Trying to figure things out!

by RecoveringISFJ 15 Replies latest jw friends

• RecoveringISFJ
    RecoveringISFJ

Well, I made comments on a couple of post already, but I guess I should somehow introduce myself.  I choose the user name to hopefully try and identify my past while working for future changes in myself.  I’ve been in and out since I was a kid.  I was baptized when I got older because the fear of dying at Armageddon got to me. 

Well, my life is in turmoil right now.  Marriage is failing; wife is out of the truth, but not disfellowshipped and I’m just waiting for the divorce to be final.  Right now I still do have some fear of being outed by any lurkers in my hall that may read these comments.  I would be easily identified by my story.  Yes I’m paranoid, but at this time I can only deal with a few things right now.  Missed a lot of meetings and service (yes a lot of not at homes, so I know householders don’t miss me), and I get the occasional call saying where are you and so forth. 

I’ve read COC and it has opened my eyes.  I don’t want to be in anymore.  Really abandoned by everyone and nobody has a clue to the pain I’m dealing with.  I guess I knew all along it was false, but what really pushed me over the edge was the visiting speakers giving a talk at the convention about the “apparently Jesus meant overlapping generations” talk.  Wow, I don’t know how he can say that with a straight face.  I’m still trying to find a translation that says “overlapping” (just joking).

It’s funny; I have family in, but no friends at all, at least ones that can be considered real friends.  You know, we really don’t want to know anyone’s business, right?  I’m told to pray, personal study, meeting attendance and service.  Once I do these everything will be fine.  Wrong, did those things and marriage still failed.  Kind of a good thing though as my soon to be ex-wife hasn’t been faithful (infidelity) for a good part of the marriage.  I held on mostly because of scared of being alone and also to be considered a truly forgiving Christian, but you know what, I’m doing okay.

My therapist is helping me to overcome some of my past.  I’ve seen my mistakes and had to finally realize to stop doing things to make others happy, especially when they don’t deserve it.  That goes for being a witness too. Told I have capabilities, but never appointed.  After so many talks about reaching out, I’ve asked and was told “well you don’t really reach out, it just kinda happens”.  Well, that was eye opening.  Yes I was going out in service on the holidays when only two or three of us showed up.  Hypocrisy!

Well, now I’m just trying to find my way.  Don’t know how to make friends to be quite honest.  Been so use to false friends, the kind you only see three times a week.  Just trying to find my way and learn to start fresh.  Tired of the guilt trip!  My therapist says I’m on the way to doing that.  Honestly, seeing all of your posts here helped me to know that I’m not alone.  So I hope to be able to participate here to the best of my abilities, heal and move forward.  Mad that I’ve been lied to, but I should have known better!

• Simon
    Simon
    Right now I still do have some fear of being outed by any lurkers in my hall that may read these comments.

I wouldn't be too concerned - we always imagine we're more identifiable than we really are. Many people have similar stories to tell. It's one of the realizations when you leave that "it wasn't just you", lots of people have been through the same sort of things as you say toward the end:

Honestly, seeing all of your posts here helped me to know that I’m not alone

Anyway, I hope things work out and life improves. It helps to put it behind you and concentrate on creating a better life for the future rather than trying to enact any sort of revenge for the past.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

HI, Recovering!  Welcome, you are in the right place here to get a LOT of help.

First i would say to you, you really had no way of knowing better.  The psychology of mind control is extremely advanced and effective in the WT.  It's good you have started therapy.

I was like you, seeing the red flags but never allowing them to effect changes in my thinking.  With their training (which brainwashes you) it's automatic that when you see something wrong you make excuses for them.  (Cognitive dissonance going on all the time in my mind)

I've been in deprogramming here on this forum for awhile and one big thing I'm starting to understand is that I should not blame myself for being gullible.  Many people smarter than me have fallen for this WT cult.

Marina

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think most of us are happier for being out of the wtbts. Making friends takes a while. You can't stay at home and be a hermit. Get out in the community, do interesting things, meet people. I started making new friends where I live when I got involved in the community garden, for instance.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Hi Recovering,

I was a dub for 57 years. Always had serious doubts about our weird little religion, but being raised in"da troof" you just sort of close your mind to rational, logical thinking and go along. My whole family are jw's and that makes it difficult. When I finally could not go along any longer with the ridiculous crap that the wtbts was teaching, I resigned as an elder and kinda went crazy for several years. I should have been seeing a therapist, didn't and I suffered much mental anguish. I became very depressed and finally checked myself into a mental health facility where I got help dealing with my cognitive dissonance.

When I finally accepted ttatt and told my wife (of 45 years) about how I felt, she was going to leave me because I was an "evil apostate" you know. Been out mentally (sort of faded away) now for 5-6 years but not df'ed or da'ed. My wife is beginning to understand also that the 'da troof' is not 'da troof'. It's been quite a ride (as many of us here can testify) but well worth the anguish since my life is now mine. The freedom is exhilarating! Time to pursue the things I loved but neglected is very rewarding/satisfying. My wife, though still active as a dub, has seen a happier, better me and I know that she knows why. You can't go back in time to reclaim all those lost decades but, you can live a very fulfilling life now and in the future. 

Hang tuff because it will get better and hopefully (if you want it) your wife will someday see ttatt. You're doing the right thing by getting therapy.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• RecoveringISFJ
    RecoveringISFJ

Thank you all for your encouragement!  I always start to feel better when I am not at the meetings or doing anything with them.  It's when i allow myself to be guilted (don't know if that's an actual word, oh well) into going to one, then the anxiety starts.  I tried hinting to my soon to be ex-wife about things, but little did I realize she was already making her plans with someone else, again!  I would like to tell me family, especially my mom, but she would be crushed about not seeing my dad again, so I let it be.

The therapist is definitely helping a lot!  He says I am at the point where I am now "not taking it anymore" like my Dad use to tell me.  Scariest thing is being older and starting over.  He suggests I go back to school and I think I might just do that.  If I would have kept up with it years ago... oh well.  Just learning not to look back and just to look forward. 

My children are seeing things and don't want to be involved either, especially when some of the kids in the hall have been rough with them about being bad association because of what their mom did.  Me and my kids are moving on together and rebuilding our lives.  Now I am making sure they get to college and have a future and friends and retirement and a good paying job, things I missed out on.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

It can be very disorienting to leave that world that we used to live in. But I've found the adjustments to be worth it.

• millie210
    millie210

Hi and welcome!

Your post was very open and honest. You sound like a really nice person. You will find yourself among friends here. 

• clarity
    clarity

Hello ...welcome to jwn, hang in there because it is a roller coaster ride for sure!

One step at a time .....no Armageddon to worry about now.

wishing you all the best

clarity 

• scary21
    scary21
      You seem to be on the right path.....  A big  WELCOME!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit