Two witness rule IS A MAJOR PROBLEM

by LFitzwater 41 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The 2-Witness Rule is a problem also because the Watchtower is BLAMING THE BIBLE as the reason why they cannot take any action against a molester until there are 2 witnesses.

• LFitzwater
    LFitzwater

Welcome Bruce! I want to thank you for coming here and admitting and apoligizing for your small part in enforcing WTS policy. That is what most of us have wanted from the begining. If all the elders would do the same as you we would not have taken this issue to the level it is at now. If the WTS would have stood up and had the guts you do to admit they were wrong and apoligize and REALLY changed they would have saved themselves a lot of trouble and us a lot of EXTRA heartache. I really do appriciate that you have realized that to do as they directed was wrong. I hope that this trend continues as the truely good elders (and I do believe there are good, but misled elders) out there start to realize what is going on. Thanks again for stepping forward and standing up for what is right.

Also, someone asked if I could post that letter from the WTS regarding 2 witnesses. I do not have a scanner, but I think I sent a copy to Bill Bowen. He may be able to post it. I think it was posted somewhere at one time.??? I will work on that.

I also found out that I was misinformed on my father-in-laws release date. I heard Dan Fitzwater was to be released in Feb, but that is just when he is up for parole. His actual release date is set for August 2004. I don't believe he will make parole because he has to admit to what he did and apoligize as a condition of parole. He was already passed up once because he would not admit to doing anything wrong. So at least it is further than I thought. I was having real issues because I thought he was getting out in Feb. It brought out a lot of horrible feelings that I just am not ready to face. I wish he was there for life!

Laurie

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Courtesy of silentlambs.org :

The following is a Letter written from the Watchtower Service Department regarding the molestation of the step-daughter of Daniel Fitzwater. In the Dateline Program Daniel Fitzwater was shown by correspondence from a Circuit Overseer to have molested 17 JW Children who unfortunately did not have two eye-witnesses for each incident.

Thus Brother Fitzwater went to prision and remains in prision as a JW in "good standing".

WATCHTOWER
    BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.
    COLUMBIA HEIGHTS. BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11201-2483, U.S.A.
    PHONE (718) 625-3600
    SDS:SSP September 25, 1999

Dear Brother,

Please accept our apologies for the unusually long delay in responding to your letter dated May 7, 1999, in which you inquire about the situation involving your father, Daniel Fitzwater. We have given consideration to your questions and are pleased to make the following observations.

We are pleased to note your statement that you believe in Jehovah. Your concern with how he views us, which you expressed, is most appropriate. In some situations humans are not able to establish a matter with accuracy, but we know that Jehovah sees all, We are given this assurance at Hebrews 4:13 where it says., "And there is not a creation that is not manifest to his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting." This accounting with God is something that all of us, including your father, will have to make.

As we are sure you realize, because of the need for maintaining confidentiality on matters of this nature, we cannot comment on the details of any specific case, including your father's. However, we are pleased to try to address some of your questions that deal with the general procedures in handling cases in which an individual is accused of wrongdoing. First, let us assure you that you are in error on the point you made in the third paragraph of your letter. The Society does feel that your concerns are important to us, and we have given very careful attention to what you have written.

We noted in the penultimate paragraph of your letter you say-, "The fact that I personally know of none of the allegations first hand does not diminish the fact that in my opinion, I believe my father molested my stepsister Dawn." We certainly appreciate that your belief in this matter is sincere and very strong. Nevertheless, in following Scriptural procedures, the congregation can only take judicial action on the eyewitness evidence of two or more individuals, or confession. So, while we may have some strong convictions on a certain situation, without this Scriptural evidence the elders are not able to take judicial action. This in no way implies that they do not believe the one bringing them the information, but as you said in your letter it is how Jehovah sees things that is important. Since this is God's direction to those examining cases of wrongdoing, the elders must abide by the Scriptures. -Deuteronomy 17:6; 19:15; 1 Timothy 5:19.

Some matters are firmly established by sufficient evidence or by confession, or both. However, what is the situation when an individual in these cases appears to the elders handling matters to be demonstrating heartfelt repentance? In that case the elders would reprove such a man, as Titus said "with severity". (Titus 1:13) The decision to reprove or disfellowship, the individual is left in the hands of the elders of each congregation. It is up to them to weigh all the accusations, and all claims of repentance. In the case of Titus, you will notice the reason that the apostle Paul left him in Crete: "That you might make appointments of older men in city after city, as I gave you orders." (Titus 1:5) These older men had a responsibility to handle matters in the congregation, in the same way as the "older men" in ancient Israel would have cared for matters of this nature.

So, Brother Fitzwater, while we realize that we are dealing with imperfect men, we can have confidence that Jehovah is watching all things. If by cunning or pretense someone is able to fool men, even men appointed in the congregation, they could not fool Jehovah. In the final analysis it is to him that we all have an accounting. As the apostle Paul said at Romans 14: 1012: "We will all stand before the judgment seat of God."

As you pray for strength from Jehovah to endure in this very trying "time of the end", please act in harmony with your prayers. Do not neglect your spiritual health by missing meetings, or neglecting your personal study and Bible reading. Be assured that all of us are deeply concerned for your spiritual well-being, and more importantly that Jehovah cares for you.

With this letter, please accept a warm expression of Christian love and best wishes.

Your brothers,

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society
    OF NEW YORK INC.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Actually the 2-witness rule really isn't the problem at all after rethinking it, it goes back to the responsibility of notifying the proper authorities regarding allegations of abuse.

It isn't up to the elders to prosecute child molesters. This isn't just an act of immorality but a serious crime. The 2-witness rule or confession is used when punishing someone "inside" the congregation.

The problem seems to consistently be the treatment of those who have gone to authorities and pressed charges against their abuser.

If the society did not hurt those who prosecute there abusers then there would be no problem.

I'm curious about how the congregations are treating the victims of Fitzwater? Since he is still in good standing.

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

plmkrzy,

You said what I wanted to so much better.

I apologize for going on a bit of a rant earlier, but I get my hackles up when somone insinuates that unless others agree with their viewpont they must be of a lesser intelligence. I had enough of of that from my JW relatives.

SLOAN

It was not your opinion that caused my reaction, but the way in which it was stated. You sated your opinion, and challenged the intelligence of anyone that did not agree ... bad form. Thank you for your clarification and retraction.

As I said plmkrzy made my point much more eliquenly that I could have, and that is that crimes such as rape, molestation, murder and others of such magnitude are a matter for the police to sort out NOT the congregation or untrained befuddled elders who's only concerns seem to be to keep the IMAGE of the organization clean, not the organization itself.

Anton

Edited by - coolbreeze on 11 November 2002 1:56:1

• LFitzwater
    LFitzwater

In response to PLMKRZY, they have shunned the victims of Dan Fitzwater for coming forward and speaking out. They have not been "officially" DFed, but they are treated as such by the congergation.

When the first victim, Dan's step-daughter came forward (for the 2nd time) she was not a member of the congergation. She was removed from the home by social services because of the abuse when she was 15 (the first time she came forward) and she never became a baptized JW. They treated her as if her word meant nothing because she was "worldly". They simply did not believe her. When others in that hall came forward that were not active members because they could not stand to attend meetings where their abuser was the congergation overseer and 1 of only 2 or 3 elders, they were dis-counted as well. Becasue they were ignored, a little girl in the hall was abused. That family was active and in good standing at the time of the abuse. Because the child tried to kill herself 2 years after the abuse had occured, it was brought to the attention of the authorities. The family was treated very badly within the congergation and they did not believe her either. The Elders said that this was a "disturbed" little girl. I guess that was their excuse to not believe her. OF COURSE SHE WAS DISTURBED!!! AN ELDER HAD MOLESTED HER! The family has since been shunned as well and went on to sue the WTS. They ended up settling out of court.

I stepped forward to try to get something done to Dan in the congergation and was questioning why things were being handled as they were (I was in another congergation in FL at the time) and I was DFed for "apostacy" because I was questioning Jehovah's org and I was a danger to the congergation.

Strange how they saw me as a danger and did not see Dan that way!

Laurie

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    The Elders said that this was a "disturbed" little girl.

It hurts just to read that. I'm sorry to say it is totally believable. Been there before. I wouldn't be at all surpprised if they went even further and accused her of being demonized. My brother and I were demonized once upon a time

I noticed they settled out of court. As difficult as it must have been I wish cases like this would not settle out of court. It's just another form of buying silence. There is no "REAL" admission of guilt. But regardless I hope they got some sense of restitution.

plum

• Mulan
    Mulan

I must agree with plmkrzy. The two witness rule is a problem for sure, but the main problem is that the people, must go to the police first. And the elders should be made to admit that they are not qualified to handle these crimes, and THEY should report the allegation to the police too.

I still would like to know how to go about helping to get all the States to drop the statute of limitations on molestation crime.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

EXACTLY they should go to the police!!!!! The 2 wit policy prevents that!

Ven

• Mulan
    Mulan

Not if they go to the police first, and then to the elders.

Actually I have talked to a few active JW's in the past month or two. They all think I am off my rocker for thinking this is a congregational issue. They all said they would go to the police first and THEN go to the elders. It must just be our area, but I thought it was interesting. Not everyone runs to the elders like we did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit