Turkey!!!

by LuckyLucy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Celia
    Celia

Troucul = Sure, you could come for dinner ! But you'll have much better food in Normandy !

Billygoat = this sounds like it could be really good - I may try it, with Bourbon, of course.

Edited by - Celia on 6 November 2002 18:19:32

• larc
    larc

Here is something I have done with a chicken. Chop up an onion and some garlic and put inside the cavity. The flavors permeate the meat. Also, the chicken flavor gets mixed in with the onion and garlic. After the chicken is done, I mix the cooked onion and garlic in with the sour cream for the baked potatoes. For Thanksgiving, we found a good way to cook a turkey. We let our grocery store do it. They have industrial strength ovens that cook the turkey nice and evenly. When the kids come to visit, they are none the wiser, and just think that my wife did a terrific job.

• Mac
    Mac

I agree with Valis. I bought a turkey fryer last Thanksgiving and will never cook it any other way. It was the most succulent tasty bird I've ever had! Even the oft times dry white meat was tender and juicy.

mac, of the bird brain class

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

TURKEY!!!!!!! But not just on Thanksgiving

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I live with a turkey ever day of my life. hehehheh

SO all you women out there, that I am sure get sick of his women/ men jokes,,,,,,,,,lol. who you like me to stuff this bird?????????????

• mustang
    mustang

Made a Turkey, a Ham AND a Duck one year!!!! (Duck is a traditional Chinese thing, so we added it to Thanks-Turkey Day ). The secret to the duck prep is to have a deep dish tray with a GRATE to keep the duck about 2 inches off the bottom. They are really good if you can keep them from getting an "oil change"!!! I'm too "chicken" to try a Goose!!!

Mustang

Edited by - mustang on 7 November 2002 4:47:28

Edited by - mustang on 7 November 2002 4:48:55

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Heathen, soak your ham overnight in cold water, then simmer for two hours in a pot filled with one bottle of white wine, an onion stuck with two cloves, two bay leaves and water to cover (or at least up to the last inch of the ham). That will reduce the salty taste. Then glaze and bake for 30 minutes until the top is delightfully crispy. Yum! The meat practically falls off. I recommend a butt end because there's less bone and more meat; besides, I love asking the meat manager to go in the back and bring me a really big butt.

As for turkey, we are going to try to smoke one this year! Mmmm, I love Thanksgiving! We do the works: stuffing (usually my bread stuffing and my friend's cornbread stuffing), mashed potatoes and gravy, corn (the kids aren't big on any other veggie), roasted parsnips (my favorite), and pumpkin pies (have to make two because the 6-year-old will eat one quarter of one pie all by himself). I want to try chestnuts this year - Williams-Sonoma has a great-looking recipe for a creamy chestnut soup that I may experiment with.

Nina

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is a photo of last year's turkey. It was 46 pounds, and fills the oven, as you can see. It was home grown, by Princess' father in law. It was moist and tender. Slow cooking is what does it, but you have to know how, or you can get bad food poisoning.

One of my aunts made a smoked turkey one year for Thanksgiving. It tastes like ham to me. For Thanksgiving, I want it to taste like turkey. Smoked turkey is okay for other times.

Edited by - mulan on 7 November 2002 11:5:23

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Mulan,

I remember that picture from last year..........what's it gonna be a 52lb'er this year?

Ok I give, what's the secret to 'slow cooking' the bird?

I always opt for the Reynold's cooking bag. It takes about 3hrs and it always seems to come out moist. But I like the idea of turkey aroma wafting around all day. Come on Mulan what's the secret?

Galloping BearAss Chef.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

That's right! Mulan's gargantuan turkey! LOL!

What is the most fun about this board, for me, is reading about XJWs first experience with the holidays. I always get such a kick out of the joy some people experience.

I remember how my Dad used to go on and on about how commericialized the holidays were/are, but I believe it's a choice how much people want to buy into that. For me, it's always been about just being with family and friends and reconnecting with how much we mean to each other.

Oh, and opening presents!

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit