Bible: Women are Inferior

by JosephAlward 38 Replies latest jw friends

• rocky220
    rocky220

First of all, the Bible as a whole was created by a patriarcal-based religion.....once again MEN of ancient times "speaking" on behalf of or "inspired" by or presuming to take the "will" of God for their own power & control.....hence the whole "Garden of Eden" incident [which IMHO is nothing but a myth]..........not to mention over the centuries of documented changes in re-publishing the Bible to further serve whatever ruler [a man] was in power, who would seize the opportunity to further benefit his agenda through the false indoctrination of the poor and ignorant masses....and of course to keep the woman in her "proper" place....rocky220

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

According to the Bible, yes.

The Bible was written for men by men, to control women.

That's why I put no stock in much of the teachings as presented by men of that era, and elaborated upon by those trying to publish the biblia.

Lots to think about.

Sentinel

• Francois
    Francois

The bible was written to uphold the social mores of it's time. And it does. Why should anyone be surprised?

Paul put his own personal opinions in the bible, and said that he did. Those about women are included in his opinions.

Personally, I think it's time to trash that book, and along with it trash the Koran. These two books are causing way too much trouble in people who don't have the grey matter to put them in proper context.

My two cents.

francois

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Francois, that is what I have always thought. Those men couldn't imagine a time, and wouldn't want a time, when men where not the "boss". I personally think that the biggest changes in society came when women could control their own fertility.

I remember reading "the cows in heat" thing on the forum earlier and being firmly insulted. Is that the same one that insinuates we are incompetent during PMS?

Excellent thread!

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Because Eve was deceived by the serpent, she is considered stupid. Yet, those dum dum bible writers never considered that Adam was braindead enough to then do Eve's bidding by eating the apple too.

Quien es mas stupida?

Andee

I'm with Francois, time to trash both the bible and the koran.

• SYN
    SYN
    If every man on earth disappeared today, the human race could continue using stored DNA in sperm banks, if the women disappeared the men would die out unless they could create an artificial womb.

Not 100% true. They would need to generate more men eventually to replenish their sperm supplies.

At the end of the day, men and women need each other. Nothing, not even a Holy Book (TM), can escape this crucial fact.

• dmouse
    dmouse

This is for real!!!!!! Watch out for the dreaded ovum!

*** Watchtower 1961 12/15 767-8 Questions from Readers ***

Second question:

How can girls guard against temptation in this sex-crazy world?

When a girl reaches the age of puberty or physical maturity, her body has developed in the matter of sex more than in the mind. Young folks like to be together, first in groups, later in twos. If they have not been instructed by their parents in regard to the matter of sex, a boy and a girl are likely to become too familiar and to engage in what is popularly called petting or necking. They may practice this for a time and see no bad results. However, the time will come when there will be great danger in such actions. Why? In answer to this question, we can learn about nature and sex from the bovine family of mammals, both wild and tame.
    Large herds of cattle, both male and female, wander over the plains feeding. Ordinarily the male or bull would not think of approaching the female or cow for sex purposes. If he did approach he would not receive a hearty welcome, but, rather, he might be gored by the cows horns. There is no petting or sex relations between bull and cow permitted, because the female is not in physical condition to breed. The bull seems to understand this and keeps in his own place. However, when the female of the species is in condition to breed, she makes the matter known. If there is no male in the herd, she will go elsewhere looking for one and she is unsettled until she finds one and then is bred by him. Now she is contented, and the end result is a calf. In this connection it is interesting to note that the male animal has no season at which he is not willing to engage in the breeding act.
    If we humans would take a lesson from these creatures, we would learn something of importance in matters of sex, as to its purpose and the results of its operation.As with a cow, when a young girl who has reached her puberty is in physical condition to conceive and become pregnant, her sex emotions are greatly aroused. If she has association with a boy, she is inclined to think that it is the sweetness of the boy friend that causes this delightful and new feeling, and so she becomes infatuated with him. If the boy friend should become sexually aroused and lets her know it and then she yields her body to the advances of the amorous boy friend, she is likely to become pregnant as a result of just one sex experience of this kind.
    Some persons foolishly think that they know when it is safe to have sex contact with those of the opposite sex and thus avoid becoming pregnant, but this is a serious mistake on their part. Even learned biologists do not know exactly when there is no danger of conception for a woman. This is due to certain irregularities in the case of various females.
    When the ovum, that is, the egg cell from which the baby starts, is at large or is on its way from the womans ovary through her Fallopian tube to the uterus, there it remains for an uncertain length of time, which varies greatly with different females. Then is the time when conception can take place if the ovum is met by a male life sperm. During that same time the female is sexually aroused and is ready for the sex act that at this time will cause a baby to result. This bearing of children is the sole privilege of the female. In fact, this is one main reason for creating the female of the human species.
    There are cases where a girl became pregnant as a result of one sex interview with a boy. What a price for a girl, a virgin, to pay for a few minutes of satisfied sex emotions! When persons start in this dangerous and sinful course, they find it hard to overcome future temptations. When a young, unmarried girl falls to the temptation, the price she pays is terrible: shame, sorrow, a ruined reputation, endless troubles, with the danger of being disfellowshiped from a congregation if the girl is a dedicated member. It is high time for girls to understand the make-up of their bodies and its functions, especially with regard to sex. Then if a girl understandingly takes care of herself while the ovum is at large and is causing sex disturbance and cravings within her, she will be able to act like a true lady of irreproachable morals at all times. She will avoid the violating of her virginity and the shame and conscience-stricken state due to this; and wisely she will direct her young life so as to end up in the position of a clean, happy wife and mother of legitimate children, journeying to the new world of righteousness, where there will be no sex problems amid a sex-crazy population.

• JT
    JT

So when does Paul slip into opinion mode, and when did he write according to what God told him? We are only left to guess! So we have this man's opinions guiding "Christian" teaching through the centuries. Hurray!

##########

hey you just got to love it - great point

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Don't hold much stock in what the Bible says. Not only was it written by men for men, it was also adulterated through the ages by other men. Half the Bible is missing, and the half that's there is destroyed. Women hold more power than we'll ever have. They have us all in line, don't be fooled.

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

• Francois
    Francois

I wish I could remember exactly where Paul said, in effect, "Now I receive no direction from the Holy Spirit on this matter, but here is my opinion...."

It seems wise to put what Paul says in context, that is, in HIS context. Paul was a Pharisee, a member of that particular sect that had a malignant view of women and no doubt this colored EVERYTHING he had to say about women, including the famous, "it would be better to remain even as I am (single), but it is better to marry rather than to burn (with desire)."

I couldn't agree more with the poster above who pointed out that men and women need each other. In my experience, we certainly do need each other and not just for procreation, either.

Does anyone doubt that Jesus had his own group of women evangelizers who, in the anti-female attitude of the middle east (which attitude persists to this very day), went out evangelizing to the groups whom Jesus knew would be open to listening to a female. I don't doubt that such a group of women existed. But who among the apostles would write about such a group of women? Not one that I can think of. Thus modern women are shoved into the same spiritual back seat accorded to them in the middle east two thousand years ago. This is criminal in my estimation. But take a look at the way the women of Islam are treated today - including the Burka (is that the way you spell "tent" in Islam?) they are forced to wear. In the middle east of Jesus, even a woman's shadow was considered to be evil. And all this, I believe, is the result of men wanting to make sure the children they were raising at great expense were actually theirs. Thus, the harem. And a bunch of other stuff. Nutz. Nutz. Nutz.

The question was pointedly asked above, essentially: how much of what Paul wrote was infected with his opinion and NOT labeled as such? No way of knowing is there? Better to disregard all that except for what you know to be true, like "God is Love." I wouldn't argue that one.

I think that women are superior in certain areas, and men in their certain areas, equal in others, and as noted, we need each other, and should respect the viewpoint and outlook of each other. Together we constitute FAR more than the addition of our respective parts; apart what are we?

My two cents.

francois

Edited by - francois on 16 October 2002 11:50:23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit