Jobs that the WTS doesn't approve of

by freedom96 34 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Working for tobacco companies is out. Just ask brothers who worked for Phillip-Morris and R J Reynolds for years and then in the 70s they had to give up those careers. I know some that never recovered. The tobacco companies paid well back in their day. Most of the brothers were factory workers who were making good money, but when they quit they were unexperienced or uneducated enough that they could never find a job that paid equally well.

I remember one brother was hired as an independant contractor to clear the land for a new tobacco plant. That was OK though. The elders were invited to go out to get free firewood off the land that would soon be producing cigarettes.

• butalbee
    butalbee

What about "crack whore"?
    Gumby--that just 'cracks' me up.....

• justhuman
    justhuman

The reason that the wachtower does not want any witnesses to have good payed jobs it is because they need their followers to be in the same level and status, so they can control them easily. They don't like to have different social status in their organization, and that is why most of the witness are not educated.(they only finish High School, and have jobs like cleaners)

I remember when I had to appear in the National TV station of my country with one song of mine, Ielders visitng me telling me to quit music and that I must stop seeking my own fame.(although I don't like fame and been a star, I like to perform my music because with music I believe I give something to people.

I was stupid enough to believe them 10 years ago, and I gave up my music. It is something that I will never overcome...

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Re: Jobs that the WTS doesn't approve of

Anything aside of placing W & A

• larc
    larc

I had to meet with the circuit overseer regarding a job I had. I worked for an aerospace firm, and he thought it was wrong since the company had defense contracts. I pointed that I was involved in research associated with an automobile simulator that was sold to the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, and that I was not involved in defense work. He didn't like my answer, but he did not pursue the matter. With a wife and three small children, I was not about to quit that job.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Larc

he was probably jealous he didn't have a job there. the twit

• jack2
    jack2

Link, in that case, "most people" were certainly right. That's certainly a case of a "suggestion" gone bust.

• Mum
    Mum

I knew a brother who was a musician, but he didn't play professionally "because of the truth." Then we get Michael Jackson, et al!

I thought professional sports would be out as well because high school sports certainly were. Then we get the Williams sisters!

As a JW female, choices were even more limited. The only respectable occupations were probably pioneering and/or being a full-time unpaid housekeeper/prostitute for one man.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Jobs that WTS doesn't approve of? hmmmm, er, how bout BLOW

• joenobody
    joenobody

There was a local elder that was a police officer - he's retired now. Upon retirement he was one of 4 Deputies of a large city. Never carried a gun - nobody complained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit