going to meetings

by hamptonite21 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Not since June, though I attended part of last Thursday's meeting at my dad's congregation because he had the 4th student talk (his first since his disfellowshipping two years ago and reinstatement last year) and it meant a lot to him to have us there. The kids and I went late, stayed for the talk, and then left at halftime. The hall was half empty, and everyone's affect was one of boredom and apathy. Dad's talk was the only one with any enthusiasm. I felt relaxed because it was my choice to be there, not because I was trying to follow GB rules about attendance, participation and, above all, BEING ON TIME. I'm not planning to return, though.

Dad read "Crisis of Conscience" and said that, while he agrees with everything he read, he's going to continue to go to meetings because he doesn't know what else to do. I sympathize with him - that was my attitude for 14 years, until something happened that was the proverbial final straw. Ah, sweet freedom!

Nina

• acsot
    acsot

I'm in the same league as Minimus and Blondie. I've had questions and questions and guilt and fear for so long and then whammo! Read one e-book (God Lives in Brooklyn) and that was the eye-opener. I go sporadically, like Minimus, and also my mother is living with me, so for her sake I go. At the point I'm at now, the relief I feel (no more guilt, fear, etc.) more than makes up for whatever time I spend at the meetings I do happen to attend. Anyway, I use the time to compile my lists of errands or I use my notepad to write diary entries (it's quite therapeutic - and people think I'm so spiritual ! I hand in a service report but don't do any preaching - I actually enjoy screwing up their precious statistical reports that way. Once again, I don't want the hassle of elders wondering why I'm suddenly inactive and causing my mother a heart attack in the process (like many of you, I pioneered, special pioneered, served where the need was great, etc.)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I attend most Sunday meetings but have not attended Tuesday and Thursday for several years. The last time I went out in service was the morning of Princes Dianas funeral. There is no significance other than it was a memorable day.

I attend because my wife is still active. Although her activity has dropped significantly since I did the official "fade away."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit