Jobs that the WTS doesn't approve of

by freedom96 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If you OWN a business, YOU are responsible for everything that happens. If you own a security company and the local church wants you to work there, you're not supposed to go. If you work for a security company and they tell you to do work in the local church, it becomes a conscience matter. I know of an elder and wife that own a convenience store which sells tobacco and lottery tickets. They put the "ownership" under their "unbelieving" father. That way they can sell anything and on paper, it's not their responsibility!

• Dia
    Dia

Just a minute. This doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it.

The WTS is a bunch of money grubbing control freaks.

WHY would they not want people to earn as much as possible so they could take more?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Dia I think the difference lies in the distiction between a job and a career. People tend to be more invested in careers. They sacrifice a wide variety of things for careers. A job is well... just a job often without emotional investment. I think the restrictions have more to do with the amount of emotional involvement a person gets from their job. Someone who's job might take them away from the preaching work would be a no-no. But ANY job that allows someone plenty of time for service would be acceptable

Carreers like nursing often have shift work making meeting attendance erratic. Running a store would mean closing it to get to meetings and out in service. The amount of money wouldn't really matter - the focus has always been on meeting attendance and service - something to do with being "whole-souled" - hard with most career choices.

Plus for many careers there is the years of training again taking one away from being "whole-souled"

I really really wanted to be a counselor - a no-no - would not be needed in the new system and why would I want to be caring for their emotional needs when I should have been focused on their spiritual needs?

• Dia
    Dia

So money isn't their primary pursuit.

It's power.

Or, maybe, the freedom to run their little pedophilic empire.

• roybatty
    roybatty

What about "crack whore"?

• mommy1
    mommy1

When I was a teenager I worked in a grocery store with a sister who was counciled because she was promoted to front desk service cashier ( cigarette counter). Cigarettes were just one thing sold at the service counter. Mainly at that time it was for check cashing and returns,stamps. One day an Elder had come into the store and saw her selling cigs. He told her " I hope your conscience is clean about selling tobacco." I felt bad for her at the time because she was so upset. She got another job a couple of months later cleaning. Over twenty years and I still think of it when I go to that store.

• Sirona
    Sirona

One of the reasons I didn't become a primary school teacher is that I wouldn't be able to participate in religious assemblies or help with seasonal plays/festivals. I'd also not be able to make mothers day things with the kids or halloween things. blah blah blah.

Anything related to military or religion is OUT. As is anything that takes up a fair bit of time.

I know ex witnesses who are ONLY JUST sorting out their careers at 40 and to be quite honest it makes me SICK.

Sirona

• gumby
    gumby

What about "crack whore"?

RoyB,

You can be a crack whore, but unless you wear protection....you can never handle the microphones.

• link
    link

There was a Brother in our congregation who was told he had to give up a high powered job with Boeing (sp) Aircraft Company before he could get baptised.

He did so and then went into a partnership business with a friend and they did very well for years.

One day the elders called him in and "suggested" he might like to get rid of his partner because he was worldly and take a Brother as a partner instead. Within twelve months the business went bust leaving the original Brother with the majority of the debt.

Most people said that he was stupid for listening to the Elders.

link

• hurt
    hurt

There was a brother, elder, in our hall who was (and still is) a policeman. He gives talks int e congregation but never at an assembly. He's been policeman and elder for decades.

A couple years ago, there was this brother who had a Phd and was to take up some research appointment with the UN. It raised dust. Everyone talked about it, like how it was appropriate or not and how it would stumble people. Poor professor brother didn't take up the appointment. If he only knew was sleeping with the image of the beast. He still doesn't know, I guess. May be I should send him a package.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit