Turkey!!!

by LuckyLucy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Or ham for Thanksgiving or something else??

• Crystal
  • heathen
    heathen

I love the turkey dinner myself with the homemade gravey and stuffing ,ham is ok but I don't like the salty tasting ham . yummy .

• Valis
    Valis

I have taken to frying my turkeys...I can do about a 16lb turkey in a little less than an hour. No more baking it all day and smelling it for hours, or basting it all the time. Simply inject w/juice the day before....heat up the big ole pot of veggie or peanut oil and 50 minutes later BAM! Done and juicy and plump turk...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Celia
    Celia

Turkey, once a year only. I may try a cornbread stuffing this year. White wine gravy. Gratin Dauphinois and creamy mashed potatoes. Buttery green beans with parsley. Cranberry sauce. Before all that, plateau de crudites, with green lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, palm hearts, shrimps and smoked salmon, with a french salad dressing and a "russian" dressing. Apple-cranberry pie, blueberry pie, pumpkin pie... Home made french baguette and dinner rolls. Chateauneuf du Pape to drink...

• Mulan
    Mulan

We are pretty traditional. Turkey, stuffing, usually a combo of bread and cornbread with lots of waterchestnuts, home made cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, a veggie or two, sometimes candied yams. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream and usually Princess' pecan pies too. Princess' mother in law usually brings champagne. It's a feast.

The family is growing and I have a large house, but it has small rooms. I long for my grandma's old house, and her enormous dining table, that seated 25.

• LB
    LB

No legs on a ham, gotta have a leg.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I work at a Soup Kitchen and volunteers will be cooking 11 turkeys and stuffing and gravy, etc. for next Tuesday. Then on Friday, Faith Presbyterian will be doing the same (not sure how many turkeys). The Soup Kitchen is actually closed on Thanksgiving Day. Western Sizzler feeds anyone who goes there for lunch free on that day. They've been doing this wonderful service for the community for the last 3 or 4 years. So you know where I'm having my Thanksgiving meal.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I love both! But I think I might like to try a turkey this year in my newly married kitchen. Actually having the kitchen accessories to cook up and present a nice meal will make it so much fun this year!

I just heard about this awesome turkey recipe that I tried on a whole chicken the other night. Turned out yummy!

Pull back skin of bird and place herbs between skin and meat. Replace the skin over the herbs and sew with a few simple stitches of kitchen thread to hold the skin in place. Soak a large wad of cheesecloth in Kentucky bourbon or apple cider. Place into cavity of the bird. (I added an apple with my bourbon soaked cheesecloth. Soak another piece of cheesecloth in bourbon/apple cider and place over bird as a blanket, wrapped tightly. Marinate for 24 hours. Before baking rub olive oil on entirety of bird and salt and pepper to taste.

Like I said, I tried this with a simple chicken the other night to "practice" for Turkey Day and it turned out really wonderful! The bourbon and the apple gave it a really nice sweet flavor and it was BY FAR the moistest chicken I've ever had. Neil had the left overs for lunch today and said it tasted even better than when it was fresh out of the over.

Andi's poultry hint: When the bird is done being roasted, let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes without slicing it. When it cooks, all the juices boil up inside and cutting it runs the juices out. Letting it sit for a few minutes to cool re-settles the juices back into place. Thus you have a very moist bird on your hands! (The apple seems to help too!) I learned this after almost 4 years of a very dry turkey!

• troucul
    troucul

can I come over for thanksgiving, Celia??? wait a minute, I can't, I'll be in France!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit