol isn't causing this problem, but when I would ease up for only a day or two the symtoms would go away?

In the last few months I have a big foot pain problem. The doctors say it is from the alcohol abuse for many years. The medical term is peripheral neuropathy. I also have some problems with my hands but the foot pain thing is pretty rough. No one thinks about their feet until everytime you stand up they hurt like hell. This problem is caused by the depletion of vitiamin B-6 from the body from the constant alcohol use.

The foot problem has compeled me to stop drinking, November 9th, 2002, is two months for me?

Well, show her my story and maybe it will help. Although if she is deeply affected it probably won't help, only AA or some kind of life altering event will stop her?

I believe that JW's have more than their share of alcohol related problems with very little help offered the members. I have many friends cureently involved and X-JW buddies that suffer from alcohol related abuse.

Just pray and it will go away......YIKES...

BREEZE

• minimus
    minimus

Well, Mrs. Shakita, the elders MUST keep the congregation clean, right?

• blondie
    blondie

The difference here is that the alcoholic behavior of the sister became known in the media or to non-witnesses.

I have known of elders (and others) whose alcoholism has been recognized behind the scenes but winked at.

Blondie

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

All I can say is that it sure must be a difficult thing for anyone to give up alcohol COMPLETELY, let alone someone that has a serious dependancy on it. I have to give alot of credit to anyone that has been able to give it up because that sure must have been tough. It is easy to talk about the guy with the "problem" going to AA and getting help but how many of us could get on the wagon with our friend if that is what it took?

Alcohol is deeply woven in our society especially in social settings and maybe even more so in JW culture. It is a known problem that is either hidden or we mutually turned a blind eye to it because it was arguably the "only vice we were allowed to have" as a JW once said.

The Society really hangs out to dry people with problems related to (extreme)alchohol abuse, smoking and drug dependancy. They ignore the nature of these things and think that prayer, study and field service will make them better and if it doesn't maybe disfellowshipping will. They end up driving alot of sick people over the edge and putting them in an even more dangerous situation by not offering them practical help.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit