The Bible - inerrant word of God?

by Mr Bean 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

The deeper you look into, clearer picture is emerging that God had not any input in these writings at all. There are many verses, even whole passages which exist in some editions and in some they do not.

He evidently didn't supervised writers or copyists and we have plenty of evidences of that, His name in NT included.

Since Gospels of Peter or Thomas are not regarded as valuable and important documentations of Jesus' life, only one conclusion comes to my mind.

As a moral guide the Bible is an excellent book, written by... men!

Highly recommended!

Warning!!!

Not to be used as an inerrant word of God. To be used mere as a guide, not
    as the law. Can cause even bloodshed!

Peace...

BTW.

I think lawyers would have a financial paradise if the Bible would be used
    as the law in courts. Some disputes would last for thousands of years!

;-P

Its there just one solid proof that some part of the Bible has originated from God?

• Navigator
    Navigator

Mr. Bean

OMG! Does this mean we have to give up the practice of Bibliolotry? What will all of those fundamentalist preachers expound on? How dare you criticize it. We need to keep it just like Jesus wrote it.

Seriously, I actually had a guy tell me that after he jumped on me for reading from the RSV from the pulpit. He was raised on the KJV, and thought we ought to keep it just like Jesus wrote it.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

There are certain scriptures I can respect in the fact they are "common sense". Some obviously, are not. For eg. (ugh... I don't have a bible at work - not a good JW anymore - so I can't give the chapter & verse) but is it Eccl. or Prov... the scripture about "timing". A time to laugh, cry, peace, war, etc. I like that. Or "unforseen occurrence befall them all".

As far as the bible being a "moral" book, it depends on what era they're in. Is it moral to have "more than one wife" ... or instructions on how to treat your "concubines". The good ole' adultry test for women. How about warfare instructions (extermination) - hmmm, all in the name of God. Sorry, for me the morality of the bible is no different than morality found around the world, in areas without the benefit of the bible (eg. China). No better - no worse.

I feel, like any "good" book it should be read. Once. Then move on, baby...

• thepreacher
    thepreacher

What was that about, "court of law" Mr. Bean?

You might just read, "Evidence That Demands a Verdict" parts 1 & 2 by Josh McDowell, then follow those up with "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel......or are you one of those atheistic, liberal windbags who fancies himself a modern Thomas Paine? BTW, Paine never got his facts straight either back in the Age of Disenlightenment *tm. His book, Age of Reason is a real 'hoot' when one looks at his appalling lack of investigation.

The Preacher

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Aesop's fables are also a fine moral guide and teach quite good lessons for those who want to live unselfish, productive lives. I like some of the fables in the Bible, but I also appreciate Aesop.

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

What was that about, "court of law" Mr. Bean?

I mean in civil courts of course. Since WTS and many other religions are using the Bible as the law of God, my reasoning is such. In the Bible there are many laws and many of them are contradictory to each other, depend of an interpretation. You can prove that Jesus was resurrected in flesh, in spirit. You can prohibit blood transfusion, allow it and there many other examples.

The way the Bible is written would allow any lawyer to argue for ages in court and justice would be never served! Since law made by humans is far superior and precise that law of God than my choice of law would be obvious.

Another factor comes to my mind. Whoever wrote the Bible, had not a slightest idea about modern technologies. No one word about flying, mobile phones, train, submarines, TV etc, etc.

The prophecies about last days: will be wars and difficult times are not prophecies. Thats mere speculations and they are fitting perfectly in nearly all periods in history.

Another fact is stunning for me.

If someone like Jesus would walk today on Earth and I would be chosen as his disciple. What I would do? After a hard day of working with Jesus I would come to home, write down what he was teaching. Stop! Wrong. I would record EVERY word Son of God has spoken. I would make a video of his miracles. Than I would go on my machine and spread the same day all his words to the world! Using the Internet, of course. I believe that most of us in such situation would do exactly the same thing.

Going back to the Bible. The newest Greek scriptures were written in circa 64 CE.

Why they were waiting for more than 30 years to write about son of God???

I think also that Jesus resurrection would cause in his time an incredible rebellion against Romans. Try to imagine what would happened if JFK would be resurrected the third day in ! It would be a revolution against current government!

Than if I look at copyist mistakes, overlooking some verses etc, I feel that some smart guys were writing not bad books and fantasies 2000 years ago. No a trace of God and His supervision in Bible writing.

So far no one gave a single hint (Forget the proof!) that the Bible is the word of God.

Im sorry but since God gave us a brains I feel that we should use it.

Peace

• searcher
    searcher

Anything can be ' proved from the bible '

Anything can be ' disproved ' from the bible '

My opinion ? The bible is a great book to use if you want to be really nasty and evil to your fellow man and feel justified about it. You may also gain great riches by being able to control prople and collect money ' in the name of god '

As to living your life by a book that claims to be true and offers as proof that the claim is in the book that is claiming to be true, well all I can say is, I have a great Island for sale, it is invisible, but you know that it is there because I have just written about it, the person who sends me the most money will be sent the deeds to the island.

searcher.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The deeper you look into, clearer picture is emerging that God had not any input in these writings

Deeper? I don't agree - I find the opposite, and as someone said, 'Aesop's fables can be a good read' . I think it's largely to do with the language that is already expected ( by he who has something ) - if His kingdom is not of this world, why do people think the language would be of this world ?

paduan

• COMF
    COMF
    You might just read [superfluity deleted]...or are you one of those atheistic, liberal windbags

So it's one or the other, eh?

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

The real (but now sadly missing) first page of the bible:

Dedicated to my darling Betty.

This book is entirely fictional. Any similarity of the characters in this book to real persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

(Any posters/lurkers from the UK should recognise that joke from the TV comedy series Red Dwarf.)

Iggy the fish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit