Do you think its talking down to you?

by WildTurkey 25 Replies latest jw friends

• link
    link

Im another "never been" although I had Bible Studies lasting many years due to my moving around. All my family are "in".

Can I just say that I do not think everyone is unable to see what the attraction of the dubs could be and how strong it would be for some people in certain situations. I am talking from experience when I say that I can clearly see it.

What stopped me personally from "going all the way"? Easy! It was the information available on the Internet. By this I dont mean sites like this, I mean the ability to look up the historical background of the organisation and to check its teachings.

Many, many people (my family for example) did not have this facility available to them so it was very easy to convince them that what was being taught was the "truth".

Yes, they were also vulnerable and were looking for it but the main reason they accepted it was that they had no way of checking things.There is no way that they were all stupid and I don't think that way of anyone who is a dub or even an ex-dub.

link

• Francois
    Francois

I respond to this nonsense by saying, "My parents arranged for me to be born into that craziness. Why don't you ask them?"

francois

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Great comeback Francois!

• shera
    shera

Yeh,don't talk the walk until you walked it.

I think at times people fall for stuff like that,when they are at a weak moment.I was searching for God and was longing for a loving fellowship.I thought I found it.....

If a person doesnot know the bible,like I didnot.The WTS does make sense,and we just happened to fall for it.Oh well,were out and getting our lives back.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Even though it sounds insensitive, I don't frown at the question, mainly because I ask myself the very same question all the time. Once you're out and see things in hindsight it is a question that many ask. Even now when talking to one's still in I want to ask "how can you fall for this, open your eyes", but when you don't know, you don't know. And most of us have been there.

Since I was raised in it, I used to always ask persons "what attracted you to the 'Truth'." I wanted to know what was the appeal for them, because I wondered if I would have taken that path and been attracted to the message had I not been raised in it. I think that even at that time, when I was a True Believer, I couldn't really see what it was that was so wonderful to make a person make that kind of change to become one of us. (I did notice though that it usually attracted persons at a critical time) To justify this in my own mind I just assumed that because everyone else thought it was great, it must somehow be. And since everyone said how happy they were, I assumed they were, and so I must be also, even if... you get the point.

To answer your question, no. I can see how it can be taken that way, but I don't. It's just one of those things "you just had to be there" sort of things. Sort of like telling a joke that is funny at the time and in the context of the moment, but is not funny, in fact it is silly, and you wonder how you ever thought it was funny. Until you remember the context of the moment.

• Lin
    Lin

Way off topic, just wanted to say hello to wildturkey, a fellow fan of Rascall Flatts! Great song, eh?

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Howdy Lin. Yeah i really like the song moving on

• Beans
    Beans

I don`t think you can blame someone who says that to you, for them it is easy to say that as they have lived with an open mind all there life and have been very much in control of personal thought. These people are very skeptical in there thinking and can only see our situation one way and that is how they express there thought, and don`t mean to offend but do to some inadvertently.

Beans

Canadian District Overbeer

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

I too think it can be condescending. I however do not take great offense to it because I was 13 when I became a JW and what did I know other than I should do what my parents say. When I was 18 I left, so I guess that is where I stand. But I can see how it could be upsetting...

• songmistress
    songmistress

I don't find the question condescending. I think it is fueled by disbelief that someone would actually choose such an existence. I actually enjoy seeing the shocked look on people faces when I tell them I was a JW. And many times I will be welcomed back to the "real world".

I heard someone, it may have been Dr. Joyce Brothers or Dr. Joy Browne, or someone else like that, (hey what can I say, in my fight with depression, my memory has suffered terribly, or I am having a senior moment lol) say that by and large, those who get caught by cultish organizations are intelligent people. So I figure it shows I am intelligent, although why in my intelligence would I have acted so foolishly, I have yet to figure out.

I was 18 years old married, and had one child when I got involved. I was unhappy and lonely and looking for community. I figure it gave me a unique perspective on life. And I was smart enough to get out.

Good question Wild Turkey.

Blessings

Cheryl

Edited by - songmistress on 3 November 2002 14:11:54

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit