How Would You Help An Alcoholic Friend?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Several have mentioned the denial and resistence to treatment that your friend will likely display. Another objection she may have is that AA is a "religious" program and she shouldn't attend because she is a Witness. They do place an emphasis on God, but it is very generic and their is no doctrine. People from all religious backgrounds attend, and there is no attempt by members of AA to convert anyone to their particular religion. You may want to point this out to her. When someone first attends AA meetings, they encourage the new person to attend a meeting every day. She may object that this is too time consuming and it will take away from her time for Witness meetings. You could point out that one hour a day at an AA meeting, is less time than she spends drinking, by far.

• spike
    spike

I just returned from an aa and alanon convention. I can't say enough for AA and 12 step programs. It worked wonders for me. Our third tradition states "The only requirement for AA. membership is a desire to stop drinking". Call AA and they will have women come and take her to meetings. Treatment is discovery but AA is recovery. I sit in meetings with an elders wife ,xpioneer who has a drinking problem. The elders could not help me so they suggested AA. And they told her the same. Hope it works.

• RR
    RR

Buy 'em a beer?

• Crystal
    Crystal

I had a friend..whos wife was a big time drinker.She told him she was not an alcholic (You cannot help someone if they think they do not have a problem) So anyway..he started to video tape her everytime she got drunk. He waited until he had about 20 different episodes and one day he played them back to her.She was so disgusted with what she saw that she stopped.

• Mary
    Mary

Other than AA, I'm not sure what you can do..........I agree though, that unless the person ACKNOWLEDGES that they have a drinking problem, and they WANT to change, there's absolutely nothing you can do.

My sister drinks ALOT. I would say she has 4 or 5 drinks every day except on the weekend when she probably has more like 10 on Saturday and maybe 6 or 7 on Sunday. She and my brother-in-law drink stuff like Scotch and Southern Comfort STRAIGHT........they don't even put Coke with it (yuk!). She says she knows she has "one vice" as she likes to call it, but says "I'm NOT giving it up!" When she complains that she's putting on weight (gee, can't imagine WHY!!), I suggested that she cut her drinking in half............she simply said "that's not gonna happen."

My sister and brother in law are very prominant in their congregation and she thoroughly enjoys the social status and they are out every weekend and often through the week, with other Witnesses, drinking their faces off. Because she tends to drink over several hours, she doesn't think she's an alcoholic, but I do.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can say or do to get her to stop or even slow down. The strange thing is, alcoholism does not run in my family. Neither of my parents drank (or they drink very little. A 40 oz. will last them 5 years). The only one that did was my grandfather, but he wasn't an alcoholic.........weird.......

• Mulan
    Mulan

Al-Anon is a great resource for family and friends of alcoholics. I recommend it.

• shera
    shera

There isn't much more I can mention.Good advice here.

I had an alcoholic father as well,it was very hard to get him help..he died at43.All I can say is extremely intensive help.A weekend isn't going to do a thing or a week.She has to help her problems that have caused the ahcolism,before she can give the booze up all together.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Vitamin B, Thiamine - whatever harm reduction can be provided - alternate use of time in particular.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

(agreeing w/mulan)........raising my hand high cause I am an active member of Alanon.

Edited by - scootergirl on 13 November 2002 18:19:13

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

We often refer alchoholics to a detox center, which keeps them long enough to sober them up. If that works then we recommend AA. If not, a treatment center.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit