Which "APOSTATE" Site Helped You Out ...

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• UnDisfellowshipped
  • Englishman
    Englishman

Definitely Watchtower Observer, especially in it's older format.

Englishman.

• Perry
    Perry

I left of my own initiave. But H2O & WT Obserever helped set me free.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Beyondjw.com was the first site I went to. I was still a very strong JW and did this just out of pure curiousity. I read like two essays and got out of there fast! I was literally cold sweating and my heart was beating so fast . Even then I thought my reaction was a bit irrational, but promised myself not to ever go on apostate sites again.

The real breakthrough came when I accidentally went on to Quotes' website (I was actually looking for the Societies website). I found it strange that he had a warning about finding it dangerous to read watchtower quotes, but now I know why . It didn't take me long to realize that it ws an "apostate" site (not very subtle with the red and green highlights, Quotes ), but since this was stuff from the magazines, I felt compelled to read since I felt I had a right to know. This really shook me up to do some research, which eventually led me to Freeminds, Beacon, Watchtower Observer, and of course, JW.com (I lurked for a good while before I registered and started posting). Ray Franz's books eliminated any thoughts I had about the JW's being "the truth".

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

This is a wonderful place to vent, but John Ankerberg's series of discussions with 4 ex Jehovah's-Witnesses, including Lorri MacGregor and Joan Cetnar, helped me tremondously.

• Sabine
    Sabine

It's interesting to trace back the sequence of events...I've changed so much in the last four years.

Of course my daughter's suicide was the beginning of the end for me...but for a couple of years I was just resigned to happily die at armageddon as my personal protest to Jehovah for how his "organization" had treated me and my family. Boy does that sound pathetic to me now...but it was a coping mechanism, it worked to keep me sane.

Then I started searching the internet...came across WT quotes on mediator. I couldn't believe I had missed this important point...then when I showed my husband (an excellent student), he had also missed this point....got us wondering what else we "missed".

Then we read Franz books, many books on cults, then I posted my story on Tim's site. I met many supportive people there. Then I started posting here and have also met many wonderfully supportive people. I no longer anticipate dying at armageddon and I don't think any Jehovah-like creature is responsible for what happened to me. I don't have any formal religious ideas, and except for missing my daughter, I am happier than I've ever been in my whole life.

• Shakita
    Shakita

This site most definitely...Freeminds, and two very special people, my wonderful Son and his beautiful Wife. Love you guys,

Mom

• minimus
    minimus

Isn't it interesting that the Society's own words is what really gets them at the end?

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

The first site that I went to is beyondjw.com. Then I came here, and I actually read here more then I post, but have learned lots from reading. Thanks everyone for all your input it really does help others.

Leslie

• ballistic
    ballistic

I was another beyondjw.com. This comes up in the search engines quite near the top of some searches. I spent a few months on beyond before coming here. Even though I was out for 8 / 9 years, I still owe a lot to that site and this one for making things clear in my mind. Beyond is a very different experience. It's slower. You have to be willing to post and check back later for a response. On the plus side, you will nearly always get a well thought out response, there are less flame wars and less trolling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit