Will Child Abuse Issue Keep Growing Like A Forest Fire?

by OnTheWayOut 50 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

It is so so simple.

If it is brought to the elders attention, they tell them to TAKE IT TO THE POLICE,

that the elders DO NOT investigate matters that are beyond their qualifications.

Any other plan by the WT is a continuation of their policy of hiding potential abusers.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed
    Any elder seeing this and still wants that position of "privilege" is an idiot.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Finishing page 2 replies:

truthseeker100, I love the idea of a pedophile section at the assembly. Could we put cardboard cutouts of the Caleb-and-Sophia Boogeyman child abuser at the entrance to that section?

You or I will never live long enough to see that. -[the Governing Body apologizing]
    That is correct. 1975 is a prime example, or the generation, or...... I could go on and on. When the Pope apologized, it was cleared by lawyers and forced, but at least it finally came out and it seemed genuine enough that I was convinced that the hierarchy actually saw that they made a mistake. Barbara Anderson was invited to speak with the Roman Catholic Church because they wanted to compare notes and do better about their problem.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Like I keep saying, link, "Like", and hashtag the shit out of it.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Page 3 replies:

TheWonderofYou, thanks for making this thread vibrant.

D.O.C., I suppose that's what I am asking: Is there going to be a firestorm or will it stir up a candle fire and then go out. It's just that a G.B. public reaction seems to change that. It seems to make me feel that a firestorm might be coming. You are probably right. I just don't know.

d4g, what you say is true. I just don't know that it will ever penetrate too far into the rank and file. There's still a Roman Catholic Church, but it was much bigger to begin with, and by percentage the problems are bigger for JW's. So maybe it will be a tipping point, or part of a tipping point.

Mad Sweeney, again- yes. I don't want to miss the point that any good for victims and any bad for recruitment is a win. I just wonder about more and thought I would post a thread about it, figuring others had thoughts.

MNIONC, Y'all hear that? That's the kind of input that makes us hope. Penn State. I already mentioned Bill Cosby, and you post another great example of a firestorm.

OrphanCrow, I like that gun you refer to.

Doubting Bro, I have always compared it to murder and murder accusations. They would be handled by the police. I am not amazed that you discussed it out in service, nor the response of individuals. Individuals want what is proper.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Mad Sweeney...

As far as I'm concerned, we are the exodus.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Page 4

Pistoff, it really is that simple. I would add that minors should not be recruiters (publishers) and if parents want to drag them out in recruiting, they stay with their family. And they should be careful there also.

Axelspeed, there will always be some who want the title, but I would resign were I to see that stuff.

Good idea, Vidiot. (Liking it)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I hope the WBT$ gets totally rinsed by this and looks disgusting in the eyes of the world.

However, the general public have very little interest in this crazy cult. The JWs have little interest or knowledge of the media coverage.

Damp squib comes to mind.

I just want the GB brought to account (death penalty please), and NO MORE VICTIMS!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Punk, I share your hope, and agree pn knowledge and interest..

• blondie
    blondie

Child abuse has been around for years, long before there was a WTS or Russell was born.

Thankfully, other brave non-jw people have led the way to dealing with this legally, bringing it out in the open, brave enough to battle the religion of their family or choice.

I am grateful for the precedents they have created legally, here in the US and many other countries. SNAP has been doing it since 1982 and in the news especially since 2002.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/

Their annual conference is in Washington DC this weekend.

There is one support group for jw and ex-jw headed up by Kathleen Conti; but could there be more?

http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_locations

I was abused by my then non-jw father and not protected by my jw mother; he went on to become a jw and continued abusing me and my siblings.

Finally in 1982 and 1983 the WTS finally addressed the issue in its publications. At the same time my father kicked out my sister, the youngest at 17. She came to live with me and I found out that the abuse had continued. You see, we never discussed it with our other siblings thinking we were the only one molested.

Me and my oldest brother had not done more thinking that we were the only one. We found out that all of us had been, that our mothers knew and did nothing not wanting to lose their financial situation. Then we found out that 2 elders knew and had done nothing.

We talked to the CO because the elders in that congregation (not mine) would not even meet with us. My father would not give me guardianship over my sister and taunted us. So I went to the DA and talked at length and said that I had to keep up the pressure and I could use his name.

After 6 weeks, the elders finally met with us. They said it was because my father had to be there. I told them my father did not need to be there because my complaint was with them, how 2 elders could know and nothing judicially happen. I told them that the CO was closely following what they would do (the CO said they had to meet with us). I guess 6 weeks was the idea of doing that. It was only after I mentioned the DA's office was involved that they finally met with us.

After ripping the elders a new one, telling to oldest one to sit down and shut up, and ask the elder chairing this meeting if he would let my father give his daughters breast exams for cancer because he had been a medic in the military 40 years before. In disgust he said never, but just before he had justified my father doing that to his own daughter.

The WTS sent out a brother from the service desk, Illingworth (no "s") to fix the problem on the elder body, as the 2 elders who knew were accusing each of being responsible because they knew first!

The BOE eventually privately reproved my father (he said later that he confessed to get it over with, that he lied, he never molested anyone), treated my sister as if she were dirt. One elder was removed, the PO, but not the 2 who knew and did nothing.

My father switched to another congregation who knew he was a pedophile and felt unwelcome so moved to another state (no warning letter was sent to that congregation). So he was on the loose, a man who said he did nothing, and not identified by the previous congregation (not the congregation he was reproved in).

I found out that a family member who was an elder counseled my father to lie to the JC. My father came back for a visit and admitted to all us kids that he had gotten away with it and he had been helped by a family member. That family member would not even talk about it with us. His wife in the beginning had said that my sister (age 9) had seduced my father.

------------------So why are things opening up for vicitms of the WTS....because other people have laid the foundation legally to do so, campaigned to change the laws, donated money and time and heart pain to do so and continue to do so. I thank SNAP and all the people that have worked for all of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit