Creation: The big and the small of it

by Zechariah 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

pomegranate,

: There are modern geologists that agree with a global flood. Would you like me to list some of them for you with their credentials

Yes, please do. Simply put, you are a total moron if you think that someone who calls himself a geologist and believes in a flood is evidence that the field of Geology accepts the possibility of a flood. Yo wit, I know clergymen who believe in evolution. So does that prove that evolution is a fact? Mayeb it proves that evolution is consistent with belief in God? Do you buy that, or is your argument only valid when it suits your own purposes?

The whole field of genomics relies on the assumption that we evolved - so there's another example of how religious belief would have held back progress were it given free rein

When Jesus was up on the mountain top, how could the devil show him all the kingdoms of the earth unless the earth were flat. What does dwelling in the center of the earth mean? Or are you going to parrot that WTS nonsense about "circle" "carrying the meaning of sphere."?

It makes me feel bad, pomegranate that you are so emotionally incapable of accepting reality - but that's the fact of the matter. You see, personally I don't care whether we evolved or we were made by an alien from a can of instant human powder. All anyone can do is assess the evidence and come to the best conclusion we can. Or are you subscribing that evolution is an excuse cooked up so that people can indulge themselves in unchristian acts?

Gedanken

ps: how did kangaroos get to Australia and why are there none elsewhere?

• Realist
    Realist

since when are we discussing whether to believe in god or not? it was always about the believe in the bible. no one says god cannot exist...so to believe the universe has a deeper meaning is not unscientific...its just a choice of believe - with neither evidence for nor against it.

Edited by - realist on 23 October 2002 17:55:18

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

pomegranate,

You have only demonstrated that people who believed in God could make scientific progress - that does not mean they did it because of their belief in God. No more than a fundamentalist auto worker can build a car because he believes in God. The evidence is overwhelming - as your own behavior demonstrates - that religious beliefs tends to impede an objective examination of the facts which impedes progress in science.

You quote the example of Kelvin who estimate dthe earth to be 100 million years old, and no more. He's on your list. Do you accept his estimate? If so why? If not why not? Do you know anything at all about the people you put forth to bolster your beliefs?

Gedanken

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Many of the pioneers of global navigation believed the world to be flat.

That settles it, I suppose.

• Francois
    Francois

I'll get you for that little dig, Pom old boy. Just picture it: there we are in the Savannah River Ship channel, it's 19 degrees out and there's a steady, nagging breeze zephering in from the northeast (where else?), it's colder than a well-digger's ass, and you've just hooked up with a 65-lb Striper. Suddenly, some person unknown pours a ten-pound sack of shaved ice into your shorts. THEN you'll learn to make remarks about anyone's reading comprehension old boy.

francois

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Another popular idea in the 17th and 18th centuries was the PHLOGISTON THEORY.

phlogiston theory , hypothesis regarding combustion. The theory, advanced by J. J. Becher late in the 17th cent. and extended and popularized by G. E. Stahl, postulates that in all flammable materials there is present phlogiston, a substance without color, odor, taste, or weight that is given off in burning. Phlogisticated substances are those that contain phlogiston and, on being burned, are dephlogisticated. The ash of the burned material is held to be the true material. The theory received strong and wide support throughout a large part of the 18th cent. until it was refuted by the work of A. L. Lavoisier, who revealed the true nature of combustion. Joseph Priestley, however, defended the theory throughout his lifetime. Henry Cavendish remained doubtful, but most other chemists of the period, including C. L. Berthollet, rejected it.

Do you believe in phlogiston, Pom?

Some of them did, and they were PIONEERS (i.e., formal beginners) in their fields.

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

Nathan,

: there is present phlogiston, a substance without color, odor, taste, or weight that is given off in burning.

aka as "the force of fundamentalist argumentation..."

• Zechariah
    Zechariah

Expatbrit,

The Creator is the Creator by whatever name you call him. No one is arguing religion only the existence of a Creator. Don't try to obfuscate. I hope I used that word correctly. If not you know what I mean.

Zechariah

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Gedanken, ...here is a few...there's plenty more:

Steven A. Austin

• Creationist

• Geologist

• Ph.D. from Pennsylvania State University, doctoral dissertation on coal formation

• M.S. in geology from San Jose State University

• B.S. in geology from the University of Washington

• Consulting geologist for government and industry

• Member: Geological Society of America

• Member: American Association of Petroleum Geologists

• Member: the Society for Sedimentary Geology

• Member: the International Association of Sedimentologists

• Author of numerous papers including publication in the peer-reviewed journal International Geology Review (1999)

• Chairman of the Geology Department, Institute

Arthur V. Chadwick

• Creationist

• Biologist and Geologist

• Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from University of Miami (1969)

• Professor of Biology and Geology at Southwestern Adventist College, Keene, Texas

• Web site: geology.SWAU.edu

• Appeared in the motion picture, The Fossil Record

Elaine Kennedy

• Creationist

• Ph.D. in geology from the University of Southern California

• M.S. in geology from Loma Linda University

• B.S. in geology from Phillips University

• B.S. in teaching sciences from Phillips University

• Research scientist at the Geoscience Research Institute

John Morris

• Creationist

• Geological engineering

• Ph.D. and M.S. in geological engineering from the University of Oklahoma (1980 and 1977)

• B.S. in civil engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1969)

• Former research assistant at Oklahoma University (1978-1980)

• Former assistant professor at Oklahoma University (1980-1984)

• Member: American Association of Petroleum Geologists

• Member: Society of Petroleum Engineers

• Department of Health, Education & Welfare Mining and Mineral Fuels Fellowship

• Phillips Petroleum Graduate Fellowship

• Oklahoma Mining & Minerals Research Institute Research Grant

• Sun Oil Teaching Award (1980, 1981)

Andrew Snelling

• Creationist

• Geology

• Ph.D. in geology from the University of Sydney

• B.S. (hons) with first class honors in geology from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia

• Former editor of Creation Ex Nihilo Technical Journal in Australia

• Author of numerous technical papers dealing with origins and radioactive dating problems

Ker C. Thomson

• Creationist

• Geophysics

• D.Sc. in geophysics from the Colorado School of Mines

• B.A. in physics and geology from the University of British Columbia, Canada

• Author of numerous technical papers

• Former professor of geophysics at Baylor University

• Former professor of science at Bryan College

• Former director of the U.S. Air Force Terrestrial Sciences Laboratory

Kurt P. Wise

• Creationist

• Geology

• Ph.D. and M.A. in geology from Harvard University

• B.A. with honors in geophysical sciences from the University of Chicago

• Former student of Professor Stephen Jay Gould

• Author of numerous papers regarding origins

• Member: Geological Society of America

• Director of Center for Origins Research and Education (CORE) at Bryan College, Dayton, Tennessee, U.S.A.
    You have only demonstrated that people who believed in God could make scientific progress - that does not mean they did it because of their belief in God. No more than a fundamentalist auto worker can build a car because he believes in God. The evidence is overwhelming - as your own behavior demonstrates - that religious beliefs tends to impede an objective examination of the facts which impedes progress in science.

YOUR claim was faith in God and the Bible caused retardation of scientific progress, I PROVED YOU ABSOLUTLEY 100% WRONG.
    That ill-result was from the CHURCH, of which MOST scientists flatly DISAGREED with. My behavior has done nothing except to prove you WRONG and you are desperately trying to wiggle your way out of being WRONG by the obvious INSULTS that losers like you ALWAYS turn to when their put in the corner. Insults are thrown by LOSERS.

Done.

Your insults make you look like a very imature little boy, did I tell you that already? Oh yeah. I did.

Edited by - pomegranate on 23 October 2002 19:26:26

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Frank...

I'm really lookin forward to the big icing up. I bring a fifth of JD in my back pocket for times just like those....

<<brought to you by the Evelyn Wood speed reading course><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit