independent thinking

by stephenw20 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That would be the stock answer DOC !

But in the O.P it quotes from the first letter of John, written long after the Apostles had died, so there was a real need to check what was being taught.

We are even further removed from the Apostles, so even more reason to be very Beroean in attitude and check the Scriptures to see if these things are "really so."

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I would just like to take this opportunity to reiterate what Morris said at the AGM about "testing the faith". (This is not a verbatim quote, but it's pretty close:) "This expression doesn't mean to test the faith, it means to test your own faith to make sure it's strong. We already know it's the truth, there's no need to test that!"

• DS211
    DS211

When i heard that quote from morris i was at the front row of the annual meeting and i was about to throw my daughters teddy at the screen. To me they were rubbing what they know is false in the foklowers faces...taunting them with "i wont twist the scriptures like brother so and so" and "theres no need to test the truth!".....blah

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Of course we must think independently.. my brain is in my skull, my brain is independent from yours and anyone else's brain. It operates separate from any one else's and has it's own unique and totally independent thoughts and ideas which I have more than enough of a challenge to control myself let alone letting someone other human that I don't even know and have never met control it.

What a ridiculous concept.

• tec
    tec

1983 "Avoid Independent Thinking .. How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization." {WT Jan 15 1983 22}

1Jo 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

think I 'll stay with John on this one!

Yes. And also Christ:

"Why don't you judge for yourselves what is right?" Luke 12:57

(judge as in to discern/decide... not judge as in to condemn. http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2919&t=KJV)

Peace,

tammy

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Great point Tammy..

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Tony Morris's twisting of Revelation 2:2 to try and turn it back on JW's themselves rather than to test their own religious leaders who sit in apostle-like status as kings over them is a flagrant self-serving abuse of scripture. Read Greg Stafford's excellent article here: http://elihubooks.blogspot.co.nz/2011/07/put-them-to-test.html

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Oh, that's good, thanks yadda (I wonder if the writer of the article heard the AGM talk by Morris, he would have flipped out). I think this should be a big red flag in the minds of many JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit