Women Only, Please.

by Robdar 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Has anybody on the forum ever had a hysterectomy? I am getting one this winter. I am scared shitless.

Anybody got any advice or war stories they want to share? I would appreciate your input.

Love,
    Robyn

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, for love is strong as death."

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((((((((((((((((((Robyn))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm so sorry that things have gotten to this point. Please take good care of yourself - I hope you are feeling better soon.

XW

• DJ
    DJ

Robyn,

Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I still have all of my parts....but I do know several women who have had the surgery. I would really strongly suggest that you get a second opinion and even a third, if you haven't yet. May I ask what the surgery is to correct? This is a very important issue for women. There is a foundation called the HERS foundation in PA.......they will send you everything you need to know. If you e-mail me your address, I'll get in touch with them and have them mail you a packet if you'd like. They are pretty much opposed to hysterctomy's unless absolutely necessary. The foundation was started by a woman who regretted her decision and it has grown into a huge foundation. It's been around for many years, now. I also want to suggest that it is almost always a very good idea to have atleast part of an ovary remain in your body. Are they talking about removing the ovaries too? Love, Dj

p.s. i think that you are very wise to be asking these questions!

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hi Robyn,

Yes, I had one in 2001 at the age of 36. Immediately after, my Doctor placed me on Estratest. I didn't have any problems with hot flashes or desire, but did have some problems with my heart feeling like it was racing, breathlessness and insomnia. They seemed to feel those symptoms (after ruling out other significant medical problems) were a result of the surgery and my body just adjusting.

I was later put on Estratest H.S. (half-strength) which we found did the job for me with less of the hormones.

I chose to have the hysterectomy because of my family history with Ovarian and Breast Cancer. (MY mom was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer at the young age of 42 and she lived until she was 48.) It was a Laparoscopy Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Nikita/Leslie

• RN
    RN

Hi Rob!!

No hysterectomy, yet. But I guarantee you if I start again with the same problems that lead to my first D&C about three years ago and then a D&C under general about 1 year ago, I'm game. Either a hysterectomy or ablation. I don't want to go through the monthy misery NOT having one would mean.

BTW, how's the knee mending?

RN

• manicmama
    manicmama

Hi Robyn!

Had my hysterecotomy at the age of 31, the same age as my sister. I am now 40. The best thing I have ever done. But then my choices were rather on the dim side. I had extreme bleeding along with extreme migraines and severe back pain. They could find no reason for any. 2nd and 3rd opions were not to hot on doing one on a 31 year old women. I eventually went back to by GP who I trusted immensely and he said are you sure you do not want any more kids??? I said hey, I have the 3 that I wanted and have no intention of having any more, not to mention I was living on the highest mg. vicodin, 4 per day and still working (barely!). I was begging for surgery! Granted I still have both ovaries, but I still bent through the hot flashes for 4 months (sorry, mom! I will never make fun of you again!) It's been 9 years and it's one of the best things that ever happened to me! Recovery was about 4 weeks for me, I was back to work with a light schedule. But I was in so much pain before that it was fantastic to feel hamna again! If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me! Good Luck!

• ugg
    ugg

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( robdar ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Robdar
    Robdar

((((((Xenaw)))))) thank you for your love.

((((((DJ)))))), Thank you for the information on HER. I will look it up on the internet. You are absolutely correct, I need to make sure that I get a second opinion. Thank you. Because I like my doctor so much, I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it.

((((((Nakita)))))), I will be on estrogen because this will be a complete hysterectomy. Thank you for the information on HRT.

((((((RN)))))), It is no fun to have a D&C.....I wish you well. My knee is getting much better, thanks for asking.

((((((ManicMama)))))) Thank you for sharing your stroy. I do have some questions so I will email you in a couple of days. Thanks.

((((((((((((((((((((((UGG!))))))))))))))))) Thank you for the cyber hug.

Love,

Robyn

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I had a hysterectomy at 30 years of age (uterus and ovaries), after a long battle of endometriosis. I'm 39 now and I would do it again in a heartbeat! The best thing I ever did. I do take Estrace 1mg. No surgery is fun to recover from just allow yourself time to heal and don't try to do things to fast afterwards

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi Rob

I have never had that operation...but my heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself and just know that we're thinking of you.

((((Gentle Hugs))))

~Beck~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit