Do you think its talking down to you?

by WildTurkey 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

For me the way I react is all in the manner in which they ask it. Are they being sincere wondering why I ever was a JW , why did I stay so long?

Or are they being self righteous? I know some who condemn JW's but their religion is just as stupid. Plain and simple , ignorant rules they follow that some man tells them to do, things also not in the bible. That gets on my nerves when someone can't see their own religions petty rules , but can see the JW's. I always turn it around and say ,,,,, You know JW's and your religion really have alot in common. I try not to be ugly about it but you know us ex JW's we have the fine art of "reasoning".lol to make our point.

In fact a friend of my son's mom and I were talking about the JW's and the her church and she was so fed up with her church. The comparisons on the rules and other little dictations of ther church, made her see how sick and unhappy she is there. I found out , she just changed her church.....lol. she is a pentocost apostate now......LOL........ she is still pentocost but just another church, which I hear is frowned upon, leaving your church to go to another. She is really a great person, and I am glad she is happy.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: When talking to someone who never was a Jw, and they say to you how could you ever fall for all that?

I guess people can take that question anyway they want to take it. I consider that question from the point of view of the asker, and in that context it's not at all condescending. When people hear aabout JW life they are (rightly) shocked and that question would naturally arise out of such shock. It mean after all, WatchtowerIsm IS sheer insanity!

Those of us who dubs had no idea had had "fallen" for all that. We were so stuck in it and controlled by it we were pretty clueless about how idiotic and nonsensical it really was.

Farkel

• wednesday
    wednesday

recently i have been talking to a friend about jw. he is jewish. so he feels i'm being whiinny b/c the jews are a miniorty group too. He explains how he had to learn to live with being different. And how he formed his own traditions etc. He also says there are many groups that say they have the truth, ie, southern baptist he said will condem u to hell for not believing like they do.So why are jw so special? So if u dont' like it-why don't people just leave? I have to admit, i have grown up with some chruch of christ and assembly of God neighbors, and they tend to keep to themselfs and are odd.I imagine it must be hard to leave that church too.

I'm finding it hard to help him see how hard it is just ot leave-esp when he brings up the jewish thing. any thoughts?

Edited by - wednesday on 3 November 2002 15:54:28

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Wednesday, some people can never understand the ramifications of being a JW, no matter how hard you try. Ask him if he decided to no longer be Jewish, would his entire family just write him off as dead and have nothing to do with him or his children. If he answers no, tell him that is what happens to a JW. But, don't be surprised if he still doesn't understand. Most people who were never JWs just cannot fathom any religion that harsh or controlling.

Lew W

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Unless the person asking the question is truly being condescending, there is no need to get defensive. I think from an outsider's point of view, the entire unhappy lifestyle is so mind boggling, they simply can't understand what the attraction is in the first place, & what causes people to swallow it.

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

I do believe that some who say how could you ever fall for all that really want to know how a person could get involved with a religion like Jws. But I think some who say it, think that they would never fall for such a thing. And rather its the truth are not I think its condescending.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit