Lyingeyes, Native American Indian

by Guest 77 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Danny, like you, I have an affinity for the Indians in the AZ region, specifically the Apaches. Have you been to the Tonto National Forest? It's like going back in time to holy ground. If you ever go there, I would like to take the trip again. hint hint

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I know there are alot of wonderful indian paintings but I am not really sure of the artist.

I am only starting to get involved in my "worldly" ancestors background. My dad of course never went to the Pow Wow's because of the spiritist things he thought went on there, like they were demon worshippers or something. I am awaiting more information of our family tree and more pictures. All of my dad's family are dark skinned, black hair , brown eyes, and damn we all are short. My grandmother and grandfather had 11 children, 10 lived. So from just those two people I was blessed to have over 35 cousins, plus second cousins I grew up with.
    They truly were the highlight of my childhood. We could go see them, they all lived right by each other, and the days were filled with all the wonderful childhood things , and the carefree way I always envy , when we had to go home. My parents felt happy there, and I heard my dad laugh at lot when he was there. Mama enjoyed talking and I would love to lay my head on my grannies lap and drift off , listening to their gently talking of the past. Most of it was about my grandpa who pasted of a massive stoke and it truly devasted the whole family. I can say the one thing I will always respect about my dad, which isnt many things now, is that he worshipped the ground his mother walked on , she never went without. She never had to work again, he said. He built her a house, took care of her when she was ill. She always came to our house to stay when she needed to get well, and she shared a bed with me, she always loved my bed, no matter what house we lived in , she choose mine. It was an honor to me, and she had a way to make all of her grandkids feel like they were just as special as the other ones. I have to say she has been my role model the kind of mother I wanted to be and the kind of granmother I want to be. This side of the family are very very spiritual. Sad to say back then, many of them never got an education and could not read or write very well, if at all. They ended up in the fields picking cotton until their fingers bleed to survive. THey didnt complain but they loved each other and felt it was a small price to pay to stay together.

Orangefatcat.......... I felt like you took the ideas I have of myself , right out of my head!!!!!!!!LOL

My mother ,, was almost full Irish, a little german on her dad's side way back. My mother was the exact opposite (except the height) of my dad, red hair, blue eyes and skin as white as this computer screen.

I always say that is the reason I am such an extreame person, bouncing from my moods all the time, because of my heritage........LOL....

You know you hear of the "fighting irish" ....true........ and "running around like a bunch of wild indians"........... true........... LOL So no wonder we are firey and have such tempers.....hehh

And the weird thing that happened.......... I married a man, that has the parents have the same back ground , WildTurkeys, dad' s family are indian and his mama is irish.

So our kids are a good strong mix of the irish and indian............ it explains alot........... so I give them alittle extra room , knowing they are just carbon copies of us and can't help that they are crazy...............LOL..........

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Windchaser,

Yes I have spent time in Apache country.

The Hopi tribes in and around the grand canyon, are extremely interesting.

I guess Iam a wanna-be native. My pick-up truck's coat hanger, sports a 'dream-catcher' with three eagle feather's. Not so much for any spritual conotation, just the fact that I love the artform. Although I must admit that I have had the feelings of being in a 'sacred' area, when visiting such historic sites in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Washington State. New Mexico a class unto itself.

I would love to plan a historic site tour, but Iam so caught up in work and family matter's right now, it would be hard to plan a definte trip.

But please keep me in mind, about any new adventures you may have experienced. I love to hear other's experiences when visiting these sites.

Regards,

Danny

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

orangefatcat

Gee whiz lyineyes, we share a common bond, my ancestors were also native Indians Ojibay and French and Irish. What a combination eh?

Are you SURE we're not related???

I have the exact same combination - mother is Ojibway and French - father is Irish decent

My grandmother (still alive) could go for her status card but at 93 she isn't interested. Here in Canada it seems since she is only half native she can only pass her status down to her children - which leaves me out

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

LyingEyes,

I'm originally from Louisiana and am familiar with the Caddoes Natchitoches Parish) which is one of the state recognized nations, as are the Clifton Choctaws (Rapides Parish), the Choctaw-Apaches of Ebarb (Sabine Parish), the Four Winds Cherokees (Vernon Parish). There are also four Federally recognized nations, including the United Houmas (Lafourche Parish), the Tunica-Biloxi (Avoyelles Parish), the Chitimachi (St. Mary Parish) and the Jena Band of Choctaw (LaSalle Parish). Of these, I have visited the reservation of the Chitimachi. They still make neat baskets.

At Epps, La. is the Poverty Point State Commemorative Area. This was the main trade and ceremonial center of a prehistoric Indian culture which furished more than three thousand years ago. Indians mounds here. Have you visited it yet? If not, it's a must on your tour list.

Of Indian movies, one of my favorites, is "Dances With Wolves." Have you seen it?

The Caddoes in La. and all Indians everywhere in the U.S. certainly got a bum rap. And, as far as I am concerned, the situation is still not rectified.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Kenneson, my family are a right next to the town of Zowolle, which I swear have no inhabitants but Ebarbs......lol...... thousands of Ebards. Just kidding there are others there, but many many by the last name Ebarb. I found out a year ago, one of my aunts had a baby at a very young age and gave the baby away, and the baby went to an Ebarb. None of the other of my dad's 10 brothers and sister knew of this baby either, which is very strange. Everyone just found out about her and were shocked that this secret was kept for so long, she is my age, and in our family secrets like this would be hard to keep. I went to school with many Ebarbs and since I have been so far from involved with my family, who knows I think we are related in more ways than one..... wasnt too long ago,, 2nd cousins would marry, it was just the way years and years ago. My irish mother used to make fun of my dad's side of the family saying they were all inbreed....... which it true if you go back several generations, it was not uncommon at all for 2nd and 3rd cousins to marry.

When I was a JW I alienated myself from my family, and didnt go down to see them. My mom is buried at St. Anne's cemetary in Robeline, and I never wanted to go there for the pain of the memories of a time I could never go back to.

Now that I am away from the JW pull, and have come to the realization that family ties are very important once again, I am starting to learn more of my family.

I am interesting in learning more about my ancestors and I don't have to look far on my dad's side, they all came from right there in the Natchitoches/Robeline/Powhattan area. I also want to learn of my mothers side, but will have to dig deeper to find out more about them. I do know my mom's side of the family had the name McClain,so that is a good start .

• Mulan
    Mulan

The Bureau of Indian Affairs will help you. There is a grant that allows them to send you FREE data that they have to anyone searching their Native American roots. That's how I found out everything about my NI ancestry.

Check it out. It's worth it. They sent me a disk with the whole genealogy, reprints of pages in a book, and photos of my great, great, great grandfather.

• santacruzchick
    santacruzchick

I have some Native American heritage as well, some Yaqui (who lived in northern Mexico) heritage, and a little Iroquios. I'll definitely have to check out that grant that allows you to trace your heritage Mulan, thanks for mentioning that.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Lady Lee, I am sure you have made that statement before, that you think we must be related. I am sure of it. We have had many similiarities. Maybe in another life. Who knows. I believe that is possible. Do you? I always believed that something pulled me to another side of life.

Orangefatcat.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OFC I think I have said it too before but hope it wasn't in another life - this one was hard enough VBG

I know I read something you posted the other day and thought the same thing but if I posted this thought everytime you post someone would think I was cyber-stalking you

We are going to have to meet one of these days and solve the mystery

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit