Larc's weekend survey

by larc 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, larc.

I am 54 years old. I was an active witness from April of 1963 (baptized in 1965) until June of 1979.

I came from an abusive family; so, as a teenager, I found it far preferable to be in the company of the witnesses than my family. It was certainly better to be "love bombed" for hours at a time than beaten, cursed at, and sexually assaulted. My life was so circumscribed that becoming a witness actually OPENED the world to me in many ways, affording me opportunity to travel and to have people take an interest in me.

Of course, once one is baptized, the witnesss life is straight downhill. I was 15 years old when I started publishing, and probably suffered less neurosis, because of cult-induced euphoria, than I had as a non-JW teenager. The other teenagers in my congregation were at the rebellion stage and were actually lots of fun, and afforded me opportunities for something of a social life, which, as a shy, timid teenager with zero confidence, was a great benefit. But, for the downhill part, I went to college and was inactive for a couple of years; and, because of my guilt, refused to enjoy the great experience of being in college. Then I married a JW elder, and life got crappier and crappier to the point where I had what I believe was a nervous breakdown. Oh, yes, I had depression, low self-esteem, anxiety and neurosis (not sure about psychosis), and hopelessness.

After 1975 came and went, I got extremely neurotic and anxious. I was afraid I might have to live another 50 or more years and knew I was totally unprepared.

Bit by bit, things have improved since I left. Because I have the problems of being a woman without much of a support system and because I have a physical disability, life is still somewhat difficult. Jobs give me a lot of heartburn. Abusive people can identify me as a great potential target at 100 miles. But, all in all, life is good and keeps getting better. I am happier and more secure in every way than I have ever been before, so I'll rate myself a 5 because of my life as an adult JW.

Thank you for asking.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

1. your age = 25

2. how long were you a Witness = 22 years

3. how long have you been out of the religion. = 3 years

4. which of the following symptoms did you experience as a witness.

4a. depression = yes

4b. low self esteem = yes

4c. anxiety = yes

4d. psychosis = no

5. Today, which of those symptoms do you have? Low Self Esteem but I think that is because I am obsesive compulsive about my weight

6. Today, how would you rate your overall degree of happiness 1. much less happy than as a JW 2. somewhat less happy 3. just as happy 4. somewhat more happy 5. much more happy.= 5

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

1. your age - 30

2. how long were you a Witness - since birth - 20 years

3. how long have you been out of the religion - Stopped attending regurlarly at age 20, went to meetings for 2 summers when home from college, stopped going to the memorial 3 years ago.

4. which of the following symptions did you experience as a witness

a. low self esteem (steroids fixed that)

5. Today, which of those symptoms do you have?

a. depression (this site and BBC / Datline programs fixed that)

6. Today, how would you rate your overall degree of happieness. - 5. much more happy

Edited by - TTBoy on 14 October 2002 1:43:45

• Angharad
    Angharad

Age 26

Raised in troof baptised at 16

About 2 and a bit years roughly - lost track cant remember !

4 - low self esteem & Anxiety

5 - low self esteem (but working on it) & Anxiety(although I worry about other things now - I'm just a worrier!)

6 - Much more happy

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

1. your age (36)

2. how long were you a Witness (26 yrs)

3. how long have you been out of the religion. (2 yrs)

4. which of the following symptoms did you experience as a witness.

4a. depression (YES)

4b. low self esteem (YES)

4c. anxiety (YES)

4d. psychosis (NO)

5. Today, which of those symptoms do you have? (NONE)

6. Today, how would you rate your overall degree of happiness 1. much less happy than as a JW 2. somewhat less happy 3. just as happy 4. somewhat more happy 5. much more happy. (MUCH MORE HAPPY)

• talley
    talley

1. 60

2. 10 yrs very active, 15 yrs. active off & on, 13 yrs. inactive

3. 4 months (after reading both of Franz's books, thanks to this discussion board)

4. (a.b.c.d.) none

5. none

6. (5.) - much more happy

respectfully, talley/Judy, of Island Woman's old = stupid & senile class

• RN
    RN

# of years in: 26

# of years out: 6

symptoms: depression, low self-esteem, anxiety

symptoms still experienced: depression and anxiety, intermittently

Definately much more happy

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

1. your age - 30

2. how long were you a Witness - never

3. how long have you been out of the religion. - never was in a religion

4. which of the following symptoms did you experience as a witness. - see #2

4a. depression - never had it, never will

4b. low self esteem - did I mention that I am my own god?

4c. anxiety - I can't wait to post this!

4d. psychosis - I always live in the real world

5. Today, which of those symptoms do you have? - none, but crazy wasn't on the list.

6. Today, how would you rate your overall degree of happiness 1. much less happy than as a JW 2. somewhat less happy 3. just as happy 4. somewhat more happy 5. much more happy. - If your happy and you know it, clap your hands ((((clap clap)))).

Boy, don't I just sound like a bundle of joy!

To everyone that does suffer from these illnesses, my sympathy goes out to you. I hope that you all can find some kind of peace and try to enjoy life and live it to the fullest!

• rem
    rem

Could you please take a few minutes to answer the following questions:

1. your age: 26

2. how long were you a Witness: Raised in it and left at 23

3. how long have you been out of the religion: 3 years

4. which of the following symptoms did you experience as a witness: None of these

4a. depression

4b. low self esteem

4c. anxiety

4d. psychosis

5. Today, which of those symptoms do you have? None

6. Today, how would you rate your overall degree of happiness 1. much less happy than as a JW 2. somewhat less happy 3. just as happy 4. somewhat more happy 5. much more happy: 5

I hope to get at least a hundred replies so we can see the overall results.

Thanks.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Age -75

Was a JW from 1963-to 1987 -Baptised for 21/half years ---the rest of the time studying

Out? I was Df in 1987

I had 4.b -low self esteem when in!

I dont have any of the above symptoms now! (just a little nuts-but I dont think any of us leave intact)

Am I happier now I am out?

Are you kidding.... I am so happy!!!! Although as a JW-everyone used to tell me I was the happiest JW they knew----- They should know me now!!!!!

Me thinks its even going to get better ( when I see Jesus ( No stoning please.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit