Do You Ever Miss It?

by pettygrudger 26 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I was in a hormonal state the last couple of days, feeling a little melancholy.....sometimes when I feel like this, I miss being a JW. Don't get me wrong, I have not intention of ever going back. I've come to realize what I miss is the naivety, the black & white thinking, allowing the organization to pretty much guide my every thought. Also, the feeling of being "special"/"chosen" - knowing I know something & have a reward coming that most do not. Weird.

Its almost like realizing for the 1st time that you're an adult, its kinda scary. Your thoughts are your own, your road is your own, your choices are your own. I've been out almost 16 years now, and have 2 beautiful children of my own. Even so, once in awhile I miss it. Almost like longing to be a child again, yet realizing that I can't "go back".

Do you ever feel this way?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I miss some times as a kid, but not the meetings. I think it is easy to associate good times with what was going on in our lives at the time.

Just part of the process of growing and getting older.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I miss it....as much as I miss being hit on the head with hammer

Brum

• Robdar
    Robdar

Petty Grudger,

Yes, I feel that way. I miss the utopian dream that maybe one day God would make the world a better place. I also miss my innocence.

I don't miss the JWs but I do miss the dream and the love I thought that I shared with such happy people.

Love,

Robyn

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

I miss the hugs and handshakes. I miss the smiles of my friends. I miss the children. I miss the older friends. I miss the after meeting lunches. I miss the volunteering. I miss the sweet friendships of some who were true to God and loved their brother. I miss the assemblies. I miss everything but.......the control and the gross lack of love shown by many of the Watchtower leaders.

I left my whole way of life because of the lack of love for God and neighbor shown by the GB. My family and I have been in a limbo ever since.

IW

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Brummie - do ya think a hit on the head w/a hammer would cure what ails me?!

((IW)) - wow, a lot of loss for you too huh? I miss my friends that I had, I still think of them often. I miss the illusion of the close "special" relationship I had with my mother, contingent of course my being in the "truth", as well as my siblings whom I've never really known, as I left home when they were still too young to develop a relationship with, so will never have. I also miss the lunches after the sunday meeting, before field service. I miss the "excitement" of going to the assemblies as well. I'm sorry for the limbo state you find yourself in with your family - its disgusting to see what an organization built on supposed "love" can do to the family structure, which pretty much proves why we can't go back doesn't it?

IW & Robdar - It was a wonderful dream.......for awhile wasn't it?

• jws
    jws

Oddly enough, I miss the excitement of leading a double-life. Of flirting with trouble, while still being an upstanding JW. It was like being a spy. Continually being aware of who knew what, what your exposure was, getting your stories straight, and seeing what you could get away with. The duality was lots of fun. It was like a role-playing game.

Somehow, now that I have the freedom to choose, it's not as fun. Celebrating your birthday when you can just doesn't have the same excitement.

• Xander
    Xander

Celebrating your birthday when you can just doesn't have the same excitement.

LOLOL!

Oh, yeah, I'm a rebel now...I sneaking off to see an R-RATED MOV....oh, wait, nevermind...

Uhhh....BUFFY!! Yeah, I'm gonna watch a TV show with lesbians, and, and witches, and demons, and.....oh, damn....

OH! Alternative music!! YES!! That's the ticket...nice and loud, and, and...anti religious, and....CRAP...

Uhhhhhh.....

Hmmm.

Well, I guess I'll just have to be all normal and stuff

• Valis
    Valis
    I miss the volunteering.

You mean cleaning the kingdom hall? eh...lots of fun there. At least now that you aren't a JW a whole new world of REAL volunteer opportunities presnts itself.

I don't miss any of it and see a JW me being a terribly boring and uneducated person...not today thanks very much..*L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Xena
    Xena

sometimes I do........I wouldn't, couldn't ever go back....but yea sometimes I miss it....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit