Letter read at Supplimentary Elder's School

by messenger 50 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

Even if it isn't authentic, it is indicative of what would be spewn forth in their litterature.

@@@@@@@@@@

I think most of us agree we don't know if this letter is true, but we all know that this is exactly how the org thinks BOTTOM LINE

SO for me as a former society man- this letter merely reflects the type of mindset coming out of the service dept and legal desk

if such a letter was sent out very few changes would need to be made- smile

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    When reading it, I had some reservations; the syntax is not the usual form that's used. If a lone ranger type from Legal wrote it, it would still have to be reviewed by another desk to make it conform.

My point exactly. My wife is a documentation writer for a software company. When she produces a document, it is reviewed for accuracy, but it is also reviewed for style. The purpose of the latter is to make sure that all of the company's documents have a consistent "feel" to the reader.

I'm sure the Watchtower has some similar process, since most of their material reads very consistently, almost as if one person had written everything. This letter doesn't fit the mold; it doesn't "feel" like something written by a Watchtower writer. As I said, if this is an approximation of what was said (such as a transcription of shorthand notes), that would be understandable.

But the fact that the letter was presented as being written on a letterhead implies to me that the text as given is not supposed to be an approximation, but the exact text of the document. If so, I am highly skeptical; it just doesn't have the Watchtower "feel" to it.

• footprints
    footprints

Lying sons o bitches. They go beyond what is written whenever in helps them consolidate power, or deceive people into joining their church.

• Berean
    Berean

As soon as we can see the scan to make sure of authenticity, it can be put to good use. Thanks.

Berean

• messenger
    messenger

The letter was transcribed from notes taken at the school, it is not accurate to the exact word but fairly close, the scriptures are correct as are all the references and quotes, this includes the announcement at the end. If any instructor wishes to provide his copy to compare, I would welcome the opportunity.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

transcribed from notes taken at the school

G'day Messenger,

This puts a different slant on it altogether. As I suspected, the syntax didn't 'ring true'. The letters from the Society I've been familiar with by actually reading or writing them have a certain "ring' to them. It would have been best then to have not attached a letterhead, etc as if it were an exact copy. Instead it's simply notes, albeit very full notes, taken at a meeting.

It would indeed be very useful to see an actual scan of the letter. Anyone??????

Cheers, Ozzie

• caspian
    caspian

Thanks Messanger for the advance info.

I am attending the supplementries this weekend in Britian.

I am going to post a summary (for what it is worth)

It will be interesting to see if The US still differ slightly in the policy from the UK.

Ozzie, although I expect a scan difficult to obtain, I will try to record the letter by tape

Cas

• JT
    JT

>It would have been best then to have not attached a letterhead, etc as if it were an exact copy. Instead it's simply notes, albeit very full notes, taken at a meeting.</FONT></P> <agreed- 
    one of the things about the net and folks here on the DB it matters not who one is </FONT></P> whetHer it is a former jw or current jw you will be asked to verify what one says</FONT></P> you can't just throw stuff up here on the board and it will be accepted, it would have been better it it was noted that this is a summation instead of THIS IS THE LETTER</FONT></P> There has never been in my opinion any need for former jw to embellish things about wt, the wt has enough stuff in print and their own paper trail to hang themselves over many times</FONT></P> JUST THE FACTS<
  • Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

interesting. Thanks.

I agree with the comments that the innitial post should not portray this as a word for word letter but should be edited to reflect more accurately that it is based on notes taken at the meeting.

I doubt few would feel the content is inconsistent with what the WT would have said and until an actual copy or a word for word transcript is produced it is likely sufficient for our general knowledge.

thanks again for sharing this.

Path

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

But if there are omissions in the transcription it could put a different light on matters. For example I would have expected a statement in the Society's letter that authorities should be notified of any accusation of pedophilia, even if the congregation could do no more when it is denied.

The recent events should have taught the Society at least that much. And that would be in line with being in subjection to the "superior authorities." Even if the congregation elders can't do much, they certainly can notify the authorities, or strongly suggest that the victim do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit