Dr Phil...on Spanking children!

by Golden Girl 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

I think spanking is beneficial, but like all things loses its affect if used too often. Parenting involves many different creative forms of discipline sometimes including spanking, god knows I experienced them all. It is also beneficial to use positive reinforcement for good behavior whenever possible.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I wonder; of you folks who were spanked as children, did you find that in time you became less vulnerable to the pain? My mom used to use an extension cord as her weapon of choice - it was more whip like and could leave some nice marks on bare legs. Although I certainly did make an effort to conform to her dictates, as I got into my teens I began to realize that it didn't hurt that much any more.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT
    I've witnessed it many times with Princess' kids.

Phew sure glad you added the 'kids' on there!!!! hahhahha [:|]

Ven

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The worst thing is parents who constantly threaten to spank, but they always back off. If you tell your kid that if they do a certain something one more time you're gonna spank them, and then they do it, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD SPANK THEM! Parents who are always giving empty threats (i.e. never following through) to their kids in an attempt to gain compliance need to have a giant bucket of ice water dumped on them, IMO. My sister used to drive me up the wall with that nonsense. Now she has a son who is teetering on the edge of adolescence, and is he gonna be a handful as a teen. I'm not looking forward to it.

• nilfun
    nilfun

I wonder; of you folks who were spanked as children, did you find that in time you became less vulnerable to the pain?

No.

I've been hit with extension cords, wire hangers, belt buckles, silverware, (in other words, whatever was handy) and the last blow hurt just as much as the first.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Me too. Hangers, back end of butcher knives, electrical cords, etc. Whatever was handy. I only remember the spankings I didn't have coming. I tried hard to not spank my kids in anger. I'm sure I wasn't perfect, but I tried.

I was spanked out of anger and fear.............Mom would spank me if I disagreed with her and wouldn't let me cry. Even now, it's hard for me to not stifle tears............I don't cry easily. So when anyone sees me crying, they know I've gone off the edge.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I was spanked as a child, but as a last resort, and you'd better believe that if I pushed my parents to that point I probably deserved a hell of a lot more than I got, in a manner of speaking! I know I was excellent at not knowing when to shut my yapper because I have been blessed with a wonderful son who suffers from the same affliction!In all seriousness though, I think that it depends on the individual child. I have "spanked" my son only a few times in his life, and my version of a spank was a single swat to the diaper and that was it. Got his attention, but by no means hurt him at all. I always considered it to be reserved for extreme circumstances like if he was doing something that would endanger his life- like the time he got out of the house, into the car, started it and put it in drive. There is a HUGE difference between a spanking administered as a form of discipline, and the outright beatings that a lot of the people posting on this thread received.

I remember in our hall growing up that there was this elders family that always sat in the front of the hall, and whenever the youngest would not sit still the way they thought he should, the mother would make this big show of taking this inch think wooden paddle that was about 10 inches long out of her bag and drag her son down the aisle brandishing the paddle like she should be praised for "disciplining" her child. This made a big impression on me, and I was only 10 or so myself. I remember even at that age being disgusted by the whole show and telling myself that I would never ever do anything like that to my kids.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Caligirl..I.saw that too! The witnesses loved to hit their kids! With anything!.. I saw one that beat her kids with cords. I saw one that just slapped them constantly.

One little girl was always getting a spanking. With a paddle. Well she would come out crying from the bathroom ....and go bite a smaller child!..What did she learn?

Another one (An Elders son) was only 6 months old and they would tie him to the metal chairs we had. They would make him sit there the whole meeting. Sometimes he was allowed to lean over on his Mom and take a little nap. But if he complained or whimpered?..Off to the back for a spanking. Paddle in hand. Then they would come back and tie him in his chair and hold his mouth until he quit crying!

What role models for the rest of the congregation! And this was accepted behaviour!

Snoozy...Who has a lot to say on spanking!

ps...I'm still trying to figure out how hitting a kid can teach them not to run in the street in front of cars or that fire is hot and can burn?

I would think that precaution works best for small ones...and when they are older you can expain it to them!

Otherwise they might think if they stick their hand in fire they will only get a spanking. Or if they run in front of a car ..they will get a spanking..They still won't realize the true consequences!They can't really understand until they are older!

Edited by - Golden Girl on 30 October 2002 20:39:40

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit