Did anyone really ever study?

by freedom96 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

sometimes i wouldnt even bother turning up to the sunday meeting with a wt, let alone a wt that was underlined. Pre-study for a study?? no chance!! i'd rather be down the pub. the wt study was my chance to go outside for a walk about. i'd end up missing half of the material which made it all the more easier to try to enjoy the meeting.

• Shakita
    Shakita

When I was a brand-spankin-new JW I would study for meetings, even though I really had NO time and hated studying!

Later, after about a few weeksI starting getting tired of the underlining crap, only to come back and read it again during the study, then discuss it(usually with repeating the same material for a 3rd or 4th time). DUH, BRAINWASHING IN PROGRESS!!!

We used to sit in the back of the hall, last row of seats possible. One reason, because kids can be distracting to other drones who might want to listen and repeat the drival in the publishing companys rags. Second reason, because I never studied the propaganda before hand. If we sat in the very back, my paraniod, brainwashed mind thought that the other drones would not see I did not have my rag underlined.

Ahhhhhhhhh.........................the memories............so sweet!

Mrs. Shakita

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Depending how spiritual I felt at the time,I would either study really hard,looking up every scripture and writing them in the margins,or I would underline anything without reading the article so it would look like I studied.

All that studying was such a chore,and you were made to feel so guilty if you didn't study.The fact that it was all so boring certainly didn't help.I think the only time I ever even got the Watchtower read was during the Watchtower study on Sunday.I would be so bored going over the feature article again that I would read all the other pages in the Watchtower to keep myself from falling asleep.

No wonder they had such a hold over people....not a day could go by that you weren't studying or reading their propaganda!

• minimus
    minimus

I use to LOVE studying.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Really, minimus? You really LOVED to study? You know, I think it really doesn't have to do with the subject matter itself, it has to do with the person. If the person really likes to read and delve into the material that is going to be discussed, they will study deeply, underline, look up scriptures, and prepare answers. And, they will do this regardless of the time consumed in doing it. I know of a family with many children who would sit them all down to go over the WT for the Sunday meeting and this sister would make her kids(yes, very small children)sit there for sometimes over 2 hours going over the article. I always felt sorry for the kids when I heard this. In our house, when we DID go over the WT Sunday article beforehand, there was much fighting and arguing with the kids over things like answering, answering legibly, answering loudly, etc...... Stupid, Stupid, Stupid................. My head(translation=husband)went along with the WT in inculcating the WT dogma into our children's poor little heads by making them read and answer in a way that brought no disrepect to Jehovah. I, on the other hand, thought that kids will be kids, and they can answer or not answer, that is their choice. I was never very good at being a good subservient JW wife. This, in turn, made for many battles of wills during our propaganda indoctrination sessions with our kids.

Fast forward to today, and I still do not like to study. My husband does. I think it has to do with personality. The difference now is, we are not FORCED to study!!!!!!!

Have a nice day

Mrs. Shakita

• minimus
    minimus

The reason that I loved studying is because I felt that the only way to be a good teacher, whether in the fields or in the congregation, was to know your stuff. Now, I know enough "stuff", and I don't love studying anymore...unless it's apostate related.

• Shakita
    Shakita

unless it's apostate related........

That's where we are. Because there is a void when you decide to leave, I think by reading the ex-jw related material out there, it helps to reinforce your decision to leave a whole life behind. If it wasn't for Ray Franz's books, and the "apostate" web sites, we would have probably sucked up to the many "We miss you" visits by the brothers and sisters, and would be back at the KH right now. At the present time we are reading "The Sign of the Last Days--when?" and "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" by Carl Olof Jonsson.

Someone who believes that, "An Informed Apostate is a Good Apostate",

Mrs. Shakita

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I got to where I could 'study' a WT in 10 mins. I did it simply to look good for the mic handlers/elders. And because it was expected. The funny thing was people thought I had studious answers, so well thought out, etc. What balony. I made the sh*t up on the fly... the material was so grade school level it was easy.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

namewithheld

thats exactly what i thought, but i still didnt bother to answer. just felt it was a waste of time giving an answer everyone expected to hear.

• Lieu
    Lieu

---Didi anyone really ever study?---

Yes. I read over the material but never ever underlined any of it and I never looked at the questions as there was no point to it. I always thought it tacky and unsightly to write in books (other than coloring books, notebooks, etc.).

I used to look up whatever info I didn't know off hand in Concordances, etc. At times, I found myself either reading entire books of the Bible or reading the entire article for which a reference was taken. Then, when I got back to the study publication section, I saw where it was either misquoted, out of context, or made absolutely no sense. I found the study material took all of 10 min to read.

At the meetings, I would just sit and read the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit