Bible: Women are Inferior

by JosephAlward 38 Replies latest jw friends

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

No teaching in the Bible is clearer and more consistent than the one which holds women to be inferior to men. Below I show that it is taught that the woman was created from man, for man, that man--not woman--is the glory of God, and that women are not allowed to teach or control man because the woman, not the man, is the one who was deceived by the serpent.

Elsewhere in the Bible it is taught that women are not as righteous as men, nor clever enough to enter into contracts, are not to ask questions in church, but to seek answers in private from their husbands, and are to treat their husbands as if they were God. It is any wonder that women had such a hard time gaining equal rights, when western civilization's principal moral guide was the Bible?

Here is the evidence that the Bible writers believed that God thought women were inferior and wanted them to be kept in a position of subservience:

Woman Belongs to the Man, Who Is the Glory of God

"I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.....For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (1 Corinthians 11:2-9) "For a man...is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."
    (1 Corinthians 11:2-9)

Note: if God thought that the woman, too, was the "glory of God," why didn't he have the Bible writer say so? Just As Man is to Christ, So Is the Wife to Her Husband

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body." (Ephesians 5:22-24)

In other words, in the same manner as the man worships the Lord, the woman must worship the husband. If the God the Bible-writers believed in considered man and woman equal, he would have had the writer instead say, "Couples, submit yourselves unto each other, as unto the Lord."

Women Can't Be Given the Freedom to Engage in Business

In the passage below we see that the Old Testament writer makes it clear that agreements entered into by the wife can be cancelled if the husband disapproves; once again the Bible places women in a subservient position. The man is the master of the women; the woman has little control over her life.

" If a woman living with her husband makes a vow or obligates herself by a pledge under oath and her husband hears about it but says nothing to her and does not forbid her, then all her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand. But if her husband nullifies them when he hears about them, then none of the vows or pledges that came from her lips will stand. Her husband has nullified them, and the LORD will release her." (Numbers 30:10-12)

Women Are to Keep Their Mouths Shut and Learn From the Husbands

The passage below makes it clear that the misguided Bible writers believed that women's opinion are not worth anything, especially in regards to matters of the church. Only the man's opinion matters:

" Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
    (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)

This is why many denominations forbid women to become ministers.

Fooled by the Serpent, So They're Not Fit to Teach or Guide Men Because it was the woman, not the man, who was tricked by the serpent--if you can believe the Genesis writer, women must never be given control over men:

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (Timothy 2:11-12)

Women Are Busy-bodies and Gossipers

If a widow has no one to take care of her and is under the age of 60 years, the people shall not take care of her because it's to be expected that she will marry again. Furthermore, such women can be expected to be busybodies and gossipers, because the Bible writers thought that is just the way young widows are.

" Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate....Let [her not] be taken [care of] under threescore years old..... [these] younger widows... will marry...And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not." (1 Timothy 5:5-13)

Thus, Paul, alleged to be the founder of Christianity, is seen stereotyping women negatively. Is this the attitude of a man who believes that women are his equal? Is this a teaching that you believe came from God?

The choice seems clear: Those who believe that the woman is not inferior to man cannot also believe that the Bible is the word of God and without error; one of these two beliefs has to be given up.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible" http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

Edited by - JosephAlward on 16 October 2002 3:6:25

Edited by - JosephAlward on 16 October 2002 3:8:57

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I work with a ton of women.

I hate it.

They are slow, mean, and vicious.

They like to crush men and hold them back. They also snipe and backbite each other.

I really think women aren't as clever as men. The modern fallacy of complete equality is nonsense. Men are stronger, smarter, easier-going, and better at math, art, music, and writing.

JT

• Gopher
    Gopher

czar,

Are men also better at sarcasm?

Joseph,

Your quotes are almost exclusively from Paul's writings. Maybe he had some sort of "woman problem".

You implied that God had some sort of influence over what Paul wrote. Yet Paul himself admitted that he often wrote from his own opinion. For example, Paul wrote at 1 Corinthians 7:25, "Now concerning virgins I have no command from the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who had mercy shown him by the Lord to be faithful". And 1 Corinthians 7:40, "But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my opinion. I certainly think I also have God's spirit."

So when does Paul slip into opinion mode, and when did he write according to what God told him? We are only left to guess! So we have this man's opinions guiding "Christian" teaching through the centuries. Hurray!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Spiritually speaking (i.e. the bible), spirit is male, soul is female. Try that Joseph, and see how it reads. Of special consideration to Jesus are widows. "take care then of your widows, so we may see to those who are widows indeed"

paduan

• SYN
    SYN

Have you guys seen the "Women Are Like Cows In Heat" article from an older Watchtower? That one was a classic!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Get outa town - where is it?

• butalbee
    butalbee
    No teaching in the Bible is clearer and more consistent than the one which holds women to be inferior to men. Below I show that it is taught that the woman was created from man, for man, that man--not woman--is the glory of God, and that women are not allowed to teach or control man because the woman, not the man, is the one who was deceived by the serpent.

Try telling this to your wife, and you'll be sleeping on the couch for now on....

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Paul was a mysogynist. Period. The idea that women are inferior to men came about when men realized women could do something they could not - create life, and women had long held the secrets about how to and not to do that. This undermined the authority of men, and so women had to be subjugated to keep them from attaining their natural place in the power structure. Prior to Christianity, women were the wise, the healers, often the leaders and the personification of diety which had been female in many cultures.

Today we are aware that women live longer and handle emotional and physical stress better than men. Female fetuses are stronger, more likely to survive premature birth and their hearts beat faster than those of male fetuses.

Women always have and always will be the stronger sex and the one more capable of survival without the other. If every man on earth disappeared today, the human race could continue using stored DNA in sperm banks, if the women disappeared the men would die out unless they could create an artificial womb.

Silverleaf - sick of hearing Paul's crap

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Hey there, Joseph.

Like what you post...

I'm no lover of Christianity, that's for sure. And I'd agree with silverleaf - I could care less what Paul or any of em' wrote. People who need to feel superior, and those who have a need too be dominated. And it ain't always the man doing the dominating either.

Actually I prefer balance in a relationship...I like my man doing the more physically demanding work who is also capable of compassion, tenderness, and letting me have my way. OH, I got one. Lucky me

Attitudes such as expressed in the Bible could very well explain why those guys were not married. Or were they? Oh well, I really don't care about the prophets of old. Give me a Goddess any day.

Granny

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

*YAWN*

Gotta run now, have a business to run....

XW of the "ROTFLMAO" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit