I can fool everybody with my religion!

by mensa163 24 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Welcome Mensa - Bell,

You shouldn't be so modest about your score placement. Actually, your scores in the low 140's places you nearly three standard deviations above the mean, or in the top one half of one per cent of the population. Since it is impossible to obatain such a score on the most widely used IQ test, the Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale, you probably took the Miller's Analogies Test that was used years ago by Terman to conduct a longitudinal study of the intellectually gifted.

It has been my experience over the years that most people in the U.S. culture do not respect either IQ or advanced degrees. Sometimes you have to keep a low profile for awhile and prove that you are a nice guy before you can spring the news on them without engendering resentment. Of course, there are exemptions, e.g., R&D labs and colleges.

Perfectpie,

Yes, he had a splinter in his eye and I had a timber in mine. That's why I went into the lumber business. I have a steady supply of timbers. -:)

Larc (of the Paul Bunyan class)

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Mensa/Bell,

Regardless of your screen name, welcome to the forum.

You're a rather usual person. At the risk of alienating a few people (yeah, like that's ever stopped me before), I haven't run across a lot of Bible-believin' Christians with genius-level IQs. I think the threshold for genius level is somewhere around 130, but I'm not sure, which would make 160+ pretty darned impressive. I look forward to hearing your views.

*Sunchild, token Pagan.

---------
    "Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• Sunchild
    Sunchild
    It has been my experience over the years that most people in the U.S. culture do not respect either IQ or advanced degrees. Sometimes you have to keep a low profile for awhile and prove that you are a nice guy before you can spring the news on them without engendering resentment.

That's been my experience, too... which is why, 99% of the time, I just let people draw their own conclusions about me without telling them where I may or may not fit in on the brain scale. I sometimes make exceptions, though.

*Rochelle, making idle conversation to just shake her "Newbie" status.

---------
    "Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• mensa163
    mensa163

Hey Larc & everybody
    I tried to change my user-name and was unable so I am stuck with it at least for a while. You were right Larc, I should have posted the original on a different category. I am finding my way around here and i posted a hum-dinger under i think doctrines and beliefs. I took a run at trying to define an un-believer "yikes". Take a look and tear it apart for me. I remain mensa163 wishing I was bell47 ha!!!!

• larc
    larc

Hey mensa bell,

Don't be worried about it. You seem to be a regular guy. Anybody that uses the word "yikes" can't be all bad.

Since you are a helecopter enthusiast, I have a question for you. Although the first airplane flight was in 1903, it wasn't until 40 years later that the first helecopter flight occured. Am I correct on my numbers? Question for you: where was the airplane invented?

• mensa163
    mensa163

Larc
    The Wright Bros. get credit for first flight at Kitty Hawk
    The helicopter was attempted in various crude ways back to 1913 (Jens Ellehammer in Denmark). Igor Sikorsky was the first American to fly one with decent control and the army bought a few around 1943. The Bell Helicopter was actually developed by Arthur Young in a barn on the family farm. He commissioned a neighbour boy to mass-produce rotor blades while he tested and destroyed many models until he came up with a stable design.
    --Did you know if you hooked onto the rotorblades of a helicopter and tried to lift it with a crane, the blades would bend and break and are unable to support the weight of the machine. (It is when they are spinning, the centrifugal force keeps the blades rigid enough to support the weight.)
    --Did you know that the helicopter is composed of highly engineered , highly stressed parts, all moving at high speed in order to be able to sit in one spot and do nothing (hover)
    You probably didnt want to know all that mechanical stuff.....but I couldnt resist
    ......another one.....some people claim that the only reason a helicopter can fly is because it is so ugly the ground repels it ha!!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Say Mens, this intro sounds like you might be the Greater Cassius Clay (aka Mohammad Ali).

Aren't you the lucky one!

Sorry, old son, but it doesn't quite gel with all the pain that other posters have had before getting here.

BTW Christ came to save sinners. How come you know Him?

Ozzie

• hippikon
    hippikon

Hi Menstra Wellcome abroard.

Just remember Jesus dont like smat people He likes the Dumb Ones. Thats Why Im Bumb. Matt 11:25

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Welcome to the board Arnie!!! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    TW

• larc
    larc

Mensa,

No, I did not know all that about the helecopter, but I think I was right on the date in the 1940's in this country, based on what you wrote.

Regarding the Wright brothers, I didn't ask where they flew it. I asked where they invented it. By the way, they first thought of flying it in Chicago, the windy city, but there were too many obstructions.

Did you know that the Wright brothers never went to college although their sister did? Also, neither one of them got married. When their sister did, they "disfellowshipped" her for a year for deserting their cause.

In high school, the Wright brothers started a neighborhood newspaper. In one issue they wrote that everyone should buy their paper unless they couldn't read or unless they were too poor to afford it.

The French were into flight and thought that the Wright brothers were two American hayseeds that didn't know what they were doing. Wilbur went to France for an air show. The French pilot made it half way around an air field. Wilbur made three circles around the field. All of a sudden, he was a hero. At the same time, Orville was in Washington D.C. demonstrating the airplane to the government. Unfortunately, there was a crack in the propellar blade, and it came apart and Orville crashed and almost died.

The Wright brother's mansion is one mile from my house. You can not find it in a travel guide and there are no signs out front and no tours. You couldn't find it unless you came to my town and asked for directions. The Wright brothers were very private people and so are we. Also, where I live, they don't need the revenue from crass commercial enterprises. We don't want any neon signs and popcorn stands in the hood.

Now, if you know where the airplane was invented then tell me. If you don't know, then don't cheat and look it up in a book.

Let me give you a hint. This city is also the birthplace of Martin Sheen, Erma Bomback, and Jonathan Winters. Also, Charles Franklin Kettering and Phil Donahue worked here. Erma Bomback's father and Martin Sheen's father were both factory workers for the same company. Erma went to college, Martin did not. In fact, Martin Sheen purposely flunked the college entrance exam so his father wouldn't waste his money on a college education. Now, he comes back to the local college every couple years and gives a free workshop to the theater majors.

I hope you enjoyed my rambling foray into history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit